GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should I retake my GMAT (cliche question alert!)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Should I retake my GMAT (cliche question alert!)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 07:34
Edit:
Hello fellow GMAT'ers

Seeking some advice after completing attempt 1 of my GMAT today. Would appreciate any input.

My results were as follows - overall 740 (97 percentile), quantitative 49 (75 percentile), verbal 41 (94 percentile) and IR 4 (40 percentile). Overall this is broadly what I have been getting in practice papers (probably on the lower end of results) and IR is significantly down on previous attempts (usually 6-8). Overall I am happy with the 740 and unhappy with the IR score.

A bit of background on me. I am applying from UK and will only really consider a top-tier program as worth moving to the other side of the world. The 5 I am intending to apply to are Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia and Tuck (in that order of preference) so obviously going to be extremely challenging, especially for my top choices. Obviously the essay is a hugely important part and that my score definitely keeps me 'in the game' for the above colleges but I believe I could do better (especially in IR) and I still have ample time to focus on the essays irrespective of this decision. As I see it, I have 3 choices:

1. Accept my score.
2. Cancel my score, resit and if I score better than current score I take it and run. If not, I call it a day and reinstate this score and apply using it.
3. Keep my current score as live, resit and if better I have a good story that I improved on an already good score and received a better IR score. If not, then cancel attempt 2 and apply with my 740.

Keen to get peoples thoughts on how detrimental my IR score is and which choice people would advise. I know I should be happy with the 740, I just have a nagging feeling that I should at least give a resit a go to see if I can do better.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Should I retake my GMAT (cliche question alert!)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 10:39
GMATAttack123 wrote:
Hello fellow GMAT'ers

Seeking some advice after completing attempt 1 of my GMAT today. Would appreciate any input.

My results were as follows - overall 740 (97 percentile), quantitative 49 (75 percentile), verbal 41 (94 percentile) and IR 4 (40 percentile). Overall this is broadly what I have been getting in practice papers (probably on the lower end of results) and IR is significantly down on previous attempts (usually 6-8). Overall I am happy with the 740 and unhappy with the IR score.

A bit of background on me. I am applying from UK and will only really consider a top-tier program as worth moving to the other side of the world. The 5 I am intending to apply to are Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia and Tuck (in that order of preference) so obviously going to be extremely challenging, especially for my top choices. Obviously the essay is a hugely important part and that my score definitely keeps me 'in the game' for the above colleges but I believe I could do better (especially in IR) and I still have ample time to focus on the essays irrespective of this decision. As I see it, I have 3 choices:

1. Accept my score.
2. Cancel my score, resit and if I score better than current score I take it and run. If not, I call it a day and reinstate this score and apply using it.
3. Keep my current score as live, resit and if better I have a good story that I improved on an already good score and received a better IR score. If not, then cancel attempt 2 and apply with my 740.

Keen to get peoples thoughts on how detrimental my IR score is and which choice people would advise. I know I should be happy with the 740, I just have a nagging feeling that I should at least give a resit a go to see if I can do better.
It doesn't really make sense to cancel your 740, because 740 is an excellent score. A 4 on IR won't change anyone's opinion about your capabilities. That said, the "safest" option is the second one. If I were you, I'd go with the third.
Re: Should I retake my GMAT (cliche question alert!)   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2017, 10:39

Should I retake my GMAT (cliche question alert!)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap