It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategy to boost a 650 diagnostic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Strategy to boost a 650 diagnostic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hiya all,

I've been perusing this forum for a little while, but this is the first time I've actually posted--so hello!

I took a Veritas Prep practice test a couple of days ago and scored a 650 (40q 39v). I was expecting a bit lower of a diagnostic score, so I was pleasantly surprised (especially considering how rusty everything felt). That being said, my GMAT score goal is a 720+

I'm a lot weaker on the quant section than I am on the verbal, so I figure it would be best to devote the most time to that section. I'd really like to get a 48-49 on the quant section and get a 40-41 verbal score. I'm not quite sure how feasible this is, but I'm willing to put in a lot of work to review.

I'm not particularly looking to break the bank (as I am fresh out of undergrad and have no money), but I have ordered (1) GMAT official guide 2018 bundle, (2) Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook, and (3) GMAT Advanced Quant (Manhattan Prep).

I was also considering purchasing a 3-month subscription to the Math Revolution course for $152.

If anybody has any advice for me as to what courses or strategies he/she found most helpful, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 29

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: Strategy to boost a 650 diagnostic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
MyNameIsJoe1 wrote:
Hiya all,

I've been perusing this forum for a little while, but this is the first time I've actually posted--so hello!

I took a Veritas Prep practice test a couple of days ago and scored a 650 (40q 39v). I was expecting a bit lower of a diagnostic score, so I was pleasantly surprised (especially considering how rusty everything felt). That being said, my GMAT score goal is a 720+

I'm a lot weaker on the quant section than I am on the verbal, so I figure it would be best to devote the most time to that section. I'd really like to get a 48-49 on the quant section and get a 40-41 verbal score. I'm not quite sure how feasible this is, but I'm willing to put in a lot of work to review.

I'm not particularly looking to break the bank (as I am fresh out of undergrad and have no money), but I have ordered (1) GMAT official guide 2018 bundle, (2) Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook, and (3) GMAT Advanced Quant (Manhattan Prep).

I was also considering purchasing a 3-month subscription to the Math Revolution course for $152.

If anybody has any advice for me as to what courses or strategies he/she found most helpful, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!!

You and I have similar starting points (I got something around a 660 on my diagnostic, with something like a 36/44 split) -- I highly recommend the MGMAT prep books. They have all the information you need to bump you from the ~80th percentile into the 95th and beyond, and they're only ~$100 for the whole set on Amazon. Just go as slowly as you need through the content, making notes of things you need to memorize. After you've more or less mastered the question types, begin taking the practice CATs, attempting to stay as true to the real format as possible (whiteboard, limited breaks, IR and AWA with every test, etc.). Review your mistakes and weak points as needed (go back to the books). A word of warning -- they are markedly harder than the real thing, so once you're scoring within ~40 of your target score, take a 'real' GMAT practice test and see how you do. Chances are, you'll be into your desired range -- continue to take practice tests of all kinds and review up until your test date.

Best of luck!

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 29

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3410 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 20:34
Hi MyNameIsJoe1

A 650 is a fantastic initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). By extension, you're likely a naturally strong critical thinker. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and goals:

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 21:41
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MyNameIsJoe1

A 650 is a fantastic initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). By extension, you're likely a naturally strong critical thinker. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and goals:

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thanks, Rich.

1) December - January
2) Within the next 3-5 years
3) These will depend on my GMAT/ career development, but I would want to shoot for highly selective programs like Duke/ UChicago/Yale with Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton as reaches

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 22:02
Hi MyNameIsJoe1

Since you're not planning to take the Official GMAT for at least a few months, you have some 'flexibility' in terms of how you could approach your studies at this point. Given your interest in keeping your expenses low at this point, for free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time honing those 'math' skills, you could then focus on your GMAT studies.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Strategy to boost a 650 diagnostic   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 22:02

Strategy to boost a 650 diagnostic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap