GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 526
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jan 2019, 02:03
29
1
77
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:12) correct 19% (01:30) wrong based on 4019 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.


(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable


OG 2017 New Question

_________________
Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Originally posted by AbdurRakib on 15 Jun 2016, 03:46.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Jan 2019, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 387
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 16:14
10
3
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

Meaning of the sentence:
Studies have supported an argument that emotions are a social phenomenon. The emotions include those deemed personal or private. These social phenomena are inseparable from Bodily Temperature

A) private is a social phenomenon,though one inseparable
1) Emotions -> are -> Subject Verb Agreement issue

B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable -> Correctly conveyed

C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
1) There are two nots -> Changes the meaning of the sentence
2) comma is required to specify that the modifier has ended.


D) private –are social phenomena but are not separable
1) Social phenomena is not separable from Bodily Temperature. It sounds as if
Emotions
a) are social Phenomena
but
b) are not separable from bodily Temperature

2) Comma is required to specify where the modifier ends


E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable
1) Also as private emotions -> Removes the function of "or" and doesn't go well at all.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: Professional GMAT Tutor
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Posts: 706
Location: United States (CA)
Age: 39
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Sep 2019, 19:54
17
3
668. Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those separable
D) private--are social phenomena but not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable


The correct answer must have a comma in it to complete the appositive (descriptive phrase with commas on both sides), and you must be able to skip over the appositive and have the sentence still make sense.

A) We cannot say that “emotions (plural subject)...is" (singular verb) a social phenomenon. In addition, the sentence does not make sense when skipping over the appositive "emotions...though one inseparable...".

B) Yes. The plural of “phenomenon” is “phenomena.” "emotions...are inseparable" is correct ("they are").

C) Emotions (plural) cannot be a phenomenon (singular).

D) The dash would only work if the initial comma were replaced by a dash (appositives require two commas, two dashes, or two parentheses).

E) Or + also = redundant
_________________
Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V.

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y7knw7bt Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club) or find me on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 14 Jul 2016, 19:31.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 25 Sep 2019, 19:54, edited 16 times in total.
General Discussion
Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 715
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 04:04
1
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

A) private is a social phenomenon,though one inseparable
B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private –are social phenomena but are not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question


d is wrong because there is no contrast between two parts before and after "but" . so there is no reason to use "but"
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 804
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 09:25
5
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

A) private is a social phenomenon,though one inseparable
B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private –are social phenomena but are not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question


'Emotions' needs plural 'are'. A is out

We do need contrast in the sentence; however, we need to mention that emotions are social phenomenon that are not separable from bodily temperature. C and D are out

'also' is redundant with 'or' in option E.

B is the right option.
_________________
I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4782
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 04:40
2
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

A) private is a social phenomenon,though one inseparable
B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private –are social phenomena but are not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question


Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private,are social phenomena that are inseparable from bodily temperature.

None but (B) maintains s-v structure and conveys the indended meaning...

_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Posts: 95
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 09:12
1
B.

The clause 'including those deemed personal or private' is an non essential one and needs to be separated off with a comma. This leaves only B and E.
E however doesn't fit the parallelism of deemed __ or ___

Hope we see this type of question on the real exam!
Current Student
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 818
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M$)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 10:50
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private – are social phenomena but are not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

I am not able to parse this "one" in option A. Can you please share your view here mcelroytutoring?
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: Professional GMAT Tutor
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Posts: 706
Location: United States (CA)
Age: 39
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Nov 2016, 12:51
2
Keats wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private – are social phenomena but are not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

I am not able to parse this "one" in option A. Can you please share your view here mcelroytutoring?


"One" is simply referring to "a social phenomenon" and is a simpler way of restating that phrase. That part is fine. For example: "I am looking for a skilled tutor, one who understands every in and out of the GMAT verbal section."
_________________
Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V.

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y7knw7bt Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club) or find me on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 24 Jul 2016, 11:01.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 04 Nov 2016, 12:51, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Oct 2016
Posts: 21
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 03:04
1
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

A) private is a social phenomenon,though one inseparable
B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private –are social phenomena but are not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

Vertical Scan reveals a split of 'is/are'
The subject is 'emotions', so option A (is is single). Eliminate
Option B, C, D and E
In B, comma before 'are'
In C, no comma before 'are'
In D, dash(-) before 'are'
In E, a comma before 'are'

The sentence has a modifier(including.............private)
'including is preceded by a comma, therefore, private should be followed by comma
Option C and D are out

In B and E
"or" before the underlined part demands a parallel construction
'personal' or 'also as private' not parallel
Option E is out

Therefore option B is the correct answer
_________________
Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
8860616050
http://www.gmatmantra.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Sep 2016
Posts: 29
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 02:03
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable
B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private –are social phenomena but not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question



I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1468
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 06:38
gmat4varun wrote:
I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?

Hi gmat4varun, that is referring to social phenomena.

All relative pronouns (such as that in this case) can refer to both singular or plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative pronouns, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Sep 2016
Posts: 29
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 21:56
EducationAisle wrote:
gmat4varun wrote:
I got to option B in 57 seconds but got one doubt that what is "That" referring to? I feel it is referring to Emotions then isn't it should be those because plural of That is Those or something which means plural?

Hi gmat4varun, that is referring to social phenomena.

All relative pronouns (such as that in this case) can refer to both singular or plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative pronouns, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.



If that is referring to social phenomena , then isn't it is wrong to use "THAT" instead of "WHICH" ?
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1468
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 23:31
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Sep 2016
Posts: 29
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 04:02
EducationAisle wrote:
Why do you say so? Kindly explain.



I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2861
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 13:56
gmat4varun wrote:


I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .



Hello gmat4varun,

I apologize if my response seems intrusion. This is completely unintentional. :-)

The two sentences that you have presented in your post convey exactly the same meaning. There is no such rule that that must be used to refer to plural nouns and which must be used to refer to plural nouns.

Both that and which are noun modifiers and can refer to both singular and plural noun.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 479
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 02:55
egmat wrote:
gmat4varun wrote:


I believe between two sentences below , 2nd sentence is better than 1st .
1. I have a pen which writes very good .
2. I have a pen that writes very good .



Hello gmat4varun,

I apologize if my response seems intrusion. This is completely unintentional. :-)

The two sentences that you have presented in your post convey exactly the same meaning. There is no such rule that that must be used to refer to plural nouns and which must be used to refer to plural nouns.

Both that and which are noun modifiers and can refer to both singular and plural noun.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha



From the grammatical stand, B is the clear winner. I wanted to understand from the meaning standpoint.

Main meaning: Emotions are social phenomena.

Additional:

though one inseparable from bodily response.

A) though one inseparable -->one (emotion) inseparable from bodily response. Does this convey the meaning correctly? Don't we wish to present that emotions are inseparable from bodily response. I find the meaning here ambiguous. What I understood is that there exists any one such emotion which is inseparable from bodily response.

B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable --> social phenomena are inseparable from bodily response --> Makes sense to me.

I would like to understand your view.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 140
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Reviews Badge
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 08:41
1
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable - "Emotions" is plural. Use of "is" is incorrect. Eliminate.
(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable - Correct answer. "That" modifies the closest noun "social phenomenon". Modifier "including ....private" is correctly within the commas and modifying emotions.
(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable - No antecedent for those. Eliminate.
(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable - The dash (—) is a flexible punctuation mark that the GMAT occasionally employs. You can use a dash
as an emphatic comma, semicolon, or colon.
But in this sentence the modifier "including ...private" has a comma to start with so it should end also with the comma. Had dash been used to start this modifier than the dash in this answer choice would have been correct.
(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable - We see the parallalism marker "or" so personal or private should be in the correct answer choice.

After removing the fluff, we get "Emotions are social phenomenon that are inseparable from bodily response."
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1685
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 03:20
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.


(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable


We need a "comma" to set off the VERB-ing modifier from the main clause, and also to connect the verb "are" with subject "emotions" properly.

"Emotions" is plural, so we need "are".

_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 94
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 14:18
1
gmat4varun

That is referring to phenomena. Now Plural of Phenomena is Phenomena and that's why in option B, the use of the plural verb "are" is correct.

mcelroytutoring Could you please confirm if the above reasoning is correct for the use of plural verb are? Appreciate it.
_________________
1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2018, 14:18

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne