GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

PT Ross (Weekend) v. FT Top 25-30 ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

PT Ross v. FT Top 25-30 (Big Scholarship)

• 16% [1]
  • 83% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
PT Ross (Weekend) v. FT Top 25-30 ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 10:18
I've decided to either take money at Top 30 program, or attend Ross PT (full cost) for quality of the Ross brand. Would likely have to search for a new job closer to or within Ann Arbor if I elected to go to Ross though, which gives me pause. Worried how I will come across to employers if I end up waiting tables while attending Ross PT program.

Career switcher. Attracted to idea of consulting, but open to other paths. Prefer FT as career switcher for obvious reasons, and have admittances with scholarships to great programs ranked 20-30, but wondering if prestige and connections at Ross so far outweigh those options that I should sacrifice the scholarship and FT experience.

Committed to attending this year for family reasons. Also have a few apps out to other schools which could make this all moot.

But as of now, this is my situation and Ross PT begins in a month, so I need to make a decision.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: PT Ross (Weekend) v. FT Top 25-30 ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 19:40
Do you think you can secure a gig in consulting at the level you are looking for coming out of a top 30 FT program. I think it is possible for Ross PT, just want you to consider that part. You always want to keep in mind the reason you applied to b-school and make sure whatever choice you make aligns with that

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 21:04
Thank you for your response, Veritas! Yes, Ross seems to place very well in consulting. Ross also allows PT students to participate in all FT clubs/activities, OCR, etc., and seems to do a great job of integrating PT students into the community, which I appreciate.

But for career-switching purposes, I am conflicted as to whether the FT experience is more beneficial than the strong brand of Ross.

While I did not get any scholarship from Ross, I suppose some costs would be off-set by the opportunity to work. So it isn't a total loss from a financial standpoint.

Such a tough decision.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 15:03
Consulting is one of the few industries where the employers don't care as much about past industry experience unless you are targeting a niche specialized consultancy. If you can get the interview, your performance in the interview is far and away the most important thing, which should make it easier for you to career switch

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 09:22
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Consulting is one of the few industries where the employers don't care as much about past industry experience unless you are targeting a niche specialized consultancy. If you can get the interview, your performance in the interview is far and away the most important thing, which should make it easier for you to career switch

I agree with your points, and thank you again for your response. My primary concern is finding quality work in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area. I don't think I can tolerate flying across the country every other weekend while also meeting the high demands of my current employment for very long without burning out, and I would have to commit to PT Ross program before finding a job in the area (begins in a month).

I believe one should hope for the best, while preparing for the worst. So assuming the worst - that I leave my current job and move to Ann Arbor/Detroit area and am not able to secure quality employment - where does that leave me in employer's eyes?

Would it be forgivable or even understandable that I did something like sell cars at the local dealership during my two years in the Ross PT MBA (if they would care at all), as opposed to supplementing the PT experience with a quality job? Surely the latter is more desirable, I just don't want to put myself through all that just to emerge as an untouchable in the job search.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: PT Ross (Weekend) v. FT Top 25-30 ($$$$) &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2017, 09:22

PT Ross (Weekend) v. FT Top 25-30 ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, swbluedevil, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap