It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18079 [1], given: 1992

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (00:58) correct 69% (01:06) wrong based on 435 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 163: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gasses that have

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and other gasses having

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18079 [1], given: 1992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 12:39
D,E remove carbon dioxide from the clause completely altering the meaning. Out.
C uses far fewer to denote countability for CO2 and other gases, and that again changes the meaning. Out.
B uses having been and that’s awkward.

A is the best option for me.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 98

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2038 [4], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 18:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

I can’t complain about this one. “Carbon dioxide gas” is a singular, non-countable noun, so “less” works fine as a modifier. And this part is a little bit tricky, but the second part of the sentence refers to several different “gasses” – a countable, plural noun – so “fewer” is appropriate.

The phrase beginning with “that” (“that have been implicated…”) correctly modifies “other gasses.” It’s also completely fine to use the “-ing” form of the verb after “as well as.”

So I guess we’ll keep (A).

Quote:
(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

It’s a funny quirk of English: if “as well as” were changed to “and” then we’d want the verbs “burn” and “emit” to be in parallel form. But since we have “as well as”, we’re better off using “emitting”, as we did in (A).

More importantly, I can’t make any sense of the “having been” at the end of the underlined portion. For that reason, we can scrap (B).

Quote:
(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

You could argue that the pronoun “they” is ambiguous here, since it could refer to “diesel engines” or “gasoline engines”, but I’m not convinced: since “they” is the subject of the second clause, it can generally refer back to the subject of the first clause on the GMAT without causing any trouble.

But we definitely have a modifier problem here: “fewer carbon dioxide” doesn’t make any sense, since “carbon dioxide” is a non-countable noun, and “fewer” can only be used with countable nouns. (If you’re not clear about that concept, try counting the noun out loud: “one carbon dioxide, two carbon dioxides, three carbon dioxides…” That makes no sense at all, right? So “carbon dioxide” is non-countable.)

So (C) is gone.

Quote:
(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gasses that have

The first part of the underlined portion isn’t necessarily WRONG, but it definitely isn’t great: “gasoline engines that have a comparable size” is a really crappy way to say “gasoline engines of comparable size.” I just don’t think it makes sense to use the word “have” in this context, since gasoline engines don’t really possess size.

More importantly, we have a problem with the non-countable modifier “less”, since it seems to be modifying both “carbon dioxide gas” (non-countable) and “other gasses” (countable) – and “less” can’t modify a countable noun.

So (D) is out, too.

Quote:
(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and other gasses having

The first part of the underlined portion suffers from the same problem as (D): “that have a comparable size” is a lousy way to say “of comparable size.” But again, I wouldn’t necessarily eliminate (E) based on that issue by itself.

The other problem is the same as in (D): “less” seems to modify “other gasses”, and that doesn’t work. Plus, I’m really not sold on the idea of using “having” to modify “gasses” at the end of the underlined portion – the version in (A) (“gasses that have…”) seems a little bit better.

In any case, (E) can be eliminated, and we’re left with (A).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2038 [4], given: 465

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Re: QOTD: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 01:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Awaiting an analysis on A vs C....

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 56

GPA: 2.9
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
spetznaz wrote:
Awaiting an analysis on A vs C....

The problem I see with C is the redundancy of using "and" and "also"...that´s why C is out for me.
Between A and B, would have gone for B but the end of the sentece using "having" is completely incorrect.

D and E are out because they distort the intended meaning of the original sentence.

IMO A is the winner

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 46

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
Between A and C.
C has two red flags : ambiguous pronoun 'they' and 'far fewer CO2'. Fewer with CO2 is wrong. CO2 is not a countable item.
Hence, answer A.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 46

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 12:22
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have -Correct. Diesel engines emit ...., at the same time emitting ... --> correct

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having -emit is wrongly used; having is wrongly used

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have -and also they is wrong; fewrer CO2 is wrong (uncountable)

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having -and also they is wrong; having is wrong

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having -having is wrong

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 19:18
souvik101990 wrote:

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having
(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having
Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Use of pronoun they is ambiguous - gasoline engines or diesel engines - remove C & D
..... having been implicated in global warming - wrong tense structure- remove B & E

you have your answer A :-)

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2038 [0], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 19:41
I just caught a few typos in (D) and (E) of the original post. So if you dismissed those answer choices quickly, maybe the corrected versions will change your mind? Or at least make you think a little bit?

Sorry for the error, everybody! The explanation will reflect the corrected version of the question.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2038 [0], given: 465

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 21:30
Why use fewer here instead of less. I chose D for that reason

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 21:31
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

I can’t complain about this one. “Carbon dioxide gas” is a singular, non-countable noun, so “less” works fine as a modifier. And this part is a little bit tricky, but the second part of the sentence refers to several different “gasses” – a countable, plural noun – so “fewer” is appropriate.

The phrase beginning with “that” (“that have been implicated…”) correctly modifies “other gasses.” It’s also completely fine to use the “-ing” form of the verb after “as well as.”

So I guess we’ll keep (A).

Quote:

It’s a funny quirk of English: if “as well as” were changed to “and” then we’d want the verbs “burn” and “emit” to be in parallel form. But since we have “as well as”, we’re better off using “emitting”, as we did in (A).

More importantly, I can’t make any sense of the “having been” at the end of the underlined portion. For that reason, we can scrap (B).

Quote:

You could argue that the pronoun “they” is ambiguous here, since it could refer to “diesel engines” or “gasoline engines”, but I’m not convinced: since “they” is the subject of the second clause, it can generally refer back to the subject of the first clause on the GMAT without causing any trouble.

But we definitely have a modifier problem here: “fewer carbon dioxide” doesn’t make any sense, since “carbon dioxide” is a non-countable noun, and “fewer” can only be used with countable nouns. (If you’re not clear about that concept, try counting the noun out loud: “one carbon dioxide, two carbon dioxides, three carbon dioxides…” That makes no sense at all, right? So “carbon dioxide” is non-countable.)

So (C) is gone.

Quote:

The first part of the underlined portion isn’t necessarily WRONG, but it definitely isn’t great: “gasoline engines that have a comparable size” is a really crappy way to say “gasoline engines of comparable size.” I just don’t think it makes sense to use the word “have” in this context, since gasoline engines don’t really possess size.

More importantly, we have a problem with the non-countable modifier “less”, since it seems to be modifying both “carbon dioxide gas” (non-countable) and “other gasses” (countable) – and “less” can’t modify a countable noun.

So (D) is out, too.

Quote:

The first part of the underlined portion suffers from the same problem as (D): “that have a comparable size” is a lousy way to say “of comparable size.” But again, I wouldn’t necessarily eliminate (E) based on that issue by itself.

The other problem is the same as in (D): “less” seems to modify “other gasses”, and that doesn’t work. Plus, I’m really not sold on the idea of using “having” to modify “gasses” at the end of the underlined portion – the version in (A) (“gasses that have…”) seems a little bit better.

In any case, (E) can be eliminated, and we’re left with (A).

Why are other gasses countable ?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 07:26
souvik101990 wrote:

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have - emitting in the ing form modifies the clause "diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel" because in the process of burning less fuel, it is emitting less CO2 and fewer other gasses. Correct.

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having - that have been implicated is better in usage than having

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have - fewer can't modify uncountable noun carbon dioxide

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gasses that have - less can't modify the countable noun other gasses.

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and other gasses having - less can't modify the countable noun other gasses and gasses that have is better in usage

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 83

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel as gasoline engine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 07:17
Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel as gasoline engines with comparable size do, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to be contributing to global warming.

A. as gasoline engines with comparable size do, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to be contributing
B. as gasoline engines of comparable size do, emitting far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which they have determined to contribute
C. than do gasoline engines of comparable size, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to contribute
D. than do gasoline engines of comparable size, and emitting far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined as contributors
E. than gasoline engines whose size is comparable, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined as contributing

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6125 [0], given: 121

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel as gasoline engine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 07:33
saswata4s wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel as gasoline engines with comparable size do, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to be contributing to global warming.

A. as gasoline engines with comparable size do, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to be contributing
B. as gasoline engines of comparable size do, emitting far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which they have determined to contribute
C. than do gasoline engines of comparable size, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to contribute
D. than do gasoline engines of comparable size, and emitting far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined as contributors
E. than gasoline engines whose size is comparable, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined as contributing

hi..

points to be looked into..
1) Comparison :
diesel engines burn AND do gasoline engines.. is correct
E is out

2) with comparable size vs of comparable size
OF comparable size is correct
Eliminate A

3) THEY has no antecedents in B
B is out

4) D has awkward constr at " and emitting.." and determined as contributors

C is perfect

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6125 [0], given: 121

Manager
Manager
B

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel as gasoline engine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 11:29
saswata4s wrote:

with 'Less' there must be 'Then' so A & B out
In E wrong comparision with size of the engine
In D 'as contributors to global warming' is wrong AND ....,and emitting far less.. seems to be modifying diesel engine instead of gasoline engine.

You have your answer C

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 23:31
saswata4s wrote:

This question is different from the below question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-diesel- ... l#p1966798

This question should not have been merged.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 52

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 04:14
The trick lies in understanding the use of the word as well as and how it is different from the word "and". as well as + ing - modifies the previous clause acting as a modifier. More specifically emphasizing that this modifier is attained at the same time as the first.

Answer is A. IMO.
Fewer is wrong for a noun-countable noun CO2 so C is wrong.
B - having - wrong.
D,E - that have a comparable size ? - wrong

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 52

Re: QOTD: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 04:14

QOTD: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap