It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 221 [2], given: 19

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 14:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:14) correct 53% (01:17) wrong based on 273 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I point to statistics. Surveys of couples have shown that those who live together before getting married are more likely to get divorced. Clearly, living together before marriage is one of the causes of divorce.

Which of the following, if true, is most damaging to the relationship advisor’s conclusion?

A. In comparison with more conservative minded people, more liberal minded people tend to be both more open to living together before marriage and more open to getting divorced.

B. In some countries the divorce rate has steadily decreased over the past 30 years.

C. Couples who live together before getting married have an opportunity to learn to work together as a team before they get married.

D. For preventing divorce, there is no substitute for having good communication skills.

E. For many couples who live together before getting married, marriage does not immediately lead to significant changes in their lifestyles.

Source: TTP Beta Testing
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Last edited by MartyMurray on 16 May 2017, 07:56, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 221 [2], given: 19

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1107 [1], given: 884

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 21:03
This post received
KUDOS
Question Type: Weaken

Main Point: Living together before marriage leads to divorce.
Assumption: There was no other factor involved.

A. In comparison with more conservative minded people, more liberal minded people tend to be more open to living together before marriage and more open to getting divorced. - Correct. It was the mindset of the people that caused the divorce and living together before marriage was not exactly the main cause.

B. In some countries the divorce rate has steadily decreased over the past 30 years. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

C. Couples who live together before getting married have an opportunity to learn to work together as a team before they get married. - Incorrect. Out of focus. This option talks about the events before marriage.

D. For preventing divorce, there is no substitute for having good communication skills. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

E. For many couples who live together before getting married, marriage itself does not result in significant changes to their lifestyles. - Incorrect. May be it was not the change in lifestyle, but something else may have caused the divorce. Still the conclusion that living together before marriage is most likely to cause divorce is not weakened.

Answer: A

Kudos [?]: 1107 [1], given: 884

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 866 [1], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 04:01
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
one minute 17 seconds

Data: Surveys of couples have shown that those who live together before getting married are more likely to get divorced. Opinion: living together before marriage is one of the causes of divorce.

A coincidence need not be a cause for the result.

Which of the following, if true, is most damaging to the relationship advisor’s conclusion?

A. In comparison with more conservative minded people, more liberal minded people tend to be more open to living together before marriage and more open to getting divorced............................so its the mindset that results in divorce and living together is just coincidence not reason.

B. In some countries the divorce rate has steadily decreased over the past 30 years...............not related the cause of divorce. OFS

C. Couples who live together before getting married have an opportunity to learn to work together as a team before they get married..............we are not concerned about team work capability here. OFS

D. For preventing divorce, there is no substitute for having good communication skills................we are finding causes not solutions OFS

E. For many couples who live together before getting married, marriage itself does not result in significant changes to their lifestyles....................we have no info that No change in lifestyle results in divorce. Does not help.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 866 [1], given: 75

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

Schools: IIMA , IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 02:37
A. In comparison with more conservative minded people, more liberal minded people tend to be more open to living together before marriage and more open to getting divorced. Correct

B. In some countries the divorce rate has steadily decreased over the past 30 years not related the cause of divorce. Incorrect

C. Couples who live together before getting married have an opportunity to learn to work together as a team before they get married we are not concerned about team work capability here. Incorrect

D. For preventing divorce, there is no substitute for having good communication skills we are finding causes not solutions Incorrect

E. For many couples who live together before getting married, marriage itself does not result in significant changes to their lifestyles we have no information about number change in lifestyle results in divorce. Incorrect

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need.

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
-Swami Vivekananda

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 221 [1], given: 19

Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The statistics on correct and incorrect choices on this question tend to highlight something: Rush and get crushed.

At the moment, the average time to correct answers to this question is 2:20, and the average time to incorrect answers is 1:18.

While spending on every CR question the full 1:48 available on average per question in the verbal section may not always make sense. spending 1:18 on a CR question that is rated 700 level may not make sense either.

You have to take the time to notice key details and logic, and be careful not to quickly pick the first choice that looks as if it makes sense.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 22:00
If two things are happening one after another - that doesn't mean the prior is causing the later.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 182

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 01:38
Advisor's conclusion is that living together before marriage is ONE of the causes of divorce, NOT the ONLY/MAIN cause of divorce. There may be thousands of causes of divorce; living together before marriage is one of them. So, to damage this conclusion, we need to show that living together before marriage is NOT the cause of divorce at all.

In OA, it seems to imply that individual's mindset is the cause of divorce. It may be. But, it does not mean that living together before marriage may NOT be the cause of divorce at all. So, how does it damage the Advisor's conclusion?

Need help to get out of it.

Hasan Mahmud

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mahmud6 wrote:
Advisor's conclusion is that living together before marriage is ONE of the causes of divorce, NOT the ONLY/MAIN cause of divorce. There may be thousands of causes of divorce; living together before marriage is one of them. So, to damage this conclusion, we need to show that living together before marriage is NOT the cause of divorce at all.

In OA, it seems to imply that individual's mindset is the cause of divorce. It may be. But, it does not mean that living together before marriage may NOT be the cause of divorce at all. So, how does it damage the Advisor's conclusion?

Need help to get out of it.

The OA to a Weaken question doesn't have to destroy the argument. It has just to weaken it.

In this question, the conclusion is that living together causes divorce.

All an answer has to do in order to be correct is to weaken that conclusion.

The OA weakens the conclusion by providing reason to believe that an alternate cause and effect relationship, one in which living together before marriage is correlated with divorce but does not cause divorce, is the one that actually underlies the observed pattern. In this alternate cause and effect relationship, the connection between living together and divorce is mindset, which underlies both living together before marriage and divorce.

By bringing up a fairly compelling reason to believe that living together before marriage is correlated with but does not cause divorce, the OA calls the conclusion of the argument into question, and in so doing satisfies the requirement necessary for qualifying it as a weakener.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 21:47
"The OA to a Weaken question doesn't have to destroy the argument. It has just to weaken it." Very good saying.

Understood your point. +1 Kudos

Hasan Mahmud

Re: Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2017, 21:47

Relationship Advisor: When people ask me about causes of divorce, I

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap