It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Lacking information about energy use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17047 [2], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Lacking information about energy use [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:03) correct 43% (01:30) wrong based on 401 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 64: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.

A. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that

B. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

C. equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

D. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that

E. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17047 [2], given: 1963

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1602 [2], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Lacking information about energy use [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hm, lots of "that" going on here, plus some bonus pronoun and meaning stuff. If you're not sure what to do with the word "that", check out this crusty old article or this YouTube video.

Quote:
A. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that

The first "that" isn't quite right: it seems to be modifying "equipment," since "such as lights" is a self-contained little modifying phrase (an appositive, if you like grammar jargon), and the last chunk of the sentence is clearly discussing equipment in general, not just the lights. But there's a problem: "equipment... that are visible." Subject-verb fail.

What about the second "that"? It's a singular pronoun in this case, and I'd argue that it unambiguously refers back to "the amount of energy", since there's a super-clear parallel structure: "people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by equipment [that is visible]... and underestimate that used by unobtrusive equipment..." And that seems completely fine: "people tend to... underestimate the amount of energy used by unobtrusive equipment" makes perfect sense.

But the first "that" is still a mess. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

Same subject-verb error as in (A).

I'm also really not crazy about the use of "when" here: literally, they're saying that people underestimate the amount of energy used at the moment when the energy is used by unobtrusive equipment. And that's not quite right: the underestimate is something that happens in general, and not at a specific moment in time. Either way, (B) is out.

Quote:
C. equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

"...equipment... that IS visible" is right, but we have the same "when" problem as in (B). Now that I think about it, I'm also not crazy about the "it" -- the pronoun is a long way from its antecedent, "the amount of energy." The pronoun "that" is much clearer in (A) or (D), because of the parallel structure.

If you wanted to be conservative and hang onto (C) at first, that's great -- I would do the same. But as we'll see in a moment, there's a much better option.

Quote:
D. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that

Ooh, this looks great. No subject-verb issue, plus it's pleasantly succinct: "visible equipment... that must be turned on and off" is way better than "equipment that is visible and must be turned on and off." And as discussed above, "that" is a nice, clear pronoun. Keep (D).

Quote:
E. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

The first part of the underlined portion is nice, but the last chunk "and underestimate it when" is a little bit shaky, both in terms of the pronoun agreement and the meaning of the word "when", as discussed above. (D) is clearly a better choice.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1602 [2], given: 400

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 117 [1], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 65: Sentence Correction

Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Quote:

'Equipment' is singular, and 'are' is plural. OUT

Quote:

Same as A. OUT

Quote:

Definitely word. We can say 'visible equipment' rather than 'equipment that is visible'
'it' - refers to the 'amount of energy'
The amount of energy when used by <- makes little sense. OUT.

Quote:

'that' refers back to 'amount of energy' and I see no other errors. KEEP.

Quote:

Same as C with the 'it when'

I'm going to go with D as the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 117 [1], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 12:49

A. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that - SV error

B. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when -SV error

C. equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when -1. it can refer to equipment. 2. Incorrect usage of when

D. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that-CORRECT.Second that correctly refers to amount of energy

E. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when -1. it can refer to equipment. 2. Incorrect usage of when

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 16:27
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 65: Sentence Correction

I am not sure "equipment" is a plural noun or singular noun, so I could NOT see difference between "that are" and "that is".

In terms of parallelism, I think 2 things are supposed to be parallel as the following structure:

-the amount of energy

+used by visible equipment

+used by unobtrusive equipment.

So, I need to put "visible" before "equipment" to make "visible equipment" parallel to "unobtrusive equipment". Having said that, I could eliminate A, B, C.

So, I'm down to D and E.

In D, "that" refers to "the amount of energy". The use of "that" also maintains parallel structure: people overestimate X used by Y...and underestimate X used by Z. So D seems good.

In E, "it" could refer to either "the amount of energy" or " visible equipment". I do not know.

Moreover, "when" should be followed by a clause, not the phrase of "used by unobtrusive equipment"

IMO D is better than E.

Waiting to learn from OE.

Thanks for the question :)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 180

GPA: 3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 02:55
If C did not had pronoun ambiguity "it"
would it be still correct?

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 180

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 04:34
A. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that Same as B

B. equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when Same as C and are is plural used for equipment which is singular

C. equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when Not parallel with unobtrusive equipment

D. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that CORRECT

E. visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when WHEN is not used correctly

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 96

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 06:30
The question tests us on SVA and parallelism. Options A & B are out because of SVA error. In option C & E , it is not parallel with amount of energy. Instead that has to be used. Therefore option D is the correct answer.

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 96

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9056 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 10:25
haardiksharma wrote:
If C did not had pronoun ambiguity "it"
would it be still correct?

Hello haardiksharma,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Even if the issue of pronoun it is resolved, Choice C will still remain incorrect for the usage of when.

See, the word when is used quite literally on GMAT SC. With the usage of this word, Choice C suggests that people underestimate the amount of energy when used by unobtrusive equipment. Otherwise they do not. Hence, usage of when makes Choice B, C, and E incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9056 [0], given: 335

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 10:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Verbal Experts,
Could someone explain why E is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 800 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 10:29
snjainpune wrote:
Hi Verbal Experts,
Could someone explain why E is wrong?

Hi snjainpune ,

Your query has been explained here.

Please let me know in case you have further questions.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 800 [0], given: 64

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 21:32
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 64: Sentence Correction

Split 1
The sentence sets up contrast between visible equipment and unobtrusive equipment .
So the the meaning of lights that are visible does not make any sense

Split 2
that are visible and must be turned on in this clause parallelism is not correct .
Here it should have been That are visible and that must be turned on to make it parallel.

Split 3
Use of when is incorrect as we are just concerned about their energy usage not about when actually it does takes place .

So the answer is D

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Re: QOTD: Lacking information about energy use   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 21:32

QOTD: Lacking information about energy use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap