GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 18:04
I admit I was shocked to get an email from an advisor saying she would not proceed with my application.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is this supposed to happen this early before I even submit a full file?
She claimed the admission committee did a cursory review but I suspect she meant the application advisors reviewed it and for some reason decided not to advocate for me.

I only submitted the preliminary review information (Step 1 items). Which was basically my resume and the online form, no gmat, no references, no essays or responses.

Is this normal or has this happened to anyone else? No where in the steps to apply does it say that the application advisor will reject your application before you can even submit a full file. The website seems to indicate the advisor's role is to support your file not make a decision on it. I would have an easier time accepting this decision but I believe my resume is strong (or least strong enough to be given a chance to apply).
1. I have worked in a big four consulting firm, straight out of my undergraduate degree, as a Consultant (skipped over Analyst). This was a post-MBA position for most. Even some friends I knew from bcomm started as Analysts (position below me) at the same firm.
2. I then worked as a Communications Advisor advising senior management and the CEO of a large organization. This job paid almost 100k. The CEO is my reference and is doing his executive MBA at Queens right now.
3. I also worked in political campaigns and worked with Hewlett Packard and the government in co-ops.

All she saw was my resume and says I cannot continue with my application. My MBA friends who graduated Queens encouraged me to apply there, many referencing my strong work experience. Some were accepted to Queens with much less work experience.
I honestly believe she or the other advisors just decided they didn't want to represent me and that the admission committee did not actually sit for a cursory review of my highly incomplete file. According to Queen's website the advisors are supposed to take you through the next stages of your application but she will not allow me to proceed further. Do I have any recourse in this situation? Any help or if others experienced the same, would be great to know. thanks!
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 2837
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 10:51
Hey scotchhudgins

I suppose you could check with a current student on this thread
https://gmatclub.com/forum/queen-s-mba- ... 619.htmlng to the

Btw, this is really bizarre. With a profile as impressive as that, if you can't
even finish your application, god knows what's in store for the others.
_________________

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Dec 2017
Posts: 27
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 11:23
Scary

study mode
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 21:56
Thanks for the response and link. I sent an email to the school and plan to follow up in the coming business days. I really want to understand their explanation or to be able to actually apply.
A friend went on their chat support Saturday and kept the transcript where the advisor said they only make a decision after the full file is received. Their website also says quote "Each candidate's file will be considered in its entirety. Consideration will be given to previous academic performance, work experience, letters of reference, and your GMAT score. If you fall a little short on one parameter, but are strong on the others, you may well be a qualified candidate for this program."

It's bizarre indeed. Last year's valedictorian of the Queen's MBA was in my same national consulting unit that I was staffed in when I worked there and we did consulting school together with my team winning the case competition.
Even more bizarre is my friend (Queens MBA class 2017) advised me to even apply to their executive MBA program because he thought I had enough good experience and shouldn't bother with their regular MBA.
My only direct and indirect connections to queens prior are:
1. indirectly, my older brother finished his med school residency there a few year years ago
2. I was accepted to an MPA last year but decided not to go because I realized I'd rather have MBA (maybe I got blacklisted now?? if so others need not worry)
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 28 May 2014
Posts: 528
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 00:18
scotchhudgins wrote:
I admit I was shocked to get an email from an advisor saying she would not proceed with my application.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is this supposed to happen this early before I even submit a full file?
She claimed the admission committee did a cursory review but I suspect she meant the application advisors reviewed it and for some reason decided not to advocate for me.

I only submitted the preliminary review information (Step 1 items). Which was basically my resume and the online form, no gmat, no references, no essays or responses.

Is this normal or has this happened to anyone else? No where in the steps to apply does it say that the application advisor will reject your application before you can even submit a full file. The website seems to indicate the advisor's role is to support your file not make a decision on it. I would have an easier time accepting this decision but I believe my resume is strong (or least strong enough to be given a chance to apply).
1. I have worked in a big four consulting firm, straight out of my undergraduate degree, as a Consultant (skipped over Analyst). This was a post-MBA position for most. Even some friends I knew from bcomm started as Analysts (position below me) at the same firm.
2. I then worked as a Communications Advisor advising senior management and the CEO of a large organization. This job paid almost 100k. The CEO is my reference and is doing his executive MBA at Queens right now.
3. I also worked in political campaigns and worked with Hewlett Packard and the government in co-ops.

All she saw was my resume and says I cannot continue with my application. My MBA friends who graduated Queens encouraged me to apply there, many referencing my strong work experience. Some were accepted to Queens with much less work experience.
I honestly believe she or the other advisors just decided they didn't want to represent me and that the admission committee did not actually sit for a cursory review of my highly incomplete file. According to Queen's website the advisors are supposed to take you through the next stages of your application but she will not allow me to proceed further. Do I have any recourse in this situation? Any help or if others experienced the same, would be great to know. thanks!


Maybe they felt that your profile is too strong and and finally you'll not admit to their school. Did she mention any reason? Did you ask her how can you improve your candidacy?
_________________

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 12:33
saswata4s wrote:
scotchhudgins wrote:
I admit I was shocked to get an email from an advisor saying she would not proceed with my application.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is this supposed to happen this early before I even submit a full file?
She claimed the admission committee did a cursory review but I suspect she meant the application advisors reviewed it and for some reason decided not to advocate for me.

I only submitted the preliminary review information (Step 1 items). Which was basically my resume and the online form, no gmat, no references, no essays or responses.

Is this normal or has this happened to anyone else? No where in the steps to apply does it say that the application advisor will reject your application before you can even submit a full file. The website seems to indicate the advisor's role is to support your file not make a decision on it. I would have an easier time accepting this decision but I believe my resume is strong (or least strong enough to be given a chance to apply).
1. I have worked in a big four consulting firm, straight out of my undergraduate degree, as a Consultant (skipped over Analyst). This was a post-MBA position for most. Even some friends I knew from bcomm started as Analysts (position below me) at the same firm.
2. I then worked as a Communications Advisor advising senior management and the CEO of a large organization. This job paid almost 100k. The CEO is my reference and is doing his executive MBA at Queens right now.
3. I also worked in political campaigns and worked with Hewlett Packard and the government in co-ops.

All she saw was my resume and says I cannot continue with my application. My MBA friends who graduated Queens encouraged me to apply there, many referencing my strong work experience. Some were accepted to Queens with much less work experience.
I honestly believe she or the other advisors just decided they didn't want to represent me and that the admission committee did not actually sit for a cursory review of my highly incomplete file. According to Queen's website the advisors are supposed to take you through the next stages of your application but she will not allow me to proceed further. Do I have any recourse in this situation? Any help or if others experienced the same, would be great to know. thanks!


Maybe they felt that your profile is too strong and and finally you'll not admit to their school. Did she mention any reason? Did you ask her how can you improve your candidacy?



I have requested more information and hope to get a clearer picture this week from the admission's office. The admissions manager contacted me and is trying to arrange a phone call, although I made it clear I want to speak to the director. Another odd thing, the email the admission manager Maryann Young reached out to me from was forwarded from applicant advisor Andrea Wright with the subject "disgruntled applicant"...wtf, the Manager didn't even change the subject line to something more professional like "applicant appeal or applicant requests review' or something. Suffice to say I feel like I am being treated like dirt. I also think they are not following process properly. Though it could be possible I am overqualified I personally do not believe I am overqualified as I graduated undergrad in 2014 and have not worked as a Manager or higher. Also, Queens was high on my list because of their focus on strategy and leadership. Also the duration of their program is shorter and likelihood of actually attending is high for me. I'll let you know if more details emerge.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 13:07
So I had a phone call with the Associate Director Geoff Coon. He apologized for how the process was not followed and apologized for the poor customer service.

So it seems that they intend to follow the process as stated, but some manager of the applicant advisors and the applicant advisors themselves can block or veto someone early without actually having the admission committee sit if they feel like none of the applicant advisors want to advocate for you. (Don't know if this is officially condoned or if it is done under the radar but it is certainly not part of their applicant process). It all seems a bit shady and unprofessional to me.


He offered me a chance to apply. I told him I would follow up with some friends I know who did the program last year, including their valedictorian who did consulting with me and let them know in a few days.

In summary, he said it was mishandled, apologized for the handling of it. Like I said it seems a bit odd that the applicant advisor team could act as a screening wall and a sloppy screening wall at that. Looks like I exposed an inside part of the process. Be advised.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Nov 2015
Posts: 31
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 13:28
Wow that sucks.

Sounds like it was a blessing in disguise.

God knows why anyone would want to go to a school that so badly mismanages its admissions process.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 13:57
scotchhudgins wrote:
So I had a phone call with the Associate Director Geoff Coon. He apologized for how the process was not followed and apologized for the poor customer service.

So it seems that they intend to follow the process as stated, but some manager of the applicant advisors and the applicant advisors themselves can block or veto someone early without actually having the admission committee sit if they feel like none of the applicant advisors want to advocate for you. (Don't know if this is officially condoned or if it is done under the radar but it is certainly not part of their applicant process). It all seems a bit shady and unprofessional to me.


He offered me a chance to apply. I told him I would follow up with some friends I know who did the program last year, including their valedictorian who did consulting with me and let them know in a few days.

In summary, he said it was mishandled, apologized for the handling of it. Like I said it seems a bit odd that the applicant advisor team could act as a screening wall and a sloppy screening wall at that. Looks like I exposed an inside part of the process. Be advised.




Indeed it is a shady practice.
But at the least you got a chance to speak up and let them know what you thought of it.
It is kind of a bad situation. Just because one or two advisors, the whole school gets a bad rep. I have totally opposite experience and being asked to submit my application by the reviewer. And yet, I am not sure if I will submit. Your experience too influences here a bit.
Let's see.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Mar 2018, 14:04
hiren2011 wrote:
scotchhudgins wrote:
So I had a phone call with the Associate Director Geoff Coon. He apologized for how the process was not followed and apologized for the poor customer service.

So it seems that they intend to follow the process as stated, but some manager of the applicant advisors and the applicant advisors themselves can block or veto someone early without actually having the admission committee sit if they feel like none of the applicant advisors want to advocate for you. (Don't know if this is officially condoned or if it is done under the radar but it is certainly not part of their applicant process). It all seems a bit shady and unprofessional to me.


He offered me a chance to apply. I told him I would follow up with some friends I know who did the program last year, including their valedictorian who did consulting with me and let them know in a few days.

In summary, he said it was mishandled, apologized for the handling of it. Like I said it seems a bit odd that the applicant advisor team could act as a screening wall and a sloppy screening wall at that. Looks like I exposed an inside part of the process. Be advised.






Indeed it is a shady practice.
But at the least you got a chance to speak up and let them know what you thought of it.
It is kind of a bad situation. Just because one or two advisors, the whole school gets a bad rep. I have totally opposite experience and being asked to submit my application by the reviewer. And yet, I am not sure if I will submit. Your experience too influences here a bit.
Let's see.




I agree. Don't let this change your mind if you are set on applying. Mr.Coon was very professional and likable. It's just too bad the administrative practices are a bit shady and Directors definitely either know or ought to know what is going on.

Originally posted by scotchhudgins on 07 Mar 2018, 14:02.
Last edited by scotchhudgins on 07 Mar 2018, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 14:03
jboog wrote:
Wow that sucks.

Sounds like it was a blessing in disguise.

God knows why anyone would want to go to a school that so badly mismanages its admissions process.



I am thinking the same. I can't let that pass, it tarnished their integrity to me and I will probably move on to other schools.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 21:41
That's a really scary story. A reject with a profile like yours is unheard of.
I've been awaiting my Initial Profile Evaluation as well, but I guess I have no shot at it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 09:28
Well, nevermind. Got rejected.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 318
Location: Canada
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 13:29
arijit2 wrote:
Well, nevermind. Got rejected.



Is it a rejection from initial review too? That's kind of crazy..
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 19:01
hiren2011 wrote:
arijit2 wrote:
Well, nevermind. Got rejected.



Is it a rejection from initial review too? That's kind of crazy..



Yes, it is. :(
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 21:43
arijit2 wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
arijit2 wrote:
Well, nevermind. Got rejected.



Is it a rejection from initial review too? That's kind of crazy..



Yes, it is. :(



Damn, sorry to hear. I don't feel that's right since it is not the actual admission committee sitting and evaluating your whole story. You do not even get a chance to sell them on your narrative. Their website (and if you call or talk on chat support) says that only a decision is made by the admission committee once references are checked. This is blatant lie and violation of an 'applicant contract' with regards to process that they are promising on all of the published materials or from their point of contacts. Instead, is it one Manager of the applicant advisors and the applicant advisors themselves behaving as the admission committee when they are not the official sitting admission committee nor are qualified as such? I am pretty sure the Applicant Advisor Manager, even though she sits on the admissions committee, as herself (one person) cannot or should not carry "the full authority of the whole committee actually sitting" and reject people willy nilly. If that is how they are practicing, it is not advertised and is it possibly a rules violation? ... unless Queens lets any member of the admission committee make a full decision on applicants without actually getting the entire admission committee members to convene? But instead I would question if the Manager of the Applicant Advisors has usurped admission committee power entirely so that ONE PERSON DECIDES, i.e. her, with no actual committee hearing? Do the directors know and allow this to happen to filter (short cut) through the thousands of applications even though their office claims the admission committee only decides on the entire file? (which I guess technically they are right, since the admission committee did not decide on these files, but then they are lying to applicants in the emails they sent out saying the admission committee actually sat when it didn't and said they would not proceed further) Are these rules violation? Even though I do not want to spend more time on this, it is an integrity issue, and I may follow up with the President's office at Queens and inquire on admission committee policies and how much flexibility they have to self govern or adhere to their policies. If anyone else as a story similar to rejection in prelim feel free to let me know. Also let me know if they claimed "the admission committee reviewed your file" because they write that in the email but in actuality the admission committee may not have sat that early to review an incomplete file as I found out from the Associate Director himself.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 107
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 22:18
In my case as well, it was Ms.Andrea Wright who replied and conveyed the rejection. She claimed that the Admissions Committee decided not to move forward with my application. It is possible that she could have done the evaluation herself or she represents the Adcom for the applicants. Although, I must admit that she was very courteous in her approach and suggested I make my profile stronger and then apply again. Either way, looks like Queen's isn't happening for me this time :(
Re: Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor?   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2018, 22:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rejected in the Prelimiary Review by application advisor?

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.