GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Seeking advice, Please help!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retake   

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Seeking advice, Please help!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:05
Hello,

I am finally done submitting all apps during R2. Thought I would be relaxed, but this GMAT thing is still all over my nerves and I have been spending hours reading advises and stories on retaking.

I have had two GMAT attempts with scores: GMAT# 1: 690 (Q51, V31) and GMAT# 2: 710 (Q49, V36). I had to suffer two points drop in quant as I had largely focused on verbal.

Schools I have applied during R2: Fuqua, McCombs, Johnson, HEC Paris, INSEAD

School admitted: Simon Business (50% tuition with potential of full ride). Keeping this as a back up.

Quick background: Indian, male, IIT undergrad and masters from a Canadian univ, >3.6 GPAs, very strong international exposure (more than 6 years in Canada and 3 months in Europe), average extra currics (no elected positions) but strong community service, strong work ex (2 promotions) and strong recos.

Now that you know I am from an over-represented pool, I have been thinking about third attempt. I am still hopeful to secure admits from the schools mentioned, but I guess scholarships will be much harder as I understand GMAT score plays a significant role on that front. I would have loved to attend any of those R2 schools with scholarships, except HEC which I consider a back up. I hope to work for few more years in USA/Canada after MBA, which is why I was more inclined towards US schools that put me in even more difficult situation to secure scholarships. If you are wondering why am I too much focused on scholarships, I will soon be married and have a family to support. I wouldn't want to start a family with $200k debt so scholarships will go a long way to make a decision.

Would you guys recommend a retake now or should I wait until I hear back from schools? If I wait until decision, would I have enough time to prepare, considering that I am an international student and have to go through visa process as well?

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you.
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Seeking advice, Please help!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 06:03
Hi gmatenthureturns,

First off, great job with the 690 and 710. Out of curiosity, how were you scoring on your practice exams?

Regarding next steps, if you think a higher GMAT score will help you with scholarship opportunities, then it would make sense to keep studying and retake the GMAT. That being said, have you reached out to the folks in admissions at your desired schools to determine whether they’d accept another GMAT score?

If you do decide to retake the GMAT, feel free to reach back out, and I can provide some advice regarding your study plan.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 14:40
Hello Scott,

Thank you for your response. I always scored around 700 +/- 10 during mocks so no surprises in actual thing. Though I had to really start at the bottom as I had no formal training in English language so grammar skills were almost non existent, which makes me think there's still room for improvement on verbal. Prior to my attempts, I had subscribed to egmat verbal course, and used OG18 for my preparation. I am now considering to buy one of the courses that guarantee improvement or refund, which will really help minimizing any financial risks.

I haven't had a chance to inquire with schools about submitting updated scores as I believe schools are always open to higher GMAT scores, even after a decision is made, isn't it?

In case you can share any other advise or strategies on retake, I will be glad to hear.

Thank you! .
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 18:22
Hi gmatenthureturns,

Since there is no guarantee that a school will accept a new GMAT score after your application deadline, you should first reach out to the folks in admissions to gain some clarity regarding your GMAT. After all, it would be quite a waste to take the GMAT again if you could not use the score, right? I’m more than happy to share some retake strategies, but let’s first make sure that you should be retaking the GMAT, OK?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Seeking advice, Please help!!!   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2019, 18:22

Seeking advice, Please help!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap