Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Increase Verbal score from late 20's to late 30's (28 to 38)! [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi samratpahwa,

Although you have shown steady improvement in your GMAT score, you will still need to advance your verbal and quant knowledge to hit your 680+ score goal. Since verbal is your weakest topic you may consider focusing the the majority of your study efforts on that section. To further your verbal skills, strive for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next. Have you been able to study in this way?

Focus on learning one section at a time: reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. For example, when learning about critical reasoning, you want to be able to learn about all aspects of critical reasoning: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within that topic. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

Since your quant score is pretty strong, you may consider slightly altering the above approach and do more focused practice. For example, if you are practicing Number Properties you want to make sure that you can practice a variety of questions from that topic: LCM, GCF, prime factors, divisibility, remainders, etc. The results of that practice will help you to determine how well you have mastered that topic and to determine your remaining weaknesses within that topic.

If you would like some help determining your quant strengths and weaknesses, I welcome you to take my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you will be provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of GMAT quant topics, as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

Lastly, after you feel like you have improved your verbal, resume taking practice exams. Unless you have already exhausted them, take practice exams from MBA.com.

If you have any further thoughts or concerns, feel free to follow up here or reach out to me directly.

Hello ScottTargetTestPrep,

First of all, thank you for reviewing my profile and sharing your valuable insights. Though I cant agree with you more, the idea of revisiting the concepts from the same old material has not helped me a great deal. I have exhausted most of my prep material, including OG, Verbal/Quant Review books and Manhattan CATs.

Now, the two-fold challenge is to maintain/marginally increase the performance in Quants and increase the Verbal score to attain the desired 680+ score. The resolution lies in taking up some new study material that propels me to a vantage point for each section.

Today, I would take up the Diagnostic Test suggested by you and share the results by the second half of the day.

Again, thanks for your insights. Your perspectives are valuable suggestions that I would weave in my study plan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi samratpahwa,

You've made some nice improvements so far. To earn that next bump up in score though, you're going to have to make some fundamental changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Before we can talk about those specific changes, it would help if you could provide a bit more information about your goals:

1) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hello Rich,
Glad to hear from you!
Though, it may look like a 100 point increase, I do not adore my current level of GMAT score. Based on my GMAT Prep test scores, that hovered at 640 levels, my minimum expectation was at least 650 and a aspired score of 680+. This thought has backed my idea to retake the exam. Considering that I aim for the 2017 intake, I wish to retake the Exam by Mid-October.

Though I have short-listed a few programs, that include the R2 deadlines of Tepper, Rice, Nanyang, SP Jain, I have not started the applications and networking with the schools and alumni.
I would grateful if you share your insights about my plan and deadlines.

Thank you for taking out time to review my post.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi samratpahwa,

Since you have a recent Official GMAT Score, we have a basis for comparison. Raising a 610 to a 680+ in about a month is possible (although it will be challenging since you would essentially have to improve in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections), but you would likely have a much better chance of achieving that goal if you had 2 months of available study time. However, if you'd be satisfied with a 650+, then everything becomes a bit easier to accomplish in the given timeframe. Thus, we have to start with that one goal - what is the minimum GMAT score that you would be satisfied with (meaning that you would stop studying and apply to Business School with that score)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot