GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Mar 2019, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 15:23
Hi,
I am a 22years old male Chinese international student who currently studies at decent US university ranking around 35 with a business major and CGPA of 3.48/4.0
I took the gmat test and scored 760 with Q50V42 and IR7 with probably a 5 on writing.
I have three internships during my undergraduate years:1. Small Private equity firm, 2months, analyst
2. Financial Service company for individual investors, 2months
3. Government-owned bank back office, 2 months
I don't have much e/c, mainly have joined couple clubs in my undergraduate years, had two volunteers one in the US and one in China.
Something on the side, I know some coding, video editing, and three languages.
My clear weaknesses are lack of E/C and relatively low GPA, so I understand there isn't much of a chance for me to enter the top mba, but I wanted to post to ask anyway.

So programs I applied are:
Princeton Msc Finance
JHU Carey Msc Finance
KCL Finance(Asset pricing)
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
LSE Finance and private equity
HEC MIF
Rejected:Columbia Financial Economics
Oxford Financial Economics

My dream school would be lSE's Mfin p&e program but I am not sure what are my chances are, given my profile matches its requirement except for gpa.
Also if you can, please let me know if there are any other programs that suit me (Finance or finance-like such as risk)?
Thank you for your time and effort!
Director
Director
G
Re: Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 09:47
First, your lack of work experience is what is stopping you from a top MBA. Your profile is strong otherwise.

My comments are this. First, the list of programs you have doesn't make much sense. For the US you have Princeton (low odds) and JHU (guaranteed). I'd suggest you look at USC, UT Austin, Vanderbilt, Boston College, etc. All great names and programs with a history of placing students in good roles and all places that I think you have a high chance of getting into.

As for European programs, my experience is they focus on GPA and class ranking. With that said, your GMAT is outstanding and you have a 3.5 which is still pretty good. EC and volunteering only really matter for MBA applications so don't worry about that. Since my advice is less precise when it comes to European programs, I would say apply to places where your profile matches and exceeds the posted class profile on their website. I still think you are a good candidate for many of the very good EU/UK programs.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 10:04
MSFHQ wrote:
First, your lack of work experience is what is stopping you from a top MBA. Your profile is strong otherwise.

My comments are this. First, the list of programs you have doesn't make much sense. For the US you have Princeton (low odds) and JHU (guaranteed). I'd suggest you look at USC, UT Austin, Vanderbilt, Boston College, etc. All great names and programs with a history of placing students in good roles and all places that I think you have a high chance of getting into.

As for European programs, my experience is they focus on GPA and class ranking. With that said, your GMAT is outstanding and you have a 3.5 which is still pretty good. EC and volunteering only really matter for MBA applications so don't worry about that. Since my advice is less precise when it comes to European programs, I would say apply to places where your profile matches and exceeds the posted class profile on their website. I still think you are a good candidate for many of the very good EU/UK programs.

Thank you for replying. I forgot to mention that I am really into UK schools as I think it will be plainly better to go somewhere else, so I didn't care much about those schools that are well placed but not extremely extraordinary. Also, I got an invitation for an interview from Imperial College. However, as I asked my friends, it seems like people who applied the same time period as I did have got back from LSE yet I have nothing.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 16:40
GMATIstoohard wrote:
Hi,
I am a 22years old male Chinese international student who currently studies at decent US university ranking around 35 with a business major and CGPA of 3.48/4.0
I took the gmat test and scored 760 with Q50V42 and IR7 with probably a 5 on writing.
I have three internships during my undergraduate years:1. Small Private equity firm, 2months, analyst
I don't have much e/c, mainly have joined couple clubs in my undergraduate years, had two volunteers one in the US and one in China.
My clear weaknesses are lack of E/C and relatively low GPA, so I understand there isn't much of a chance for me to enter the top mba, but I wanted to post to ask anyway.

Princeton Msc Finance
JHU Carey Msc Finance
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
HEC MIF

My dream school would be lSE's Mfin p&e program but I am not sure what are my chances are, given my profile matches its requirement except for gpa.
Also if you can, please let me know if there are any other programs that suit me (Finance or finance-like such as risk)?

Hello GMATIstoohard

Obviously GMAT was not that hard for you since you scored excellent 760 :thumbup:

You applied to some very good programs for Finance.

Yeah LSE is great, but so are Princeton, UCL and ICL, for instance.

If you want more excellent quant programs for recommendation, here they are :

University of California, Berkeley
Financial Engineering

Baruch College, City University of New York
Financial Engineering

Carnegie Mellon University
Computational Finance

Columbia University
Financial Engineering

New York University
Mathematics in Finance

Cornell University
MEng, FE concentration

Columbia University
Mathematics of Finance

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Master of Finance

University of California, Los Angeles
Financial Engineering

University of Chicago
Financial Mathematics

Knowing some coding is a plus and your internships are relevant.

Dont worry about lack of extra curricular activities, thats more for MBA than MS in Finance or MSFE.

Good Luck on becoming a quant :geek: :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 02:20
billionaire wrote:
GMATIstoohard wrote:
Hi,

Princeton Msc Finance
JHU Carey Msc Finance
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
HEC MIF

Hello GMATIstoohard

Obviously GMAT was not that hard for you since you scored excellent 760 :thumbup:

You applied to some very good programs for Finance.

Yeah LSE is great, but so are Princeton, UCL and ICL, for instance.

If you want more excellent quant programs for recommendation, here they are :

University of California, Berkeley
Financial Engineering

Baruch College, City University of New York
Financial Engineering

Carnegie Mellon University
Computational Finance

Columbia University
Financial Engineering

New York University
Mathematics in Finance

Cornell University
MEng, FE concentration

Columbia University
Mathematics of Finance

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Master of Finance

University of California, Los Angeles
Financial Engineering

University of Chicago
Financial Mathematics

Knowing some coding is a plus and your internships are relevant.

Dont worry about lack of extra curricular activities, thats more for MBA than MS in Finance or MSFE.

Good Luck on becoming a quant :geek: :cool:

I thought my lack of quant back ground hindered me from applying to those programs though( since i am not math major nor did i take anything more thant 1 multivariable caculus class)
Or is it those things aren't really the critical factors?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 05:55
Hi, I applied 3 weeks ago to the MSc Finance at LSE and got an offer this week. Overall, I think you have a strong profile and an impressing GMAT. My “only” concern would be the GPA, but i think you can make out for it.

Personally, to stand out I tried to get strong Letters of recommendations from reputed individuals who personally knowed me well and wrote a good Statement of Purpose. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 11:11
denim96 wrote:
Hi, I applied 3 weeks ago to the MSc Finance at LSE and got an offer this week. Overall, I think you have a strong profile and an impressing GMAT. My “only” concern would be the GPA, but i think you can make out for it.

Personally, to stand out I tried to get strong Letters of recommendations from reputed individuals who personally knowed me well and wrote a good Statement of Purpose. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for the info! Fingers crossed
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2019, 11:11

Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap