Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION GMAT 700 [#permalink]
Thank you for your posting.

Let me start off by saying that you come from a very competitive demographic and there are many more qualified candidates than there are spots allocated every year. This means that you have to stand out on every aspect of your candidacy.

Let me start off with the positive aspects to your candidacy which is your unique background in merchant shipping - which, as you point out will add some diversity to the class. The second is your professional training as business schools view this very favorably and view you as having well developed leadership skills. Lastly, you show that through your academics that you can handle the academic aspect of business school -- which during the first year can be challenging both from an academic/intellectual perspective as well as from a workload perspective.

The weaknesses to your candidacy include your age (this is a bit old for some of the schools on your list), your GMAT score (on the lower side of most competitive Indian candidates) and grades (most competitive Indian candidates have excellent grades across the board). However, again, the most challenging aspect of your candidacy is your demographics.

Based on the information you provide, here are your chances at each of the schools on your list and my recommendation on whether you should apply or not.

1) Harvard ( DREAM) -- I do not see you as competitive/you age is a major factor here/ would not recommend applying
2) Stanford -- I do not see you are competitive/your background does not comply with what Stanford values/ would not recommend applying
3) Wharton -- the most open minded of the Big 3 programs / think with a strong application that your candidacy would be considered competitive/recommend applying.
4) MIT / Sloan -- I do not see you as competitive here / the school is small and has a high percentage of Indian candidates/ recommend not applying
5) Kellog - You would add diversity to the school/age is not a factor/ recommend applying
6) Columbia -- I do not see a connection between you and the school/do not recommend applying
7) Chicago Booth -- the school values international candidates and unique experiences / recommend applying
8) Tuck -- the small class size makes admissions tricky / do not recommend applying
9) NYU Stern - like Columbia, do not see a connection here / recommend not applying
10) Yale -- a tricky one but see a connection here and that they would value your application / recommend applying
11) Haas - very low admissions rate and preference towards tech candidates/ recommend not applying
12) INSEAD -- very international and diverse student population / recommend applying
13) Mccombs -- seeks out diverse candidates / competitive on all fronts / recommend applying
14) Rice/ Jones -- same as Mccombs -- recommend applying
15) Duke -- seeks diverse and international candidates -- recommend applying.

Good luck in your application process.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi
I am not an expert, but only challenge i feel with the profile are the age and undergrad. The profile is extremely sought after profile by the b schools and have known ppl with such profile and low gmat attending colleges such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford etc..... So, i say you must go ahead and apply to the colleges.

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Hi, I will be obliged if you provide feedback on my profile:

Nationality : Indian
Education : Bachelor of Engineering: ( Mechanical) from one of the top Universities of India CGPA ( 3.6/4.0)
Master Degree in Finance and Supply chain management from School of Management, IIT Bombay.
CGPA ( 3.4/4)
GMAT - 740
Selected Relevant Experience:
• As a Senior Consultant with one of big 4 consulting firm
• Lead a team of consultants, for financial modeling projects, and played the role of Subject Matter Expert in the area of treasury support, cash flow budgeting, forecasting and led accounts payable team
• Delivered analytical reports to meet working capital management requirement and transaction risk analysis
• Built system for developing financial modeling for evaluation of acquisition opportunities
• Acted as an instructor and pre sales facilitator for the US development team
• Presented paper on simplified equity shares valuation guidelines at the Knowledge Transfer Seminar in San Jose, California
• Prepared audit plan and ensured its effective implementation

• As an Engineering Manager with Engineering Design Firm
• Played instrumental role in developing Fatigue and DT Analysis capabilities in Product Engineering Solutions division of Atkins
• Played instrumental role in production planning and scheduling and also in material management
• Led technical team for business process reengineering in Bristol, United Kingdom

• Internship with Multinational Bank
• Carried out in depth economic indicator analysis of the eastern region states using secondary literature
• Identified possible opportunities in project and infrastructure financing by analysis of financial statements
• Conducted feasibility analysis and developed recommendation for long term implementation plans
Extra-Curricular : Decent
Please give me suggestion whether I have chance in the following schools:

Stern, NYU
Mc.Combs, U.Texas
Kelly , Indiana University
UCLA, Anderson
UNC, Kenan Flager
Ross, Michigan
Darden
Tuck
GMAT Club Bot