GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Seeking Advice - Former Reporter Career Change

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Seeking Advice - Former Reporter Career Change  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 11:54
Hey everyone,

After browsing these topics for a few weeks I decided to see if I might be able to garner some insight or opinions as I am taking the GMAT tomorrow in hopes of getting my MBA and making a career change.

A little about me. I'm 32 and spent the last 9 years working as a TV news anchor and reporter. I was good at it, but was tired of the bad pay and worse schedule. I started working at a large state university in the Northeast six months ago in a marketing and communications role. One perk is I can get a free MBA, minus the cost of books. It's a solid program, top 100, but certainly not an elite business school by any means and I will be doing the program part-time rather than full-time. The chance to do this for free and continue to receive a full-time salary is too much for me to pass up to go elsewhere full-time from a financial standpoint.

My question is, how realistic is a career change into either marketing or consulting given my background? I actually interviewed with a boutique management consulting firm in the Philadelphia area prior to taking this university job, for a role as a presentation and communications consultant given my TV background. It got me very interested in the field, but I felt an MBA would serve me well were I to make the switch. I've seen a few instances of journalists making successful transitions into consulting, can a part-time MBA help me do that?

I'm open to any and all opinions and happy to answer any additional questions about my background to provide context. Thanks in advance for taking the time!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Seeking Advice - Former Reporter Career Change  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 10:30
jwhelan1 wrote:
Hey everyone,

After browsing these topics for a few weeks I decided to see if I might be able to garner some insight or opinions as I am taking the GMAT tomorrow in hopes of getting my MBA and making a career change.

A little about me. I'm 32 and spent the last 9 years working as a TV news anchor and reporter. I was good at it, but was tired of the bad pay and worse schedule. I started working at a large state university in the Northeast six months ago in a marketing and communications role. One perk is I can get a free MBA, minus the cost of books. It's a solid program, top 100, but certainly not an elite business school by any means and I will be doing the program part-time rather than full-time. The chance to do this for free and continue to receive a full-time salary is too much for me to pass up to go elsewhere full-time from a financial standpoint.

My question is, how realistic is a career change into either marketing or consulting given my background? I actually interviewed with a boutique management consulting firm in the Philadelphia area prior to taking this university job, for a role as a presentation and communications consultant given my TV background. It got me very interested in the field, but I felt an MBA would serve me well were I to make the switch. I've seen a few instances of journalists making successful transitions into consulting, can a part-time MBA help me do that?

I'm open to any and all opinions and happy to answer any additional questions about my background to provide context. Thanks in advance for taking the time!

Hi, MBA always gives you advantage to shift your career, but yu need to select the schools carefully. Top B-Schools always have added advantage with thier brand name. They treat you as a diversified profile with a good GMAT score, LORs and Essays. All the best.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 09:32
Welcome to GMAT Club jwhelan1!

Schools are suckers for exotic profiles, so I think you have a great opportunity to leverage that, esp if you are good with story telling.
At the same time, your age is a bit high (no offense but the MBA programs start scrutinizing people after 30 with a greater deal of scrutiny for the Top 10 programs and somewhat to the Top 20.

I think you can absolutely pull it off and successfully transition into consulting but it is tricky at older age as you won't fit the usual 27-year old mold.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 10:48
Thanks so much for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Certainly no offense taken, I know I'll be a little bit older than the typical individual looking to move into consulting. What would you recommend given that fact and given that I'll be pursuing the MBA part-time while working full-time. My thought was aggressive networking will be necessary. I also planned on utilizing the ample vacation time I get in my current job to perhaps seek out a mini-internship at local firms, offering to job shadow or intern for a week. I know it isn't quite the same, but I figure it can't hurt. Any thoughts in that regard?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Seeking Advice - Former Reporter Career Change   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2019, 10:48

Seeking Advice - Former Reporter Career Change

new topic post reply Update application status