It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD #17 According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
5 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9544 [5], given: 1203

QOTD #17 According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:20) correct 36% (01:23) wrong based on 409 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5 per cent of Americans are now owners of at least some type of a mobile phone device. Interestingly, the same survey also found that 66 per cent of Asian community in the US owns smart phones, making Asians the leading users of such devices in the country.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

(A) More Asians own mobile phones than Americans
(B) The Asian community owns the maximum number of mobile phones in the US
(C) Almost half the population of the US does not own smart phones
(D) Feature phones sell more in the US than do smart phones
(E) The Asian community in the US is very well off which is why they can afford the more expensive smart phones
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9544 [5], given: 1203

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [2], given: 16

Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Premium Member
Re: QOTD #17 According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
C. 52.5% population owns some kind of a phone. Therefore 47.5% does not own a phone. Now 66% is the maximum fraction of a community that owns a smart phone. Therefore % of smartphone owners should not be greater than 66% of 52.5. In other words at least 34% of 52.5 owns a non smart phone. So total non smart phone owning population is 47.5+34%*52.5. C seems to be the closest

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 18 [2], given: 16

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: QOTD #17 According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 00:22
only the option C makes sense here, all other seem irrelevant

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 233

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 02:01
I believe option B is correct and i cant seem to understand y option C is correct

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 233

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 317

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 13:06
I don't think C is correct
Stem1 : 52.5 per cent of Americans are now owners of at least some type of a mobile phone device (which can be anything flip phones, old black n white phones, smart phones etc.)
We don't know what's the percentage of smart phones in total number of mobile devices.
Stem 2 : 66 per cent of Asian community in the US owns smart phones

Let's only 25% of total population which owns cell phones own smartphones, which means only 13.125% own smartphones.

Any positive criticism will be appreciated.

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 317

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 08:16
C is correct.

52.5% have some mobile device. so, 47.5% do not have any type of mobile phones ( or smart phones)

hope it makes sense

Manager
Manager
B

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 08:22
Please explain

How 'C' is the correct answer ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 470

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 23:55
Hello Experts,
Are we assuming here that US population comprises only of Americans and Asians, and no other community?
Even in that case, how do we arrive to the conclusion stated in "C" when we don't know the distribution(percentage) of Americans and Asians in the entire population?
To further clear my point,
if total population = 100 and Americans = x (would imply Asians = 100-x),
statements in the premise say 52.5% of Americans i.e of (x) are now owners of ..... and 66% of Asians i.e of (100-x)... owns smart phones.
Then without knowing x(i.e Americans),how do we conclude the mentioned?
Please assist.
Thank you

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 470

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
QOTD #17 According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 04:55
This question is so non-GMAT-like that I had to comment on it. The question, unlike the real GMAT, forces you to make assumptions about populations. On the GMAT, you will not be forced to assume a population; it will be given. This question is rife with error and it is my strong recommendation that no one waste their time on it.

According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5 per cent of Americans are now owners of at least some type of a mobile phone device. Interestingly, the same survey also found that 66 per cent of Asian community in the US owns smart phones, making Asians the leading users of such devices in the country. -- In order for C to work, we need to assume that the 66% of Asians account for a large portion of the U.S. population. What if the community consists of 100 people? What if population consists of the entire 52% who own cell phones? These questions force the question to fall apart. Do not get flustered or confused by this question and move on!

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 74

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 1496

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 22:39
carcass wrote:

According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5 per cent of Americans are now owners of at least some type of a mobile phone device. Interestingly, the same survey also found that 66 per cent of Asian community in the US owns smart phones, making Asians the leading users of such devices in the country.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

(A) More Asians own mobile phones than Americans
(B) The Asian community owns the maximum number of mobile phones in the US
(C) Almost half the population of the US does not own smart phones
(D) Feature phones sell more in the US than do smart phones
(E) The Asian community in the US is very well off which is why they can afford the more expensive smart phones

sorry, cancass, I have to tell you that this question has poor quality, and you need to remove this question from your collection.

To test takers, this question needs to be modified, edited, or changed before it becomes a gmat-like question.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 1496

Re: QOTD #17 According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2017, 22:39

QOTD #17 According to a recent survey conducted in the US, about 52.5

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap