GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q39 V19 480 on CAT but need 600 in 3 weeks

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Q39 V19 480 on CAT but need 600 in 3 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 05:16
Dear GMAT Club fellows,

I've been studying for the GMAT since 5 weeks ago.
To have an idea about what score I would obtain if I did the GMAT today, I did a practice test.
As you can see in the title, my score was 480 (Q39 V19).

Goal

My goal is to be admitted to a MSc programme at the Maastricht University (The Netherlands). Unlike most of you, the goal is not to be admitted at a B school... I will finish a bachelor at the end of June, but unfortunately that is not enough to be admitted at the university (complicated system in Belgium). The deadline for application is June 1, 2017. So I need to take the GMAT before the 10th of May.

Minimum required score: 550.
Goal: 600.

Preparation

I prepared with 2 books: The Kaplan GMAT 2017 Strategies, Practice & Review with 2 Practice Tests &
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017
I also did some questions online.

Strategy

First, I made a study plan which consists of 8 weeks of study. While my qualitative competences are not that good, I focused mainly on that part of the GMAT.
I learned the theory & strategies of the Kaplan and then made about 200 questions in the GMAC book.
After that, I did the same for the Verbal part. These questions seemed easier to me and I had the feeling that it would be no problem to obtain a good score.

While I only have 3 weeks left, and I only have 1 chance, I ask you for advice.
As you can see, I need to improve my verbal skills as well as my quant skills.

btw: if you are Belgian or Dutch, please let me know!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Director
Director
G
Premium Member
Q39 V19 480 on CAT but need 600 in 3 weeks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 06:34
Well !! First things first. Increasing your point from 480 will take some dedicated efforts but it is possible to increase this score to a 550 and also 600.
The best thing is you have a clear idea of what you want and how you can achieve it.

1) If you have a solid base and your basics are clear, it becomes very easy to increase the score from a 480 to 550. For basics, you can go through the GMAT Club (as you have less time). Check out the following:

a) All you need for quant (it has some valuable information)
b) Bunuel's posts
c) GMAT study plan for verbal by souvik101990

There are many other useful posts by GMAT club users that would help you.

2) After understanding the basics for example you studied numbers today, solve official guide (number properties questions and ANALYZE every single step given in the official guide). In addition, search for that question on this forum and see the different ways in which GMAT club users have answered the same question. FIND YOUR WAY AFTER GOING THROUGH ALL THIS.

3) Very important: No matter you get a question right or wrong, see explanations for every question.
Benefits of doing so:
a) For the questions you got correct, you can see and analyze if your way was the quickest way or not as you have on an average 2 minutes to solve a question.
b) For the questions you got wrong, you have to understand that what is it that you missed. For example, was it a basics problem or you did not understand the question as to what it was trying to ask.

See the basics are same (2+2=4) but in a 500 level question, the question asked would be direct and in a tougher question the language would be indirect.

4) You can make an error log or use google doc to maintain your performance and practice the questions you got wrong every weekend.

5) Don't rush to solving 50 or 100 questions. Even if you solve just 10 or 20, you should be confident on what you just solved (the basics, the language, etc.).

6) You can watch some webinars conducted by e-gmat (e-gmat because I loved their webinars). IMPORTANT: They are free!! :)

7) Just know your strengths and weaknesses. Keep practicing and revising.

In the end, NO ONE KNOWS YOU BETTER THAN YOU AND THUS NO ONE CAN DEVISE A STRATEGY FOR YOU BUT YOU. So Good luck.

(You can also go through some debriefs on this forum)

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Q39 V19 480 on CAT but need 600 in 3 weeks   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2017, 06:34

Q39 V19 480 on CAT but need 600 in 3 weeks

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap