Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [1]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Stuck on 550, can I get to 600 in 20 days ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Mate,

If your target is 600, I guess with your current preparation you can hit 600 score.
Just keep calm and attempt your test as you did in your last mocks.

For additional preparation, focus on your strong areas in Quant and verbal for next 20 days.
Best wishes.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
desertEagle wrote:
Poseidon2806 wrote:
Hello everyone, I took the GMAT for the second time in May and scored 550 (37Q, 29V) after prepping for almost 2 weeks. The first time I took it was during the end of March, and I had prepped during February and March using TTP ( I went through the whole quant course and did almost all the hard/medium quizzes and scored above the required accuracy level) and got a low score of 480 (37Q and 21 V).
For both attempts, I mainly worked with TTP (120hours in total if I remember correctly) and did all PS, SC, and CR questions from OG and review. and I did 70% DS questions OG and review) and 60% of RC.
After my first attempt, I stopped studying/hoping to get a 600 and then in May I booked it again on a whim and worked mostly on SC/CR My verbal score improved from 21 to 29 in a week's work (Only 2-3h per day and some days I didn't even work because I had university exams) and got 550. I need to get a 600 ( I am planning to resit on the 20th of July (can't push it back because the deadline is august and I want to leave enough time for a resit in august if I don't get the in July ) but have no idea how to improve.

I don't plan on taking any courses from companies, I already did 2 months of TTP and my Quant score did not improve after showing bright scores on their platform. I will mainly do PS questions from @Bunuel's directory per topic. I still haven't started to work on DS.
For the past 5 days, I started doing Bunuel's PS set by topic, I did 3 topics for now (my weak areas as per my ESR: Percent, ratio and some overlapping sets) I focused mainly on sub-600 level questions (40-50 questions per topic, accuracy 96%) and 600-700 questions (40-50 questions per topic, accuracy 71% overall. my accuracy is still low with percent problems, I am at 60% acc. for this difficulty level). I still need to rework my verbal because I haven't really done anything except 5-10 SC and 5-10 CR questions per day. If I re-use the OG I would mainly use it for Verbal (is it a good idea ? or should I re-do some quant OG/review questions (because the problem is that I still remember most of the questions from quant).
I still haven't done any 700+ level questions.

If anyone can give me some tips on how to improve in the days before my test I would really be grateful because with each mistake I lose more hope of improving (especially after working 600-700 level questions for percent problems and ending up with low accuracy).
About my availability I have a part-time student job, I work 2-3 days a week but I can manage to study for 3-4hours on those days. And on my days off I am willing to work more but don't know how much.

I am keeping an error log (as I always have) and after a correct answer I read the comments to see if I have the same approach, and if my answer is incorrect I try to understand why ( mainly my mistakes come from English to math interpretation as I am not a native and not used to math in English)

During my official mock my scores were the following:
First one before studying: official mock 1: 550 (Q45 and V21)

After studying:
Official mock 2: 620 (Q45 and V27)
Official mock 5: 620 (Q48 and V27)
Official mock 6: 640 (Q47 and V31)

Thank you for your time and help :)

I think you need to brush up on basics and then practice for at least 2 months to get over 700..

To learn basics you need 2 months study with at least 3 hrs per day
FOr SC you need to learn all the rules. Need at least 15 days.
For CR you need to learn a method to solve. need at least 15 days.
For RC you need to learn a good method. Need at least a months

For quants, you need to learn topics and methods. Need at least practice of two months.

Then you have to practice for at least 100 questions in each topic to get to a comfortable level.

Best of luck

Please do not try to force it. Doing lots of mocks wont help if you dont have command over basics.

I am not looking to get a 700, I am already admitted at my university and I need the 600 to just show that I can manage myself in English, as for the basics I think I have most of them, I am already got my Bachelor in economics and had done a lot of maths, I worked on my Quant weak areas for the past week and now I am almost at 600 questions (sub-600 and 600-700 level) for these topics: Arithmetic, Statistics/Sets, Percent problems, Fractions/ratios. Now I will start doing sequences, and remainders questions before switching to DS soon. I try to find a methodology for each type of question.
As for mocks, I am not forcing between my first and second mock, there's a month's gap and for the last two I took them on consecutive weekends.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yogananda wrote:
Hi Mate,

If your target is 600, I guess with your current preparation you can hit 600 score.
Just keep calm and attempt your test as you did in your last mocks.

For additional preparation, focus on your strong areas in Quant and verbal for next 20 days.
Best wishes.

Posted from my mobile device

Can you please give an estimate of how many questions in DS I should do? According to my ESR (550 real gmat), my PS score is 41 and as for DS 29 and I think that's what drove my score down to 37Q.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Poseidon2806,

How did things go with your GMAT retake?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stuck on 550, can I get to 600 in 20 days ? [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Poseidon2806,

How did things go with your GMAT retake?

I took it 3 days ago, I scored 560 (Q41 and V27), I was a bit stressed at the beginning of the exam and made 2 silly mistakes in quant. As for verbal I am quite at loss on how to improve it, I will be taking a resit on the 12th of August. Currently, I am going through Gmat Ninja SC videos and then will add OG exercises for all areas. To be honest I am losing hope of getting over that 600 wall :cry:
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM