GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation MBA (2019 Intake)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.3
Profile Evaluation MBA (2019 Intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 14:18
Hello, I would highly appreciate to get some advice on my MBA profile/application (2019 Intake):
My profile:
Colombian Male, 24 years old.
Education:
-Ongoing Specialization in Statistics: currently Ranked 1st in class. (GPA 4.8/5) (2018-Present)
BSc, Industrial engineering (2013-2017)
----Double concentration in Finance and Logistics.
----(GPA 3.74/5) and (4.48/5 in senior year) –I know I screwed up my gpa, I went through some tough years.
---- got an award for the first place in a national engineering exam all graduates must take.
Work:
Entrepreneurship (2017-Present)
---- biological control products to combat diseases of the oil palm in Colombia.
----I’m working with the business plan I used as my undergrad dissertation. Is being quite successful (150k revenue in first year)
Family business (2016-Present) (kind of part-time occasional)
----My family runs an oil palm plantation business in which I have developed some specific projects to optimize the operation. (economically impactful)
Internship (6 months 2016)
----developed a knowledge management system for a boutique consulting firm.
Extras:
As some extras I would mention that I was a rugby player during my university time and a former captain of the rugby team.
Also, right now I’m an athlete in a cycling team here in Colombia.

TOEFL 111/ reading 29/30 listening 30/30 speaking 26/30 writing 26/30

GMAT my story with the GMAT has been challenging and somehow disappointing
After 4 months of study I sat it on December 2018

First attempt: 660 Q45 V36 IR7 AWA5.

I thought I could do better. I was scoring 700-720-710 in my last 3 CATS so I believed I would improve it:

Second attempt: 640 Q48 V31 IR5 –3 days ago, I canceled the score. My quant is what I expected but I screwed up the verbal (don’t know why, I felt great but at the end had to run a bit (3-4 questions) and IR I was just anxious about the verbal.

I probably don’t have a chance to try again because of deadlines.

Thoughts:

----In a short-term I would like to work in a finance related job. I feel very passionate about the subject and I haven’t had the opportunity to work in such a role for a big company. I would like to have that experience (Don’t know if I should mention that in my application)

----My midterm goal with the mba is to develop and enhance my business abilities so that I can manage more effectively my start-up. The business has a great potential to the future but sometimes I feel I lack the skills to address day-by-day issues.

----I will eventually manage my family business (It is quite a big company that has been in constant grown) so I will also require some managerial skills to be successful as a CEO.

Target BS:
I want a BS with a good finance background (I will concentrate in either entrepreneurship or finance)
I would love to enter to a Top program but I’m not sure about how my profile would do.
I want a 2 year or at least 1.5 years program.

Canada: Good post-mba options for me (up to 3 years of work permit painless)
• Rotman

USA: It is less difficult to find a working visa (not as easy as Canada)
• Rochester, Simon: Strong in Finance, they gave me a free waiver so I’m just going to try.
• Tuck: This is my favorite BS of all, I can feel that connection from the gut. But I know it’s probably impossible to get into.

England: I love England, but I know that working there is difficult.
• LBS
• Manchester

France: I do not know a word of French
• Hec Paris: they have been very interested in me, I’m not sure if this is because of my profile or just marketing.

Spain: Spain is also a difficult place to work for a Latin-American
• IESE
• ESADE

First, thank you for taking the time to answer! It would be helpful to know what kind of business school I could realistically aspire to, as well as any advice that can help me to prepare my application.

regards,

Mikel.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation MBA (2019 Intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 15:14
Hi mikellaverde,

Thank you for your post. You've shared a lot of information here, so it would be easiest to connect by phone in order to unpack all of this and provide you with a more comprehensive response. Please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation via this link:

https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation MBA (2019 Intake)   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2019, 15:14

Profile Evaluation MBA (2019 Intake)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap