It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review GMAT 790 (51Q, 48V)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Review GMAT 790 (51Q, 48V) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 21:31
I'm from India.
Background - Class 10, 92% ICSE
Class 12, 72% CBSE
College - 7.5/10 CGPA
(First Class)

To those not from India: My undergrad college reputation is a joke.

Internships
2 Months - Birla Sunlife Insurance
2 Months - Teva Pharmaceuticals
2 Months - MasterCard

(No full time work experience)

I was battling depression and OCD since class 9. During class 11, one of my family member passed away due to which I had a nervous breakdown. I quit school joined rehabilitation for a year. Due to my poor grades in class 12, I didn't get admission in any good college. As a last resort, I joined Amity University and completed BBA in International Business and Finance. I wrote my GMAT last month.

During these years I have self taught
Advanced Mathematics
Real Analysis
Algorithms
Game Theory

I have also learnt Programming via online resources. I can code in
C
C++
Java
Python
R
MATLAB
Visual Basic

I'm planning to apply to the following. Please be blunt and show me the mirror.

MIT Masters in Finance
LSE MSc. Finance
Imperial College London MSc. Finance
Princeton MS Finance
HEC Paris MSc. International Finance
Oxford Financial Economics
Carnegie Mellon MCF

Also applying to

MIT Masters in Business Analytics
Imperial College Business Analytics

What are my chances ?
Thank you for your time and energy.

Posted from my mobile device
Top Contributor
VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Profile Review GMAT 790 (51Q, 48V) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 10:24
Top Contributor
traphtrahul wrote:
I'm from India.
Class 12, 72% CBSE
College - 7.5/10 CGPA
(First Class)

Internships
2 Months - MasterCard

I was battling depression and OCD since class 9. During class 11, one of my family member passed away due to which I had a nervous breakdown. I quit school joined rehabilitation for a year. Due to my poor grades in class 12, I didn't get admission in any good college. As a last resort, I joined Amity University and completed BBA in International Business and Finance. I wrote my GMAT last month.

Advanced Mathematics
Real Analysis
Algorithms
Game Theory

C
C++
Java
Python
R
MATLAB
Visual Basic

MIT Masters in Finance
LSE MSc. Finance
Princeton MS Finance
Carnegie Mellon MCF

Also applying to

What are my chances ?

\

Hi Rahul

- Your personal issues may have given you significant challenges in life, but you have overcome them all with a best-in-class GMAT score. In addition, you have taught yourself complex topics along a range of subjects. Congratulations on that.
- Amity isn't such a bad brand name when it comes to international admissions. Yes, its nowhere near an IIT or DU SSCBS, but its known. Not the best brand out there, but not a bad one either.
- Among your school choices, MIT, Princeton, and Carnegie will be challenging, even with a 790 GMAT. Many of the schools you are applying to will look for solid evidence of ability in mathematical modeling, programming, and advanced quantitative analysis. Your transcripts or your experience needs to reflect accordingly. Unfortunately, if you have self taught yourself some of these but do not have formal courses in them, some of these top programs will not consider that as proficiency in those topic areas.
- Your undergrad GPA is ok (not outstanding, not very bad), and you have got to take it from there. Build on your solid GMAT, choose the right programs (probably leave out the most challenging ones), and put in strong apps. If you do that, we are very positive you should have some good results from the programs on the list.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 01:15
GyanOne wrote:
traphtrahul wrote:
I'm from India.
Class 12, 72% CBSE
College - 7.5/10 CGPA
(First Class)

Internships
2 Months - MasterCard

Advanced Mathematics
Real Analysis
Algorithms
Game Theory

C
C++
Java
Python
R
MATLAB
Visual Basic

MIT Masters in Finance
LSE MSc. Finance
Princeton MS Finance
Carnegie Mellon MCF

Also applying to

What are my chances ?

\

Hi Rahul

- Your personal issues may have given you significant challenges in life, but you have overcome them all with a best-in-class GMAT score. In addition, you have taught yourself complex topics along a range of subjects. Congratulations on that.
- Amity isn't such a bad brand name when it comes to international admissions. Yes, its nowhere near an IIT or DU SSCBS, but its known. Not the best brand out there, but not a bad one either.
- Among your school choices, MIT, Princeton, and Carnegie will be challenging, even with a 790 GMAT. Many of the schools you are applying to will look for solid evidence of ability in mathematical modeling, programming, and advanced quantitative analysis. Your transcripts or your experience needs to reflect accordingly. Unfortunately, if you have self taught yourself some of these but do not have formal courses in them, some of these top programs will not consider that as proficiency in those topic areas.
- Your undergrad GPA is ok (not outstanding, not very bad), and you have got to take it from there. Build on your solid GMAT, choose the right programs (probably leave out the most challenging ones), and put in strong apps. If you do that, we are very positive you should have some good results from the programs on the list.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Thanks for reverting back. I understand Princeton and Carnegie Mellon require the applicant to have taken quant heavy and programming courses as they are pure Financial Engineering programs. However, MIT, HEC, Imperial and LSE have a flexible program.

MIT has 3 specializations for its MFin program namely Capital Markets, Corporate Finance and Financial Engineering. It states that Business and Humanity Majors can also apply. I just checked the student profile. 60% of their class is either BBA or Humanities Major. Although they are from a million times better college than from which I am and they have stellar internships in companies like JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs and Credit Sussie. Their average GMAT is 720 and average GPA is 3.7.
What do you think are my chances (in Percent) of making it to MIT MFin ? And where should I improve in the little time I have.

Thanks Again

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 15:54
So here is what is up. Great GMAT and good split. GPA is good as well and your internships help. That being said, I don't know how far the self taught classes will go. The programing is nice, but would help you more for a MFE.

MIT Masters in Finance - low chance
LSE MSc. Finance - good chance
Imperial College London MSc. Finance - good chance
Princeton MS Finance - <5% - realistically, I don't see it happening
HEC Paris MSc. International Finance - Low chance
Oxford Financial Economics - low chance
Carnegie Mellon MCF - moderate chance

GMAT helps, school reputation hurts. Your major is "soft" in the sense that the school and major isn't super quantitative. IMO, LSE is probably your best shot as they have a multitude of MSc programs, with different levels of difficulty to get into.

Business analytic degrees are the hot thing right now. I'd say you have a better shot at MIT's BA program than their MSF. Imperial, apply to both.

Hope this helps. CFA might help you some as would some FT work experience. You have 5 years on the GMAT so you'll have time to go at it again.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: Profile Review GMAT 790 (51Q, 48V)   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2017, 15:54

Profile Review GMAT 790 (51Q, 48V)

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap