Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation and shortlisting Canadian B-schools for 2019 intake [#permalink]
Kudos
The closer you are to a school's GMAT, the less a problem.
However, GMAT is not the only factor here.
Also, a lot of these schools look at Indians to take their averages up, so a low score may not help much considering your background.
All said your profile has the goods to take you through in some of these schools.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Sumitdave wrote:
Hi Varun,

Thank you for your reply, how about other B-schools like Ryerson, SFU, etc. which are also good, but I could see that their Average GMAT is somewhere around 612-630?

Thanks,
Sumit

MBAkarma wrote:
Hello Sumitdave

Though your profile is good, with this GMAT it will be tricky.
CFA will add some weight but perhaps not enough to compensate.
People do get in with low scores in these Canadian schools, but as an Indian you may face a stiff competition.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Sumitdave wrote:
Hi,

I seek advise in shortlisting Canadian B-schools for 2019 intake with the help of my profile below:

I am a Chartered Accountant (CA) from India with two years of work experience post completion of CA.

I've done my articleship in Deloitte for three years in statutory audit (catering companies of various industries including but not limited to NBFC, Asset management companies, infrastructure, Insurance (Life/General - both), etc.). Out of aforementioned three years, two years of work has been post graduation.

My post qualification work experience as a CA has been divided into two areas, as a valuation analyst for 1 year (have valued mostly US based start-up companies) and one year as assistant manager finance in automobile industry.

I have also cleared CFA Level-2 exam in June 2018 and am planning to give Level-3 exam in June 2019. I have volunteered for Make-a-Difference (NGO) for one year as a teacher.

I have done my B.com from Mumbai university with 67% in T.Y.B.com [I don't know if my FYBcom and SYBcom score matters, but it is 55% in each year]. My score in SSC-78.92% and HSC-81%.

Having mentioned above background my GMAT score is a bit on lower side. It is a 610 (Q48V27), IR 55% and AWA 6.0 (89%). I do not intend to reappear GMAT and am looking for 2019 intake in good university.
[Other extra curricular includes participation in half-marathon for a cause, street play in college and making of a youtube short film which got 160,000+ views and 1k likes and 500 subscribers for a zero budget movie made in a week's span.]

Rotman has a GMAT waiver for a candidate who has cleared all three levels of CFA, since my Level 3 is in June 2019, I wont be able to go for this waiver, however, I wanted to know much weight would my CFA Level-2 would add weight to a low GMAT score.

I am looking for Universities like Rotman, Schulich, Ryerson, Alberta, HEC montreal, Sauder, etc. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me understand my chances. Further, If you can suggest good B-schools as per your view, it will be of great help. I am looking for B-schools with placements of above 85-90% within 3 months of graduation and average compensation above CAD 80,000.

Thank you for reading my profile,
Sumit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation and shortlisting Canadian B-schools for 2019 intake [#permalink]
Hey
Please evaluate my profile for canadian bschool.
I am planning to apply for fall 2020.
X-92
XII-75
Grad(Engineering)-70
Work exp-2.5(IT)
Gmat score-690

I was very active in sports and cultural activities through my schooling. Worked with 2 ngo’s.
I have my youtube channel as well.
I excelled as a leader for my college dance crew taking it to the best arounf the city.

What all mba universities do i have a legit chance to get in!?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Profile evaluation and shortlisting Canadian B-schools for 2019 intake [#permalink]
Sarthak012 wrote:
Hey
X-92
XII-75
Grad(Engineering)-70
Work exp-2.5(IT)
Gmat score-690

I was very active in sports and cultural activities through my schooling. Worked with 2 ngo’s.
I excelled as a leader for my college dance crew taking it to the best arounf the city.

A few thoughts on your profile Sarthak012:
  1. The basic contours look decent. It will be however important to understand the details of your work, achievements and how you intend to differentiate given the last pool of IT applicants out there.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection chances. That being said, given the point above, it might be worth considering another take at GMAT if you think you can bump it up by say 20+ points.
  3. These are the best MBA programs in Canada. Start doing your research on the program and assess the overall fit.
  4. School level stuff won't have a lot of benefit. Think about more recent efforts on ECs and bring those out well.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Sarthak012 wrote:
Hey
X-92
XII-75
Grad(Engineering)-70
Work exp-2.5(IT)
Gmat score-690

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Sarthak012,

Happy to help! We like to break different aspects of the application into the following buckets to make everything clearer.

GMAT – You have got 690 score. This falls in the median range of the schools that you are targeting. For Canadian B-Schools GMAT score range is from 550-770. So with your current GMAT score you are eligible to apply for top Canadian B-Schools.

Education – This is something that is written in stone and you cannot change. You have got average GPA. It would be helpful to mention your standing in your batch if your GPA is not on a scale of 4.0. Your academic and GMAT score is considered whether you can handle the academic rigor or not.

Work Experience – Since you are from IT background and most of the candidates applying to Canadian B-Schools are from IT background it would be very competitive for you. Your work experience is below average for Canadian B-Schools. Also, it is important to not just reiterate the job profile that you have. It is imperative to showcase the achievements and the awesome things that you have done, the initiatives you have taken, the awards you have received etc. It is better to have 4+ years of work experience for Canadian B-Schools.

Extra Curricular – This section tells the ADCOM about your overall personality and helps them relate to a person instead of a resume. Make sure that you bring out your hobbies, voluntary work and achievements outside work in this area. You seem to have good extra curricular from your academics but you do not have any extracurricular in your professional journey to elaborate in your essay which showcases your leasdership quality.

Essays: This is the section of the application that is in your control and typically carries a lot of weight in the final decision. Each school provide different topics for essays and you need to ensure that you chose the right stories for the questions asked and differentiate yourself from the rest not only in the stories but also in the way you present them. You need to showcase the leadership quality in you and impress the Adcom in order to shortlist your application.

We have been working with students from the past 10 years and helping them get into their dream school by ensuring that they know what and how to write in the essays.

Based on our initial analysis, we have the following school recommendations for you:
1. Rotman School of Management.
2. McGill University.
3. Telfer School of Management- University OF Ottawa.
4. Mcmaster University - Degroote school of Business.

Finally, we could help you in a better way if you can answer the following questions.
1. What are your post-MBA goals?
2. Are you targeting 1 year or 2 year programs?

Hope this was helpful!
Kindly visit our website if you would like to know more details about MBA application process. Also, try our unique tool "B-School Selector" which provides the list of B-Schools where you have fair chances of getting an admission based on certain parameters like, GMAT Score, Work Experience, International Work Experience and Academic Scores.
GMAT Club Bot