It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 17:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 20:21
Hello mbaMission,

Kindly review my profile and share your inputs.

Profile:
Indian, 34 male, married

Education:
Bachelor of Engineeering - Production Engineering (graduated in 2005)
Secured Gold Medal from my University.
Secured award constituted by Member of Parliament for securing Gold Medal.

Experience:
Total years of experience: 12
Companies worked for: Top Engineering and IT firm in India, 1 year with French Firm based in India
Progressed through my career as Trainee, Engineer, Engineering Executive, Project Lead, Associate Project Manager and currently hold position of Project Manager. I manage all the offshore operations(technical, logistics, budgetary) for an $8mn project for US based customer.
Achievements at work - Constantly recognized at work for outstanding performance.

International exposure:
6 months project coordinator at UK, coordinating client and offshore efforts.

Other Business Experience
Founder and Managing partner of security, safety and engineering consulting company - founded in 2008 - Have worked with multiple local clients.
Freelance Project Manager since 2009 - I have worked with international clients (small businesses/ startups) based out of - US (Major Market), Germany, Australia. As part of my responsibilities I have and continue to manage teams based out of US, India, Philippines. Have a strong working relation with my clients.(Can validate all of the great feedback that I have received from clients)

Extra-curricular:
Volunteered for 3 years at one of India's leading youth non-profit youth volunteer organization to provide basic English education at Orphanages across my city.
Cleared French Level 1 exam.
Currently pursuing my PMP credentials

Target institutions:
Will be applying this year.

Schulich, McGill, Sauder, Rotman, U of Alberta (Other top 10 MBA colleges in Canada)

ISB, Top IIMs (Executive MBA)

Gmat: Yet to take the exam
Gmat Prep1 - 610 (no study) - Q44, V30
MGmat 1 - 590 - Q45, V27 (only did refresher of Quant but didn’t practice much)

Areas of interest : General Management/Operations/Entrepreneurship

Recommendations - Clients from business(based out of US, UK) and Senior Management at work.

Please advise on my profile. Kindly share the positives/ negatives and suggestion to address them, Target GMAT score (to decide if I need to apply in Round 1 or 2, as deadlines for R1 is Nov 1)and things that could pose as challenge during the entire process.

Thank you.

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 01:31
Hi mahu101

Thanks for getting in touch and for providing all the detail. Very thorough.
Now I think there are two things for you to consider:
1. GMAT. You need to get the score up as much as possible. The 600/610 range will be very challenging. Look at the average scores for the programs you are interested in and try to exceed them for the best chance of success. For example, Shulilch's average is 660. I've seen different averages for McGill posted but it seems to be about 650 to 670.
2. Years of work experience. McGill's average age is 28. With 12 years of work experience, programs may find that you are too experienced and above the level of the jobs they have to offer. As such, I'd like you to consider Executive MBA programs, where your years of experience will be more in line with the program. Also, GMAT requirements are sometimes waived or lower.

I hope that helps!

Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Re: Profile Evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 10:23
Dear Krista,

Thank you very much for evaluating my profile and providing feedback.

To address the points raised by you -

1. GMAT - I agree with you. 600 is a low score for my target institutes. Also considering the fact that I come from a pool where average GMAT scores are high, my GMAT Prep1 score of 610 would get me nowhere. my target score is 700+ and I intend to write the exam in a month.

2. I had a look at the EMBA programs in the list of B-Schools of my choice and I did find that most of of them explicitly mention that their EMBA students continue their work while they study or that the classes are held over weekends. As an international student, I believe this wouldn't work in my favour as I would be leaving my current job and pursuing the MBA. The EMBA program brochures also didn't touch upon support for placements which is a must have for me in the program/institution I get admitted to. This is why I would prefer a regular MBA to an EMBA. Also as I am looking to get into a formalized business education that allows me to revisit and widen my awareness to the concepts of management, focus full time and delve deep into a field of my choice (like Operations) and learn the formal nuances in the field, I believe a regular MBA would allow me the space and time to do so.

However, I am not averse to the concept of EMBA but that is something that I would pursue only in my home country and not abroad. I am aiming for Indian institutes like ISB and IIMs.

What do you think I should work upon to ensure I have very high chances of getting into the regular 2 year MBA (the ones based out in Canada) or is it a lost case altogether?

Thank you.

Profile Evaluation request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap