GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 12:12


GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance


we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.


Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Eval Request

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Joined: 11 Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Profile Eval Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 10:31
I'm working on a list and wondering how substantial the benefits of waiting another year would be. I would only wait if there were a substantial shift upward in my chances at Tier 1 schools that would be negated by a first attempt.

I graduated from a mid-tier NESCAC school with a 3.1 GPA in 2015, with an upward trend in grades as I had a 3.3 for Junior year and a 3.5 Senior year. After graduating I worked at a startup real estate company for a year in sales and business development. I took the GMAT and got a 740 (q48 v44.) Then, I switched out of business development into finance, and got a job in Venture Capital/Debt where I've been for about half a year doing credit analysis and valuations at a small fund that focuses on investments that have a social good. I believe the skills that I would learn while getting an MBA would allow me to help the small business I work with grow, and I want to better serve as a consultant to the company's we provide with capital.

I have one very strong recommendation from my current boss who holds an MBA from one of my target schools and is very involved with their entrepreneurial program. My second recommendation will likely be from a college professor from my international studies classes. I would frequently meet with him one on one and believe he would be able to write a genuine and personal rec.

My extracurriculars are not great, although I have done a little volunteering (<10 hours), not even sure it's worth mentioning.

I am working on a list. I think management schools might be better for me than finance schools as I'm interested in asset management. MIT, Berkeley and Yale are targets at this point. I don't think H/S/W are in the cards. I would prefer to start September '18.

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 200
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Profile Eval Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 12:28
Hey BSchoolImpact

Thanks for all the details and what an interesting career path! For someone like you who is already in VC, b-schools will be curious how they can help you. It sounds like you are saying you want to go back to VC, and while that's not a bad thing, you need to make the reasons why very clear. What will be different for you post-MBA in VC? What are the skills you are missing now?

Your GMAT is great and I like the GPA story, although I am a little worried if the overall GPA comes in at 3.1, which is typically outside of the 80th percentile of b-school GMAT ranges. (Either that or it's the very bottom of the range.) I would like you to take some actions to mitigate this if it is indeed 3.1. My top recommendation is to complete HBX Core. It's not cheap, but if you can do well, it's a great signal. By necessity, this might mean delaying your apps a year. I do think you'll be a stronger candidate next year once you've really settled into the VC firm and made some time for extracurriculars.

Re: schools, remember that any top b-school is going to give you a great management education. Before you write off a school as a "finance school," attend an info session and talk to current students about their favorite classes and activities.

My reaction to your school list right now is that you have chosen the smallest b-schools out there! Plus, small schools with low admit rates. As such, it's a tough list. I'd like some safer options. If you can make a persuasive argument to Kellogg, they may dig your VC experience and I know they'll like your GMAT.

You seem like an interesting candidate who would get a lot out of a free consultation. I recommend you set one up with us at your convenience. See the link in my signature.

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Eval Request

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.