Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I haven't taken the test yet either, but am also hoping for 700 (or higher, of course :P ). I also think that a lot of the mistakes I've made on practice tests are silly mistakes, that I then validate when I see the answer among the choices (evil choices - must double check). But I'm hoping stress on the day of the test will make me more careful, not less.

I'm leaving the last PP CAT test for the night before the real thing just so I can get a good score on it (I ought to, since I'll have seen most of the questions in the OG I assume) and go into the actual test feeling confident about it. Maybe you can try something like that? I really think that confidence and mastery over stress are vital to getting a 700+, since I have a few friends who got so nervous during the test they had to read everything 5 times and didn't get to finish all questions. I am trying to psych myself up so that doesn't happen to me.

Sorry about the ramble, I realize it might not be what you're looking, particularly because I have no results yet to validate it, but let me wish you good luck anyway ok?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As a disclaimer, I have not yet taken the GMAT...but have studied for the past 3 months, score about 740 on PP and about 660 on Kaplan. I'll put in my two cents.

I think the single biggest thing you can do to improve is to take one question at a time. Sounds dumb and simple, but if you make that question all you think about in your mind, not worrying if it is #2 or # 37, or if it is easy or hard, then you will improve your score. Also, when your get your answer, esp. is PS, plug it back in, or get it two different ways - quickly of course. You also need to be at the point where you do not need to consciously think about timing, it should be natural.

Fianlly, AkBrah said something about this earlier, and its sooooo true, when you study, IT IS THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU MISS THAT WILL IMPROVE YOUR SCORE!!! When you miss a problem, in any section, learn why. What good does it do you to study and make the same mistake again and again? NONE!! I keep a notebook - three sections - one for math, one for SC and one for CR. When i get a problem wrong, I write it down in there. This gets added to EVERY time I study. Before I do some SC practice, I review that section in my notebook. Sound crazy?? I dunno, but if I am putting all this time into studying, why not be the BEST. At first I loved doing PS problems - bc I would get 98% of them right. What good does that do??? I didnt want to do SC b/c I would write soooo many wrong sentences in the notebook. but thats the only way to improve.

Also, I do RC at the end of my practice sessions, when my eyes are the most drained and it is the last thing on earth that I would want to do at that time. I figure that way those are the roughest conditions that I will face.

good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great inputs!!! [#permalink]
Now even i feel it must be the stress on the test day that does the magic of making or breaking ur GMAT score.
I liked the suggestions given by mciatto of making the notebooks one for each PS,SC and CR. I already have notebooks for SC & PS but not for RC or CR can u tell me, mciatto, how u track ur weaknesses/ mistakes in RC and CR, I've just marked the questions I've done wrong and normally those questions are wrong as i could not decide between the last 2 choices and the choice i missed was the right one and so when i actually check the answers i can figure out why i was wrong. But i failed to understand how to put them in an error sheet to improve further. Please share ur experience.
GMAT Club Bot
Great inputs!!! [#permalink]