It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Really Frustrated After Studying A Lot. Urgent Need Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 171

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Really Frustrated After Studying A Lot. Urgent Need Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 13:27
Hello everyone,

I have been struggling to improve my score to 600-650 level. I need proper guidance to built a strategy to overcome my score improvement. I mainly have problem at verbal and timing.

Let me give you some information on this regard.

Background: 25 years old, Non Native-Engineer working in a marketing field at one of the top 5 pharma company.
My strong side is Quant thanks to engineering background. But I knew that I have so long road on Verbal. I have 2-3 hours at week days and 6-8 hours at weekend.

My diagnose exam was 460 (Q40, V15) (such a shame)
I have been studying since mid-May. I started with MGMAT books for each part of exam. I finished all of them with practice questions along with OG 13 and Quant & Verbal Review. I have been keeping Error Log. CR and SC percentile around %70. Most of the questions that I solved 600 and 600-700 level. Sources Kaplan, OG, GMATPrep etc. I didnt start solving +700 questions.
Normally I can solved questions under 2 min but I cannot do the same at CATs.

My process is below.

4/6/2017 GMATClub CAT scored 630 (Q48, V28) I solved the test at study mode so I exceeded time limit 3 minutes (I had a beer before it so I was so relax before test)
18/6/2017 GMATPrep CAT-1 590 (Q48, V24). I struggled with timing since I had to guess at least 3 question at the end of the each part of the exam.
23/7/2017 MGMAT CAT-1 540 (Q37, V28)
27/8/2017 GMATPrep CAT-2 590 (Q47, V26) Again timing was problematic I rushed at questions and guess 3-4 at each part.

Objective: I aim to obtain 720-740 in two months and apply top business schools at Europe CEMS and MiM programs. (ESADE, Bocconi, Stockholm etc.)

Questions:
1. I have huge fat timing issue and I don't feel comfortable during test. How can I solve this problem? I had to guess many questions at the end of the tests or even mark choice before test ends.

2.How can I improve my verbal scores since it is still weak area of me. I believe I covered necessary part of SC.

I need bunch of advises. I am really stressed and frustrated. Which strategy, material or anything work out ?

Big thanks in advance!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Really Frustrated After Studying A Lot. Urgent Need Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 15:32
Hi hammerofodin,

The two scores on your Official CATs show that you performed almost exactly the same on those 2 Tests (even though they were over 2 months apart). Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level - and given your studies so far (and scores), it's likely that this has happened to you as well. Pacing issues do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER issues. To improve your pacing, you're going to have to learn/practice new Tactics for the Quant and Verbal sections.

To hit a 720+, you're going to have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and all of that work will likely take at least 3 months of consistent, guided study. This is meant to say that you will likely need to invest in some new, non-book study materials and that you'll probably need more time than you've allotted.

1) Do you have an Official Test Date yet (and if so, then what is it?)?
2) What are the application deadlines for the Programs that you're interested in?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 23:29
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thanks for response. So far I solved 500 Verbal and 400 Quant questions. And my accuracy is above average I guess (70%)
Do you think it is not enough? (#of Qs and accuracy)
For pacing I need solid tactics to be faster. Also I need to keep track the time during exam. I have been using GMATCLUB Timer and I solved questions under 2 min.
I need other materials I agree on that.

Answer to your questions;
1.I havent book a date yet. I plan to take it Mid-November.
2. Most of the deadlines are December and January
3. 2-3 hours weekday, 6-8 hours weekends.

Thanks a lot!

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 16:02
Hi hammerofodin,

There's a big difference between 'quantity' of study and 'quality' of study. However many questions you completed over the last 2 months, you clearly responded to that second Official practice CAT in the same general ways that you responded to the first. Thus, you have to proactively change 'your way' of doing things (otherwise you will likely continue to score in the high-500s).

The application deadlines that you're facing aren't until December/January, so you still have plenty of time to study and improve. That having been said, you will need to be 'efficient' with your remaining studies to hit that score goal by those deadlines. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Really Frustrated After Studying A Lot. Urgent Need Help!   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2017, 16:02

Really Frustrated After Studying A Lot. Urgent Need Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap