Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Modifiersx   Subject Verb Agreementx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions [#permalink]
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question

In choice

Shoudn't we use 'is' for social phenomena?

Can anyone clear this doubt?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ahmed9955 wrote:
In choice

Shoudn't we use 'is' for social phenomena?

Can anyone clear this doubt?

Believe it or nor, phenomena is plural!

Singular is phenomenon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question

As per my understanding, there can be two possible meaning of this sentence:

1) Emotions are a social phenomena, and it is inseparable from bodily response.
(Here, we are clearly talking about emotions being a social phenomena as well as indifferent from bodily response.)

2) Emotions are a social phenomena that is inseparable from bodily response.
(Here, it says that emotions are a social phenomena. Social phenomena that are inseparable from bodily response.)
At first, we are only talking about emotions, whereas, in the second part, we are adding information about social phenomena using 'that' before it.

If the intended meaning was the second sentence, then option B was absolutely correct. But if the intended meaning was the first sentence, the option B does not sound accurate. I got confused because I found B correct but I did not understand the meaning of this sentence logically. I chose B instinctively within 40 seconds. What is the core of this sentence out of the above two sentences I mentioned?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello kadamhari825,

This is in response to your PM.

You asked: hello expert,

in option B 'that 'is referring immediate noun social phenomena and it does not make any sense . Am i correct in reasoning? please correct me IF I AM WORONG.

Thnaks

I am afraid to say that you are wrong. Choice B is the correct answer. There is nothing incorrect about this choice. In this choice, the noun modifier "that" does refer to the preceding noun "social phenomena". This modification is correct because according to the sentence, emotions = social phenomena. So, technically, "emotions" are inseparable from bodily response.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Kritisood wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
Kritisood wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun

In this article, the example at the end eliminates options B and D because " "that” is used as a placeholder for “eggs” hence we need to use “those” – the plural form – here."

Here that refers to something before it (eggs) but still it's wrong. Could you please throw some light?

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2017/0 ... t-on-gmat/
Hi Kritisood,

Good question! The difference is that the that which doesn't have a plural form is the one which refers to a noun before it, not one which replaces a noun (what you've referred to as a "placeholder"). For example:

1. A question that is difficult usually takes more time to solve. ← Here the that refers to "a question". It cannot, however, be replaced by the noun "question" ("a question question is difficult usually takes more time to solve").

2a. The evidence found in his phone was stronger than that found in his home. ← Here the that does not "refer" to the first evidence, in the sense that it actually introduces an entirely new second evidence.
2b. The evidence found in his phone was stronger than the evidence found in his home. ← We can even replace the that with evidence.

So, a that that refers to (describes) a noun before it can refer to both singular and plural nouns, and does not have a plural form.

Hey!!
Ok, so if "that" refers to a noun before it, then it doesn't have to take a singular or a plural form but if "that" replaces the noun before it then it has to be singular. Is my understanding is correct??

Hi Kritisood not an expert but the two cases of "that" you refered play different function.
1. That table over the corner costs $500 - That here is demonstrattive adjective
2. The Juice that doesnot contains added preservatives tastes liike water (Just saying) - That here is relative pronoun and introduces a relative clause
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
egmat

Regarding option D, are there any other issues apart from the dash?

If we replace the dash with a comma, will option d be correct? Or is there still an issue with the part after but
i.e. "but not separable" vs "but are not separable" (is 'are' implied in the former?)

Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private, are social phenomena but not separable
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions [#permalink]
Kudos
Here,
",including those deemed personal or private" is a modifier, so need to end it with ","
(A), (C), (D) are eliminated (in D, the start is with "," and the end is with "-") - incorrect
In (E) its parallelism error "deemed personal or also as private emotions...." - incorrect

Therefore answer: (B)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Divyadisha wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily temperature.

A) private is a social phenomenon,though one inseparable
B) private,are social phenomena that are inseparable
C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable
D) private –are social phenomena but are not separable
E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

OG 2017 New Question

'Emotions' needs plural 'are'. A is out

We do need contrast in the sentence; however, we need to mention that emotions are social phenomenon that are not separable from bodily temperature. C and D are out

'also' is redundant with 'or' in option E.

B is the right option.

if we use "but" in choice d, the meaning is that social phenomena are normally separable. this meaning is not logical. we dont need any contrast inhere. we need to identify a subset of the social phenamena and use relative clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
In option B, what is 'that' referring to. Isn't 'that' referring to social phenomenon
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
vidyasagar151 wrote:
In option B, what is 'that' referring to. Isn't 'that' referring to social phenomenon

Hello vidyasagar151,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

In this sentence "that" does, indeed, refer to "social phenomenon".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Could you explain what does that are inseparable modify? At first I thought it was incorrectly modifying phenomena.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
KarishmaB

What's the meaning of this sentence?

Emotions are social phenomena that are inseparable from bodily response.
Emotions are inseparable or phenomena are inseparable?

Thank you in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB

What's the meaning of this sentence?

Emotions are social phenomena that are inseparable from bodily response.
Emotions are inseparable or phenomena are inseparable?

Thank you in advance!

'that are inseparable from bodily response' is an essential modifier for 'social phenomena.'
The sentence tells us that 'emotions' are a kind of 'social phenomena.' What kind of social phenomena? Social phenomena that are inseparable from bodily response. So likely there are some social phenomena that are separable from bodily response but emotions are the social phenomena that are inseparable.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts