It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation ~3 years to MBA (M7 or Canadian)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation ~3 years to MBA (M7 or Canadian) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 16:11
Plan to apply at ~28/29 yo, white female Canadian

Undergrad: BBA in Accounting (lesser known school)

GPA: 3.6 - debating take a few extra courses to bump up some of my B's

Work Experience:
Current - big 4 audit, will have CPA
Past - 2 years full time at CRA while full time in university (not sure if I'd even want to include this)

GMAT - have not yet completed

Target schools - Tuck, Yale, Ivey (CAN,) Queen's (CAN,) Rotman (CAN)

So my profile is obviously very vanilla, I'm looking for advice on what I can do to stand out in the next 2 years so that I might have a shot at an M7. LT goal is to break out of accounting and into finance.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation ~3 years to MBA (M7 or Canadian) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there - thanks for writing! A few points to address your questions:

- A 3.6 is pretty solid, and the CPA will add to your academic achievements. If you get a strong score on the GMAT (700+), I don't think you'll need to focus on the undergrad Bs). And yes, if you were working full-time during college, ABSOLUTELY mention that! AdComs most certainly will take this into account
- Academics aside, you'll want to show your professional impact on your resume - what have you achieved in your role (rather than your responsibilities)? Also, you'll want to have your recommenders attest to your performance and potential, particularly in relation to your peers (for example, have you been promoted early or trusted with extra responsibility/mentoring others?)
- Are you involved with any extracurriculars outside of work? If not, definitely consider getting involved in something personally meaningful between now and when you apply

Hope this helps a bit! Let me know of any other questions :)

koolaid wrote:

Work Experience:
Past - 2 years full time at CRA while full time in university (not sure if I'd even want to include this)

So my profile is obviously very vanilla, I'm looking for advice on what I can do to stand out in the next 2 years so that I might have a shot at an M7. LT goal is to break out of accounting and into finance.

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation ~3 years to MBA (M7 or Canadian) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 19:04
mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hi there - thanks for writing! A few points to address your questions:

- A 3.6 is pretty solid, and the CPA will add to your academic achievements. If you get a strong score on the GMAT (700+), I don't think you'll need to focus on the undergrad Bs). And yes, if you were working full-time during college, ABSOLUTELY mention that! AdComs most certainly will take this into account
- Academics aside, you'll want to show your professional impact on your resume - what have you achieved in your role (rather than your responsibilities)? Also, you'll want to have your recommenders attest to your performance and potential, particularly in relation to your peers (for example, have you been promoted early or trusted with extra responsibility/mentoring others?)
- Are you involved with any extracurriculars outside of work? If not, definitely consider getting involved in something personally meaningful between now and when you apply

Hope this helps a bit! Let me know of any other questions :)

koolaid wrote:

Work Experience:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review! I'm glad you mentioned I should mention my working full time during university, I definitely wasn't planning on mentioning that! I'll just have to find a unique extracurricular in the next few years, hmmm. Thanks again!

Posted from my mobile device

Profile evaluation ~3 years to MBA (M7 or Canadian)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap