Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: R3 of US B-schools-Advice solicited [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gandiva wrote:
Aringo wrote:
Gandiva wrote:
I have recently got a 730 in GMAT.

9.5 years’ work experience.

No international workex. Indian.

Currently working in the Government sector-India’s Central Bank, with a work profile of inspecting/supervising the operations of the top banks and companies including JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse etc., for the past 6 years.

Can demonstrate consistent elevations/progress in career so far in terms of being selected by multiple government organisations In regular intervals in India, with selection percent of 0.1%%

I am applying to European schools for sure.

I am in a fix as to whether I should apply to R3 of Kellogg, Stanford,Haas, MIT, and other top US schools. I request the members of this group to kindly suggest a way forward. Do I have a realistic chance?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Gandiva!

It sounds like you have an impressive work history and a competitive GMAT, but realistically, Kellogg, Stanford, Haas and MIT are all going to be a stretch for you, because of the late round and because most international applications are from India. That being said, I never say never - it is really going to depend on additional factors in your profile (like outside activities/letters of recommendation) and how well you are able to craft a compelling story that will help you to stand out against the many Indian candidates in Finance who are bound to apply. For these reach schools (which are reach schools for anyone, really) you would have better chances waiting until round 1 of the next intake to apply, but if you are sure you want to apply in Round 3 to one of the schools you listed above, I would advise you to go for Kellogg. They invite everyone to an interview, thus giving you an additional opportunity to differentiate yourself from others.

There are other MBA programs in the US where your chances are likely to be better in the third round. Have a look here at some of the schools ranked in the 11th-20th positions: https://www.aringo.com/top-mba-program-rankings/. All of them are stellar programs, truly.

f you'd like to have further consultation on this and learn how ARINGO's MBA Consulting can help you attract the attention of Top MBA programs (even in Round 3!), I'd be happy to have a CEO contact you. Alternatively, you're welcome to leave your contact details here: https://www.aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Cheers!

Chaya Benyamin

Senior Application Consultant – ARINGO

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

Hi Chaya,
Thank you for the quick, detailed and wonderful response.

I wish to give an honest account of my job profile so that a straight-forward picture of my job profile comes out.

Mine is not a Finance background. I am in the field of regulation of banks and all other financial institutions operating in India. My department directly controls the entire finance sector of the country. I/We frame the policies and regulations that guide the banking industry. I also supervise the institutions encompassing all their operations,capital, assets, systems, controls etc. Part of my job is to Chair regular meetings with CEOs, Board members, and all other CXOs of these companies directly for meetings/discussions and advise them on the changes that they have to make on their business conduct. I take their petitions and consider whether these can be incorporated in regulatory policies under which they are governed in the country.

I am not sure whether this profile is good or unique or meeting the expectations of b-schools. Also my age is 34 now( age scares me the most as I feel this might be a dampener) At the same time, I am sure mine is not an EMBA profile.

Please advise.

Grateful.

Hi Gandiva,

Thanks for the clarification on the scope of your work. I think this private-public overlap in your work makes you more interesting! The real question for any business school is going to be, what's next? What's it all going to add up to? I say in R3 you should still stick with Kellogg though, to secure the interview. Your age will not disqualify you, don't worry. Go for it!

Best,

Chaya

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Thank you. Will follow your advice.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gandiva wrote:

Hi Gandiva,

what about the Fellowship programs? Are you open to doing those? Check these out:
LBS Sloan Fellows
MIT Sloan Fellows
Stanford MSx fellows
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gandiva

You're really on the cusp at 34, i really recommend that you focus on European schools primarily. Where the average age is 29 or 30. Apply where the average GMAT is around 710-715. INSEAD Jan term is a good idea if you are trilingual or close - if not maybe focus on other January batch programs that might interest you like HEC or IMD; The earlier the better for Indian candidates always. I know that at the 10 year mark INSEAD starts to divert people to the executive program so you'll want to apply as soon as possible. The biggest reason I am pushing January term: you wont' be so late in the cycle. it makes a huge difference in your chances because seats for bright Indians fill up quickly. You can do an internship for Jan term. And, chances for scholarships are greatest in R2. Target that deadline.

I think that your profile is interesting and differentiated but if you apply this late in the cycle, I think you'll need to apply rather broadly and hopefully hit a school that doesn't have a candidate like you yet. That's easier to do when you're applying to January programs because it's earlier in the cycle. If you're applying to Kellogg I would recommend a one year program more than the 2 year, which is more suited to older applicants. If you want a 2-year program, you can try for IESE now but there is also LBS, ESADE, and HEC also offers an internship period.

Make sure to be extremely clear about your goal and be very certain that that school can help you recruit for that goal and that you're recruiting for an industry that accepts international candidates. Just make sure to have a very clear exit strategy from the MBA so that they know they can help you.

If you are willing to wait for fall, consider Stanford MSX – I really think that provided you do the application (recs, CV, essays) well, you have a good shot there. As well as Sloan fellows. For European schools in the fall, IESE, Cambridge, would all be good bets. If it’s lower, you might have a chance at scholarships but only with earlier rounds, those $ are gone by the last round.

Gandiva wrote:

Currently working in the Government sector-India’s Central Bank, with a work profile of inspecting/supervising the operations of the top banks and companies including JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse etc., for the past 6 years.

Can demonstrate consistent elevations/progress in career so far in terms of being selected by multiple government organisations In regular intervals in India, with selection percent of 0.1%%

I am in a fix as to whether I should apply to R3 of Kellogg, Stanford,Haas, MIT, and other top US schools. I request the members of this group to kindly suggest a way forward. Do I have a realistic chance?

Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
https://poetsandquants.com/2014/04/16/overcoming-b-schools-20-something-preference/

Dated article but still has good information Gandiva

Gandiva wrote:

Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Gandiva

You're really on the cusp at 34, i really recommend that you focus on European schools primarily. Where the average age is 29 or 30. Apply where the average GMAT is around 710-715. INSEAD Jan term is a good idea if you are trilingual or close - if not maybe focus on other January batch programs that might interest you like HEC or IMD; The earlier the better for Indian candidates always. I know that at the 10 year mark INSEAD starts to divert people to the executive program so you'll want to apply as soon as possible. The biggest reason I am pushing January term: you wont' be so late in the cycle. it makes a huge difference in your chances because seats for bright Indians fill up quickly. You can do an internship for Jan term. And, chances for scholarships are greatest in R2. Target that deadline.

I think that your profile is interesting and differentiated but if you apply this late in the cycle, I think you'll need to apply rather broadly and hopefully hit a school that doesn't have a candidate like you yet. That's easier to do when you're applying to January programs because it's earlier in the cycle. If you're applying to Kellogg I would recommend a one year program more than the 2 year, which is more suited to older applicants. If you want a 2-year program, you can try for IESE now but there is also LBS, ESADE, and HEC also offers an internship period.

Make sure to be extremely clear about your goal and be very certain that that school can help you recruit for that goal and that you're recruiting for an industry that accepts international candidates. Just make sure to have a very clear exit strategy from the MBA so that they know they can help you.

If you are willing to wait for fall, consider Stanford MSX – I really think that provided you do the application (recs, CV, essays) well, you have a good shot there. As well as Sloan fellows. For European schools in the fall, IESE, Cambridge, would all be good bets. If it’s lower, you might have a chance at scholarships but only with earlier rounds, those $ are gone by the last round.

Gandiva wrote:

Hi,
Thank you very much for that insightful advice.
I understand how my approach should be. Will ensure that other parts of my application are good too.
I guess I need to get more information about MSx and Sloan.

Thank you very very much...
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
MBADecoder wrote:
Gandiva wrote:

Hi Gandiva,

what about the Fellowship programs? Are you open to doing those? Check these out:
LBS Sloan Fellows
MIT Sloan Fellows
Stanford MSx fellows

Hi,
Thanks for giving a new perspective. I have been thinking about these as well. But then except the Msx, other require more experience than I have, probably. On Msx, I am worried it is not STEM designated and therefore, the lowered chances of a H1B is a big discouraging factor.

These are my current views about these programs. Really hoping that I am wrong.... With guidance from concerned and wonderful people like you, I am sure I will get the right knowledge in time. :)

Please continue helping :)
GMAT Club Bot