It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 14:55

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review: 27M | 3.55 GPA | 322 GRE | Data Analyst

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GRE 1: 332 Q166 V166
GPA: 3.54
Profile Review: 27M | 3.55 GPA | 322 GRE | Data Analyst [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 09:21
Background
Work experience:
Job 1: 6 months in sales in a tech company, realized I didn’t like sales as a career and promptly switched to job 2.
Job 2: 1.5 years Financial Analyst for a F500 company
Job 3: 1.5 years as an Actuarial Analyst for a mid-size Insurance Company
Job 4 (current): Data Analyst for a top 20 law firm
I realize most applicants have had at most 3 jobs at this point, do I seem like a job hopper, and would it impact me in a negative way?
Extra curriculars:
1)Corporate Sponsorship Chair in Professional Organization while in college
2)Student Senator in College
3)Vice-President of fraternity
None after college that are worth mentioning, am I screwed?
Undergrad school/major: Southeastern school (UF, FSU, UM), 3.55 GPA in Actuarial Science
Other education/coursework: N/A
Race/nationality: I am of Asian descent, but was born and raised in Latin America and as such I consider my cultural background as Latino too.My first language is Spanish. I am a US Citizen. Would adcoms see me as an Underrepresented Minority or as a Model Minority. Overall, do you guys think my background is a plus or a minus in terms of chances of admission?
Sex: Male, 27
Stats
GRE: 166V/166Q (332 total, the title is wrong) which translates roughly to 740 according to ETS online calculator.
Undergrad GPA: 3.55/4.00
MBA Info
Goal of MBA: Product Management in a tech company (Google, Amazon, etc)
Target schools: Booth, Michigan, Kellogg, UCLA and Duke open to any top 15, honestly. I would like recommendations for my profile and goal!
What other schools would you guys for me to apply based on my profile?

Using Tapatalk

Last edited by MbaConfucius on 15 Aug 2017, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Review: 27M | 3.55 GPA | 322 GRE | Data Analyst [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 11:50
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have an interesting background which gives you an opportunity to stand out around some of your unique personal and professional highlights. I don't think you will be seen as a job hopper, just make sure to connect the dots for admission so everything aligns. A consistent track record of engagement during and post-college would have been nice especially for schools like Kellogg, Ross, Duke but this is only one aspect of the evaluation process. Your background is a plus in the process, just make sure the Ad Comm is aware of the uniqueness of your background.

You have targeted schools appropriately I would also take a look at Washington (Foster)

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GRE 1: 332 Q166 V166
GPA: 3.54
Profile Review: 27M | 3.55 GPA | 322 GRE | Data Analyst [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 13:41
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have an interesting background which gives you an opportunity to stand out around some of your unique personal and professional highlights. I don't think you will be seen as a job hopper, just make sure to connect the dots for admission so everything aligns. A consistent track record of engagement during and post-college would have been nice especially for schools like Kellogg, Ross, Duke but this is only one aspect of the evaluation process. Your background is a plus in the process, just make sure the Ad Comm is aware of the uniqueness of your background.

You have targeted schools appropriately I would also take a look at Washington (Foster)

Thanks for the recommendation on Washington. Why did you mention this particular school? Its ranking is not that high, just wondering.

Also, any other schools that are good to break into the tech scene, specifically for product management? Would Wharton be possible with my profile?

Using Tapatalk

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 17:20
I recommended that school for the exact reason you referenced, it is a good feeder into tech given its location and proximity to tech firms like Amazon and Washington

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 21:34
Hi MbaConfucius,

Do explain the reasons for the relatively frequent job changes you’ve made (you’ll usually find the space for this in the online form).

On extra-curricular activities, continued interest in one or two is definitely more important than what you did in the past. Here, depth and involvement (quality) is more important than the number of activities. Having said that, it’s your professional experience that will move the needle.

On target schools, Haas could be an option. So could be Tepper. To know the latest and the best update on whether product management is hot or not at a particular school, reach out to current students pursuing the same industry.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 22:11
Confucius!

Yes, you do look like a job hopper - this in itself won't be a problem if you have a reasonable explanation for it. Also, I don't see the connection between your current roles and a future in product management, especially without a tech degree.

Finally, your GRE is on the lower side for the top 15.

All easily corrected. Work on your story (can be done). Improve your GRE by about 6 - 8 points (slightly more difficult, but can be done). And you should be in line. Your background will help you with your admissions.

Best,
Karthik

MbaConfucius wrote:
Background
Work experience:
Job 1: 6 months in sales in a tech company, realized I didn’t like sales as a career and promptly switched to job 2.
Job 2: 1.5 years Financial Analyst for a F500 company
Job 3: 1.5 years as an Actuarial Analyst for a mid-size Insurance Company
Job 4 (current): Data Analyst for a top 20 law firm
I realize most applicants have had at most 3 jobs at this point, do I seem like a job hopper, and would it impact me in a negative way?
Extra curriculars:
1)Corporate Sponsorship Chair in Professional Organization while in college
2)Student Senator in College
3)Vice-President of fraternity
None after college that are worth mentioning, am I screwed?
Undergrad school/major: Southeastern school (UF, FSU, UM), 3.55 GPA in Actuarial Science
Other education/coursework: N/A
Race/nationality: I am of Asian descent, but was born and raised in Latin America and as such I consider my cultural background as Latino too.My first language is Spanish. I am a US Citizen. Would adcoms see me as an Underrepresented Minority or as a Model Minority. Overall, do you guys think my background is a plus or a minus in terms of chances of admission?
Sex: Male, 27
Stats
GRE: 166V/166Q (332 total, the title is wrong) which translates roughly to 740 according to ETS online calculator.
Undergrad GPA: 3.55/4.00
MBA Info
Goal of MBA: Product Management in a tech company (Google, Amazon, etc)
Target schools: Booth, Michigan, Kellogg, UCLA and Duke open to any top 15, honestly. I would like recommendations for my profile and goal!
What other schools would you guys for me to apply based on my profile?

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 02:37
First of all I think your background is extremely interesting the fact that you're a US citizen raised in Latin America but of Asian descent. My estimation is that they would probably consider you somewhere in the middle, depending upon how many other people with a similar background apply. Of course there's a lot of Asians in Brazil, but at the same time you have a few other dynamics going on. So I think this is a point of diversity for you and something that's really going to help. I like the extracurriculars and altogether your profile does sound interesting but I am concerned like others about the incongruity of your post MBA goal and your past work history. You're going to need to develop why you jumped out of the sales role at a tech company but now want to go into a marketing/PM role at a tech company. It probably would have been better for you to have stayed in that environment rather than shifting over to financial services and then law. It's not something that's in Concordville but you will need to find someone who is skilled at candidate positioning. You also need to develop how you as an analyst have developed the leadership skills needed for product management, at the very least, speak with great specificity on how you plan to develop those skills to make yourself a viable contender for your ideal post-MBA job. I would recommend that you take a look at a job description for your ideal position and really back out your plan from there. And lastly I'm backing up what Dozie said about Foster, it's basically across the street from Amazon and definitely one you should take a look at, they recruit from there very heavily. Wharton is a great program it's not necessarily known for what you want to go into. It can hold its own, but if you look at the recruitment statistics you'll see what I'm talking about. So will be best to focus on Foster Haas Ross MIT Booth programs that have a tech focus.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Re: Profile Review: 27M | 3.55 GPA | 322 GRE | Data Analyst   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2017, 02:37

Profile Review: 27M | 3.55 GPA | 322 GRE | Data Analyst

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap