Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Should I concentrate on GMAT score or 3 month work experience ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
i agree with the above make sure you are eligible, assuming eligibility then your GMAT will probably be more important. I doubt you will be able to make a significant impact in 2-3 months to support your application anyways
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Should I concentrate on GMAT score or 3 month work experience ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
blackhearts27 wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to apply for masters (msc) management in Canada and I'll take my GMAT exam in Oct/Nov, since most of the deadlines are in January. I'm planning for 1st tier universities.

My profile is as follows :
I've just completed my BBA (H) (4 yrs) with a CGPA of 3.2/4 . I've been to China on scholarship exchange program for a semester. Did 2 internships, 2 months each. I've done Olevels and Alevels.

Now I want to ask should I do any job for 3-4 months or should I concentrate on my GMAT prep, and what GMAT score would be appropriate?
TIA :)

Hi blackhearts27 ,
I think that the GMAT score is going to help you more than anything. I also think that this may be your first lesson in multitasking and you may need to do a little of both

Welcome to GMAT Club. :)

You need to first check whether the universities you are applying to need any experience.

If they take freshers also, then I believe you should devote your full time to GMAT Preparation because anyways 3-4 months is not going to impact at all.

If they say experience is required, then you must look for 2-3 years of experience.

Moral of the story : 3 months experience = 0 experience. Hence, prepare hard to get a great GMAT Score. :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Coaching
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
730+ GMAT and you can walk into any of the following pre-work ex Masters in Finance programs. 3 months work-ex means nothing to ADCOMs.

https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... ience-2016
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Should I concentrate on GMAT score or 3 month work experience ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You need to analyze your overall profile to gauge your chances of getting into a tier-1 MiM program.

You CGPA is lower than what’s expected in the competition, but you can compensate for by your work experience, extra-curriculars and any special recognition that you may have received.

An exchange program to China definitely adds value to your profile, so make sure that you highlight the competencies you gained via this global exposure.

You have mentioned that you have done 2 internships, but you have not stated the company names. Remember,a global brand name like Google,McKinsey,Accenture,etc.adds more value to your profile.

MiM is branded as a pre-experience degree, but almost every B-school encourages applicants to have a little work-experience ranging from 3 months to a year.

Since you have explicitly mentioned that you want to aim for Tier-1 MiM programs, building on your work experience (Especially with globally renowned brands) will definitely give you brownie points.
It is your personal call whether or not to take a preparation break for GMAT.

The expected GMAT for Tier-1 programs is around 650+, which is fairly achievable while working full-time. (The average time to achieve a score like this is around 3 months.)
However, you are the best judge of your capacity so do a thorough analysis of your timelines before you make a call.

As you want to take up an MiM program in canada, it is a good idea to read about its prospects here: https://www.mim-essay.com/review/masters ... in-canada/

It will give you a concrete idea on the top canadian B-Schools, average fees, living costs and post-study work opportunities.
GMAT Club Bot
Should I concentrate on GMAT score or 3 month work experience ? [#permalink]