GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholar after GMAT 680

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholar after GMAT 680 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 06:52
Hello people. I took my GMAT today and it was horrible. I was hoping for a 720 according to my prep tests but scored only a horrific 680 (q49, v34, IR8). I am college senior and all the deferred deadlines are VERY near. Should I take GMAT again for the schools whose deadlines are more than 16 days away? I can (CAN, not WILL) reach up to around 720. I need experts' suggestion on whether I should even apply to these deferred programs (is my profile competitive enough). I am looking to apply to:
1) HBS 2+2 (12 days left before the deadline)
2) Stanford deferred MBA program (6 days left)
3) Yale Silver Scholar (20 days left)
4) Darden Future Years (31 days left).

Here's my profile:

Indian Male - College Senior
Major: Humanities (User Experience Design; B.Des)
GPA: 8.68/10 - semester wise: (6.61, 6.49, 9.88, 9.83, 9.34, 9.39, 10.00, last 8th semester is ongoing)
Class Rank - 3 out of 43 students
College: IIT Guwahati (Top 15 colleges in India)
GMAT: 680 (q49, v34, IR8) :cry:

Internships:
1) Microsoft (received a full-time offer during my internship and was the only UX intern that summer to get it)
2) Robert Bosch
3) One small startup and a college lab internship (not that imp IMO)

Recommendations: My professor and my internship manager at Microsoft (not some great, high profile people but both can say about my leadership potential.)

Essays: I have pretty strong reasons for an MBA and have a compelling story where I relate design thinking and business and how can I make an impact. Not generic IMO.

Extra Curriculars:
1) Co-founder of a startup (early stage)
2) Internship Secretary for one year
3) 1 accepted paper and 2 under review
4) 2 patents (pending) (one of them is for an innovative cube puzzle game design I designed for children with learning disabilities)

Achievements: (Major ones)
1) Global Finalist (Top 6) - Student UX World Championship 2017
2) First Prize National Winner (1/200+) - Honeywell Aerospace Design Challenge 2017
3) Institute Merit Scholarship 2016-17
4) Global Semifinalist (Top 24 out of 1344)- Valeo Innovation Challenge 2016
5) Global Finalist - 12th ‘Hardware Prize’ China Hardware Product Design Competition 2017
6) Global Finalist (Top 12): Princeton Pitch 2018 Edition (For the startup)

I'm very tight on deadlines, so any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. :fingers_crossed:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholar after GMAT 680 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It will be really tough for you with HBS and Stanford with that gmat score. There is just too much competition especially from India. I wouldn’t dissuade you from applying however. This is kind of your only chance fore these deferred admissions programs, so not much to lose outside of time. Now if you think there will be Time crunch completing those applications, while retaking the GMAT and preparing for Yale and Darden then it may make sense to pass on applying to HBS/Stanford as it will be an uphill battle for you. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholar after GMAT 680 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 14:10
Hi frostakhil,

Thanks for sharing your background! Given that you come from a tough and competitive demographic (Indian male), it will be tough to get into the top schools with a GMAT score of 680. That being said, however, you have some good internships and solid extracurricular activities. I would suggest retaking the GMAT for the schools with the later deadlines. For HBS and Stanford, you can give it a shot, but it will likely be difficult (note that if you don't get in, it won't hurt your chances if you reapply again in the next few years). In general, though, I always think it's best to apply when you can put your best foot forward.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Re: Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholar after GMAT 680   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 14:10

Profile Evaluation: HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholar after GMAT 680

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap