GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation and suitable course

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User
Profile evaluation and suitable course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2020, 02:34
Hi, Admissionado,

I've pursued Master of Science, majored Biotechnology, from Gujarat University and i do have work experience of ~9.5 years in biologics manufacturing sector in India. Recently, 1 year back, i have switched the function from manufacturing sector to Business Development of a start-up, ~3.5 years old, which manufactures (propitiatory) Bioreactor for Biologics sector. Meanwhile i was preparing for the GMAT and i took the test in Dec-19 but i scored poorly, scored 470, especially in verbal section. Nonetheless, after chill of a month, i plan to resume my preparation to achieve target score of 750+ to get admission in top 10 B-schools. My concerns are mentioned below.
1) Shall i prefer for P.hd. in management or MBA?
2) What are best B-schools and courses for my profile?
3) Lately, Harvard B-school introduced MS + MBA with Biotechnology. So, is it better or other courses are better for me? As it's recently started, what is the profile and admission details for the course of current/past batch? What GMAT score is preferred for the course? What opportunities will be for me with the course?
4) Are there any similar MBA courses with Biotechnology? If yes, what are requirements for those B-schools?

Your guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Raxit.
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation and suitable course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2020, 01:25
Hi Raxit,

Based on the limited amount of info you provided, and especially not knowing what your long term goals are, it's hard for me to advise you on which programs are best suited to you since it all depends on what you want to achieve and how additional education will help in that endeavor.

That said, based on your years of experience my concern would be that even if you were able to get a 750 GMAT score, the adcom at the top 10 programs may think that you're a better fit for an executive MBA program. The average years of experience for the top programs is around 5 years. By the time you attend, you will have 10 years. It's more challenging for older applicants to get into these programs because the schools are looking for students that have enough experience to contribute in the classroom, but still open to new ideas and ways of thinking. In addition, the adcom prefers to give a spot to someone who really needs an MBA to achieve their long term goal, vs. someone who has enough experience to do it without the education. For you to be successful, you need to convince them why you need the MBA to achieve your LT goal, and why you want to be in a regular vs. executive MBA program.

We would be happy to give you a more thorough analysis of what programs are best for you with more details about your background and future goals. Feel free to contact us for a free consultation: https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Best,
Cindy
Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 03:13
Hi, Cindy,

Based on the limited amount of info you provided, and especially not knowing what your long term goals are, it's hard for me to advise you on which programs are best suited to you since it all depends on what you want to achieve and how additional education will help in that endeavor. - I already have honed technical skills in the biologics sector but i want to hone mid-upper management skills. In the long-run, post 3-5 years of MBA, i'd like to start my own venture, to become entrepreneur. So, i assume that earning MBA degree can help me to get the knowledge required to do my business in all aspects. Kindly feel free to ask any information to guide me.

We would be happy to give you a more thorough analysis of what programs are best for you with more details about your background and future goals. - Please let me know what information you required for thorough analysis.

Thanks,
Raxit T.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jan 2020, 23:00
Hi Cindy,
I am working professional in one of reputated MNC as a data analyst from last 4.5 year . I am having experience of manging a 10 member team for more than 2 years. I have done my BE in mechanical engineering from tier 2 college.
Engineering 83 percent
12th 66%
10th 78%
With my work I m perusing CFA as of now I am level 3 candidate. I have also passed NISM Certification and also certified in Financial modelling. I am mainly looking for finance profile in ISB or IIM A.
I am giving my first attempt for GMAT coming feb.
I am active member of CSR done by my company and been part of my social activity around the city.

Please let me know if you need more info

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by Aman1012 on 21 Jan 2020, 09:54.
Last edited by Aman1012 on 23 Jan 2020, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 22:32
Hi Raxit,

Based on your long term goal of starting your own venture, I would recommend the MBA over the PhD. The PhD is geared more towards academics, usually for someone who has interest in teaching or research. For admission to the joint degree programs, the criteria would be the same as the MBA program at the school, plus you would need to make a case to the adcom as to why you need the joint degree and what you would do with it. You would also need to have an academic or professional background relevant to the other degree.

In order for us to give you a more thorough analysis, we need to know more details such as your short and long term goals, what differentiates you, as well as your resume. I encourage you to contact us through our website (https://admissionado.com/free-consultation) to schedule a free 30 minute consultation. Before the call, you will complete a questionnaire and provide your resume. During the call, a consultant will give you an assessment based on the info you provided, and you can ask follow up questions.

Best,
Cindy
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 23:11
Hi Aman1012,

Your work experience is good and having direct people management experience will definitely help differentiate you from the other applicants. Both ISB and IIMA are competitive to get into, and both have average GMAT scores of 700. Your number of years of work experience would help you with ISB, where at least 2 years of work experience is required. Compared to IIMA, where most students have less than 2 years of experience and the school views anything over 2 years the same as 2 years. IIMA prefers applicants with strong academics, and given that you went to a tier 2 college, that could be a disadvantage. ISB values work experience more than academics, so you would probably have a better chance with them than IIMA. Of course, this is just a general assessment given the limited information that you provided. For a more thorough analysis, we would need to see your resume, know what your interests and goals are, as well as what differentiates you from other candidates with similar academic and professional backgrounds.

Odds of acceptance aside, which program is better for you also depends on your goals and what experiences you need to achieve those goals. IIMA is a 2 year program, whereas IIMA is a 1 year program. How long do you want to be in school vs working? Do you need/want an internship to try something new? More graduates from IIMA go into finance/banking, which would align more with your interests.

If you would like a more thorough assessment, please reach out to us at https://admissionado.com/free-consultation. We would be happy to schedule a free 30 minute consultation for you, where you will get feedback from a consultant and be able to ask follow up questions.

Best,
Cindy
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 23:31
Hi Cindy,

Thanks a lot for elaborating the scenario.

For IIM A I am actually looking for its 1 year executive program not 2 year program(For Indian they need CAT score card in case of 2 years program). They accept only GMAT in case of Executive program. So just want to know your thoughts on that 1 year program

I have one more question for you

Can you suggest me some good US /Canada/UK base college for MBA in Finance(I am comfortable with both 1 year and 2 years program) that are equivalent to ISB/IIMA or above?

Thanks in Advance.

Have nice day

Profile evaluation and suitable course

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado