GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Sonya: Anyone who lives without constant awareness of the fragility an

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Sonya: Anyone who lives without constant awareness of the fragility an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 22:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:23) correct 53% (02:17) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sonya: Anyone who lives without constant awareness of the fragility and precariousness of human life has a mind clouded by illusion. Yet those people who are perpetually cognizant of the fragility and precariousness of human life surely taint their emotional outlook on existence.

Sonya’s statements, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?

(A) Anyone who places a higher priority on maintaining a positive emotional outlook than on dispelling illusion will be completely unaware of the fragility and precariousness of human life.
(B) Either no one has a tainted emotional outlook on existence, or no one has a mind clouded by illusion.
(C) It is impossible for anyone to live without some degree of self-deception.
(D) Everyone whose emotional outlook on existence is untainted has a mind clouded by illusion.
(E) It is better to be aware of the fragility and precariousness of human life than to have an untainted emotional outlook on existence.

Source : LSAT PrepTest 50 Q#15

The stimulus of this inference question boils down to two statements:

No constant awareness --> clouded mind
Constant awareness --> tainted emotion

Pretty bleak!

We can combine these statements by using the contrapositive of the second one:

Not tainted emotions --> Not constant awareness --> clouded mind

And that's what (D) is based upon.

(A) is out of scope - we're not interested in folks' priorities.

(B) is tempting, however the stimulus doesn't suggest that everyone is in one group or another. There's no reason to believe that some people could have constant awareness while others don't.

(C) is out of scope - self-deception? Tempting if you though a mind clouded by illusion is a case of self-deception. But even if that were true, couldn't there be some folks that have constant awareness and thus none of this illusion/self-deception?

(E) is about what's better? No opinions in the stimulus, no opinion in any inference.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re: Sonya: Anyone who lives without constant awareness of the fragility an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 21:31
I believe this one can be tackled using some cause and effect diagramming and the principle of contrapositive.

The principle states if "cause" causes the "Effect" or in other words C --> E, then the only inference that you can make in Not E --> Not C. This is called the contrapositive.

Now in this question, I diagrammed it in this manner:

#1) No awareness --> Illusion
#2) Too much awareness --> Tainted emotions

Take contrapositive of #2, No emotions --> No awareness --> Illusion.

This is exactly what choice D says.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Sonya: Anyone who lives without constant awareness of the fragility an  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 19:36
mostasha wrote:
I believe this one can be tackled using some cause and effect diagramming and the principle of contrapositive.

The principle states if "cause" causes the "Effect" or in other words C --> E, then the only inference that you can make in Not E --> Not C. This is called the contrapositive.

Now in this question, I diagrammed it in this manner:

#1) No awareness --> Illusion
#2) Too much awareness --> Tainted emotions

Take contrapositive of #2, No emotions --> No awareness --> Illusion.

This is exactly what choice D says.

Thanks mostasha!

I think you clearly understand what's going on here, but I'd like to use this opportunity to point out the pitfalls that can arise when diagramming a sentence: namely, losing key details in the process. For example, I'd replace "No awareness" in step #1 with "No CONSTANT awareness." That little word "constant" entirely changes the meaning. The passage says that if you don't live with constant awareness, then your mind will be clouded by illusion. So even someone with SOME awareness would still have a mind clouded by illusion to some degree. Living with a constant awareness is NECESSARY if you don't want to have a mind clouded by illusion. Living WITHOUT constant awareness is SUFFICIENT for having a mind clouded by illusion. (And we'll say much more about this necessary vs. sufficient business in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

Similarly, the passage does not say that "too much awareness" causes a tainted emotional outlook; rather, the passage says that having CONSTANT awareness (or being "perpetually cognizant") will lead to a tainted emotional outlook. So what if someone is OFTEN cognizant of the fragility and precariousness of human life? Will that person have a tainted emotional outlook? We can't be sure, based on the information in the passage. We only know that being CONSTANTLY cognizant will cause a tainted emotional outlook.

To summarize...

• If you have a constant awareness, you will have a tainted emotional outlook, but your mind will not be clouded by illusion.
  • If you do NOT have a constant awareness, your mind WILL be clouded by illusion, but you may not have a tainted emotional outlook.

Quote:
(D) Everyone whose emotional outlook on existence is untainted has a mind clouded by illusion.

Referring to the first bullet point, anyone with a constant awareness WILL have a tainted emotional outlook. Thus, anyone WITHOUT a tainted emotional outlook must NOT have a constant awareness. If you do not have a constant awareness, then, referring to the second bullet point, your mind will be clouded by illusion.

Choice (D) is the clear answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 11:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sonya: Anyone who lives without constant awareness of the fragility an &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 11:51

Sonya: Anyone who lives without constant awareness of the fragility an

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap