It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 13:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 05:28
Hi,

I am an ISB 2018-2019 aspirant, would greatly appreciate your time to assess my profile.

Current Age: 22
Nationality: Indian
IT/non-IT: UG in Engg., work exp. as an entrepreneur

Academics:
1) Class 10 (2011) - ICSE (85%)
- School cricket team captain
- School house captain
2) Class 11 & 12 (2013) - State Board (87%)
- School house captain
- Know how to speak French (if that matters...)
3) UG (2016) at from a top UK university (a Russell-group university in London)
- B.Eng. (Honours) Aerospace Engineering (result - 2:2). It's a bit on the lower side, but compensated with co-curricular activities, part-time job, and starting a company
- Won an £7500/year (50%) scholarship for all 3 years of studies
- Business Strategy dissertation. (my supervisor was impressed with my company, allowed me do a strategy dissertation instead of an engineering one)
4) GMAT (Jul 2017) - 640 (Q47, V32, IR5, AWA5). Currently preparing to re-take in Sep. Target 720
5) Currently preparing for CFA Level 1 (exam in Dec 2017)
6) Online courses from Coursera on Finance, Strategy, and Accounting

Work Experience:
2 years F/T since graduating at the time of admission (Apr 2018). 5 years F/T experience overall at the time of admission (Apr 2018)
1) Started a Food and Beverage company with a partner in India. Working as its CEO (managing Sales and Strategy)
2) Started a Started a Digital Marketing company during my 1st year in UG (decided quickly that engg. is not for me, only continued. because of my parents' financial investment). Profits > £20,000. Ran it until graduation (~ 3 years). Most of University expense (tuition + cost of living) re-earned (great help to parents), which was the goal
3) Internship in Investment Banking (M&A) in summer 2015 at a small investment banking firm in India
4) Part-time work during UG studies - waiting staff, sub-warden, student abassador, and sales associate (at different times in the 3 years)
5) Summer internships since the age of 15 (except for summer 2015, when I started my own company), worked mainly in Sales

Leadership/Volunteer Work:
1) Currently volunteering as a spoken english tutor at a local government school (2x a week) through a local NGO
2) VP of my university's Economics Society (>400 members) in my final year (1st engg. student to be voted in)
3) Co-founded my university's Handball Club in my 2nd year. Was voted in as a treasurer
4) Head of Communications at my university's Engineers Without Borders Society
5) Student mentor in one of my university's students union's mentoring programmes
6) Football Coach at a local primary school during UG studies

Hobbies:
Wrestling and MMA, Painting, Writing poems, cooking

Can you please assess my chances for the ISB PGPM class 2018-2019?
Any improvement suggestions?

Please be brutal if needed, will be taken in positive. Thank you for the time.

Best Wishes.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 05:40
Wow. Not that my views carry much weight but I still wanted to drop in and congratulate you for your amazing profile. All the best with the GMAt retake.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 00:00
TSJ wrote:
Hi,

I am an ISB 2018-2019 aspirant, would greatly appreciate your time to assess my profile.

Current Age: 22
Nationality: Indian
IT/non-IT: UG in Engg., work exp. as an entrepreneur

Academics:
1) Class 10 (2011) - ICSE (85%)
- School cricket team captain
- School house captain
2) Class 11 & 12 (2013) - State Board (87%)
- School house captain
- Know how to speak French (if that matters...)
3) UG (2016) at from a top UK university (a Russell-group university in London)
- B.Eng. (Honours) Aerospace Engineering (result - 2:2). It's a bit on the lower side, but compensated with co-curricular activities, part-time job, and starting a company
- Won an £7500/year (50%) scholarship for all 3 years of studies
- Business Strategy dissertation. (my supervisor was impressed with my company, allowed me do a strategy dissertation instead of an engineering one)
4) GMAT (Jul 2017) - 640 (Q47, V32, IR5, AWA5). Currently preparing to re-take in Sep. Target 720
5) Currently preparing for CFA Level 1 (exam in Dec 2017)
6) Online courses from Coursera on Finance, Strategy, and Accounting

Work Experience:
2 years F/T since graduating at the time of admission (Apr 2018). 5 years F/T experience overall at the time of admission (Apr 2018)
1) Started a Food and Beverage company with a partner in India. Working as its CEO (managing Sales and Strategy)
2) Started a Started a Digital Marketing company during my 1st year in UG (decided quickly that engg. is not for me, only continued. because of my parents' financial investment). Profits > £20,000. Ran it until graduation (~ 3 years). Most of University expense (tuition + cost of living) re-earned (great help to parents), which was the goal
3) Internship in Investment Banking (M&A) in summer 2015 at a small investment banking firm in India
4) Part-time work during UG studies - waiting staff, sub-warden, student abassador, and sales associate (at different times in the 3 years)
5) Summer internships since the age of 15 (except for summer 2015, when I started my own company), worked mainly in Sales

Leadership/Volunteer Work:
1) Currently volunteering as a spoken english tutor at a local government school (2x a week) through a local NGO
2) VP of my university's Economics Society (>400 members) in my final year (1st engg. student to be voted in)
3) Co-founded my university's Handball Club in my 2nd year. Was voted in as a treasurer
4) Head of Communications at my university's Engineers Without Borders Society
5) Student mentor in one of my university's students union's mentoring programmes
6) Football Coach at a local primary school during UG studies

Hobbies:
Wrestling and MMA, Painting, Writing poems, cooking

Can you please assess my chances for the ISB PGPM class 2018-2019?
Any improvement suggestions?

Please be brutal if needed, will be taken in positive. Thank you for the time.

Best Wishes.

Hello there good sir.
So I think there are a few things here that will make it or break it:
1. GMAT. Obviously with a GMAT below 710 it makes little sense to apply. So only apply if you get your target score or higher.
2. Work experience - you don't have five years experience, but two. All Adcoms including ISB only consider the years post-graduation. It doesn't mean that what you have done before doesn't matter. But it's just considered something else.
3. Startup - A lot of your profile is riding on your success and experience in your startup. I currently have no real information about it... i.e. what is the turnover? what is the market share? what is your growth? how many employees do you lead? what have been your biggest achievements and milestones? with more information, the standing of your profile will become clear
4. Age - Average age is 27. You are quite young for applying here. So it means that a) you have to have equivalent experience b) you have to be prepared with good reasoning as to why it absolutely makes sense for you to apply and go NOW.

I hope this helps!!!

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Last edited by JonAdmissionado on 03 Aug 2017, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Coaching

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 21:26
Short Answer: Scattered profile, aiming to cobble up tidbits towards a collage. ADCOMs value niche skills, specialization in one thing rather than dabbling in 10 things. However, If you can manage to map all of these to various ISB essays coherently and also ace a 720 + score in GMAT, ISB may actually pick you up. I hope the businesses that you did part-time can be projected as professional ventures. F&B; Dig.marketing are more like pocket money earning sidekicks to get going during the student phase.

But for M7 SCHOOLS -

Negatives:
1) Work ex is less; concurrent work ex with academics isn't counted.
2) Undergrad - unknown
3) CFA exam prep - is no qualification.
4) Current GMAT score is a sinker.
5) 22 Age is a NO-NO

Verdict: Wait for 5 years, if it is M7. You can try for ISB, if you can ace GMAT more than 720. Else, don't waste your application money.

Check my Blog for Stellar MBA Admit Testimonials
| Top 5 MBA admissions consulting since 2006 | >95% success rate |
| First essay GRATIS | Pay what you want thereafter | email: jeffrey.adcom@gmail.com

If this response helped you, please give the post a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 23:14
Hi TSJ,

I’ve a different take on your profile.

Since you’re working as an entrepreneur, your experiences can be valuable in the classroom discussions. Second, your understanding of digital marketing is an important skill in today’s world, more so in India where it’s just beginning to explode and where there is plenty of arbitrage even in organic traffic/ leads. Third, your work in digital marketing, and most importantly generating profit, during undergrad shows enterprise and resourcefulness.

Although you’ve 2-year full-time experience, you can explain your other sojourns in the application, which surely will add sting to your profile.

However, you need to articulate reasons for an MBA and post-MBA career plan well. (It can get tricky if you’re an entrepreneur pre-MBA.) And yes, you should lift your GMAT score by few notches.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2019   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 23:14

Profile Evaluation for ISB class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap