It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1120 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2010, 09:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
B

Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.

A. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected - usually, a modifier phase in the first part of the sentence must be followed by the main clause. This is not the case. It's ackward.
B. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected - correct structure: subordinate phrase + main clause.
C. It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting - ackward
D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected - which refers to New York
E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting - there is not a main clause (s+v+o)

I think I deserve kudos! :-D LOL

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Last edited by metallicafan on 10 Aug 2010, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1120 [0], given: 109

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2011, 02:33
It was between option (A) and (B).

Option (B) looks the best though "or" might bring some confusion

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2011, 05:48
Hey guys ,

I was wondering whether you could approach this type of question by eliminating answers C + D + E based on the fact that they don't start with the adverb " seldom " and therefore not idiomatic. I then eliminated A based on the " but it ran" which is illogical.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2011, 07:24
what about the difference between 'and' / 'or' here? is that not taken in account.

B looks the most appropriate answer. But what about the use of 'or' instead of the original 'and', if its appropriate?
Can someone explain this.

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2090 [1], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2011, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
agdimple333 wrote:
what about the difference between 'and' / 'or' here? is that not taken in account.

B looks the most appropriate answer. But what about the use of 'or' instead of the original 'and', if its appropriate?
Can someone explain this.

Your argument is perfectly valid. They both convey different meaning.

Usage of OR means: The canal is rarely 12 ft deep OR 40 ft wide. e.g. 90% of the places the canal is less than 12 ft deep and 90% of the places the canal is less than 40 ft wide. Maybe they are never 12ft deep and 40ft wide at the same place.

Usage of AND means: 10% of the time they are BOTH 12 ft deep and 40 ft wide, and 90% of the time these conditions are not satisfied simultaneously.

Despite conveying different meanings, both the usages are considered grammatically correct.

But, we actually don't know what the author really wanted to say because the entire portion was UNDERLINED. Thus, we must consider other indicators to prove the statement wrong.

Considering all grammatical indicators and errors, we eliminated everything but "B".

If we had the following two statements as the options, it would be ambiguous.

Seldom more than 40 feet wide OR 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

OR

Seldom more than 40 feet wide AND 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2090 [1], given: 376

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2011, 18:29
I picked E, based on and/or. I thought the author wants and not or.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Schools: Ohio State University

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2011, 02:51
why A is wrong? Is it because the wrong position of "it"? So we can only put "it" after it's logical subject,right? And it's absolutely wrong to put "it" before it's logical subject? Please help..

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2011, 14:44
826goodluck wrote:
why A is wrong? Is it because the wrong position of "it"? So we can only put "it" after it's logical subject,right? And it's absolutely wrong to put "it" before it's logical subject? Please help..

following reasons -

A. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
B. Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

1) 'it' is ambiguous
2) use of past tense 'ran' in 'A' mean that Eric canal doesnt exist any more.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 04:53
B looks better then any other choices

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 07:04
agdimple333 wrote:
826goodluck wrote:

following reasons -

A. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
B. Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

1) 'it' is ambiguous
2) use of past tense 'ran' in 'A' mean that Eric canal doesnt exist any more.

More than this, comma followed by a but construction expects two independent clauses, and an independent clause should have a subject and a verb. In this sentence the modifier beginning with "seldom..." does not have a verb.
Furthermore, The modifier starting with "seldom.." can not modify "but", so this is really a dangling modifier.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 09:20
rphardu wrote:
johnycute wrote:
Seldom more that 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.

1. No clear refferent for "it" 2. "Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep" can not modify but 3. Ran is not the correct tense as canal exist now also.
Looks okay
C. It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting
1. No clear referrent for "it" 2. "ran is not correct tense" 3. There is no verb for connecting. "Erice canal, connecting..."
D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected
1.Ran is not correct tense. 2. Which is referring here to New york, New york does not connect anything.
E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting
"After removing all modifier sentence will look like "The Erie Canal, connecting...." which is not complete sentence.".

To all pointing out "ran" for the tense, how do you know river exists now?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Seldom more that 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2012, 16:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Seldom more that 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.

C. It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting
D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected
E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

I chose E, because I thought "running.....connecting" parallel to the "providing...." :(

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 664 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Seldom more that 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 3 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2012, 00:42
tingting85114 wrote:

I chose E, because I thought "running.....connecting" parallel to the "providing...." :(

E is incorrect becuase its a fragment. remove modifier and E is left with:
The Erie Canal connecting X to Y.

Correct ans is B.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2012, 00:47
Vips0000 wrote:
tingting85114 wrote:

Correct ans is B.

Hi Vips,

I agree with the explanation :)

But as per the original choice "Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep" but as per the option B it changes this phrase to "Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep"

I think this is changing the intended meaning of the sentence.

Pls correct me if i'm missing some pt

Thanks
Jatin

Director
Director

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2012, 04:04
jsahni123 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
tingting85114 wrote:

Correct ans is B.

Hi Vips,

But as per the original choice "Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep" but as per the option B it changes this phrase to "Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep"

Thanks
Jatin

Hi jatin,

Judging intended meaning can be tricky. For one,we don't know what person,who designed the question, intended. Meaning is important, intention is not. Secondly, intented meaning elimination should be done only when both sentences are grammatically correct.
Hope it answers ur question, :)

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern

WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2012, 04:46
Hi Vips,

Thanks
Jatin[/quote]
Hi jatin,

Judging intended meaning can be tricky. For one,we don't know what person,who designed the question, intended. Meaning is important, intention is not. Secondly, intented meaning elimination should be done only when both sentences are grammatically correct.
Hope it answers ur question, :)[/quote]

Hi Vips,

I mean as per the original sentence the phrase
"Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep" conveys the meaning that any pt if we check the dimensions of the canal it will not be more than 40 ft wide and 12 ft deep.

But as per the option B, the phrase "Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep" seems to convey that if we check the dimensions of the canal it will be either not more than 40 ft wide or 12 ft deep.

Pls correct me if i'm misintrepting here.

Also i more than agree with you here that A is not correct,having error of ||'ism.

Thanks
Jatin

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 562

GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2012, 21:16
OG explanation speaks about logical connector and / or/ but.

Please throw some light on the correct usage of logical connectors.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 562

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 06:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8738 [10], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NewKid123 wrote:

Dear NewKid123
I'm happy to help with this one. :-) I like this question. What's the source?

(A) we have a modifier "seldom more than ..." in parallel with an independent clause "it ran ....", a failure of parallelism. Then, we get a run-on sentence --- two independent clauses separated only by a comma. See:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences
This choice is incorrect.

(B) [modifier] "but" [modifier], [subject][verb] .... all correct. This is promising.

(C) "It was ..." (independent clause), "and ran" (verb in parallel, so far, so good), "but the Erie canal" [modifier][modifier]
This is a failure of parallelism --- after that comma and "but", we need either a full verb or a complete independent clause, and we get neither. For more on parallelism, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/parallelis ... orrection/
This is incorrect.

(D) Misplaced modifier!! A classic mistake!! "... the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo ..." The canal did that connecting, not the wilderness of upstate NY. The canal is the intended modifier, but the modifier is nowhere near the canal. This is a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule --- see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

(E) The missing verb mistake!! Another oldie but goodie!! This choice has modifier after modifier --- it has a perfectly good subject, "The Erie Canal" at the beginning, but this subject has absolutely no verb. There is no full verb anywhere in the sentence, only participial modifiers. See
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/914-the ... rb-mistake

Thus, the only completely correct choice, and hence the only possible answer, is (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8738 [10], given: 105

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
NewKid123 wrote:

Dear NewKid123
I'm happy to help with this one. :-) I like this question. What's the source?

(A) we have a modifier "seldom more than ..." in parallel with an independent clause "it ran ....", a failure of parallelism. Then, we get a run-on sentence --- two independent clauses separated only by a comma. See:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences
This choice is incorrect.

(B) [modifier] "but" [modifier], [subject][verb] .... all correct. This is promising.

(C) "It was ..." (independent clause), "and ran" (verb in parallel, so far, so good), "but the Erie canal" [modifier][modifier]
This is a failure of parallelism --- after that comma and "but", we need either a full verb or a complete independent clause, and we get neither. For more on parallelism, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/parallelis ... orrection/
This is incorrect.

(D) Misplaced modifier!! A classic mistake!! "... the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo ..." The canal did that connecting, not the wilderness of upstate NY. The canal is the intended modifier, but the modifier is nowhere near the canal. This is a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule --- see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

(E) The missing verb mistake!! Another oldie but goodie!! This choice has modifier after modifier --- it has a perfectly good subject, "The Erie Canal" at the beginning, but this subject has absolutely no verb. There is no full verb anywhere in the sentence, only participial modifiers. See
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/914-the ... rb-mistake

Thus, the only completely correct choice, and hence the only possible answer, is (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi, I chose B as my answer but later realised that B changes the meaning. In the original sentence the canal is 40ft wide and 12ft deep, but in B the canal is 40ft wide or 12ft wide? Isnt this supposed to be a deal breaker since the meaning changed?

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 118

Re: Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2013, 23:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 75 posts ] 

Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap