It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

stuck on 650 GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

stuck on 650 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 11:37
I'm having an extremely frustrating experience with the GMAT as I haven't been able to improve my score from 650 (same score in 4 attempts)
I was however able to improve my GMAC mock exam scores with plenty of practice to 700+ (720, 710 and 750) all taken for the first time - never seen before questions.
this is largely due to my low quant score on real exams (37-40) range
Any tips? has anyone experienced this discrepancy between the official GMAC mock exams and real ones? everything I have seen on the discussion board indicates that test takers usually score higher on the real exam vs the GMAC mock exam and that they're the most accurate estimators of real scores.
the last two times I took it were very stressful as I was trying to improve my score in an attempt to come off the waitlist at Stern.
At this point I'm reaching the 5exam/12 month period limit and I'm afraid another failure in improving my score will impact my ability to retake the exam and improve my score for next year's application.

any feedback is appreciated.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 137

Schools: AGSM '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: stuck on 650 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 13:50
Hi akayali,

Have you ordered the ESR and analyzed where you are lacking in your preparation.

This seems strange since in the mocks if you have been able to score well, it should reflect similarly in the real scores also. My sense is that you are making more mistakes in the earlier section of the quant exam. Your ESR should be able to give you this insight. If thats the case, you need to tweak your strategy a bit. Try to allocate more time for first 25% of the questions vis-a-vis rest. This way, you should be able to increase your accuracy. However, be warned that the once you do it, you'll be seeing a lot more difficult section and with paucity of the time, you might start flustering due to an increasing pressure of performing under time constraints.

I would suggest to deeply introspect on your exam taking behavior and their might a gem or two of information available helping you to make corrections in your test taking style.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 137

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 14:13
Hi akayali,

When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 17:49
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi akayali,

When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich

1) I only took the math and verbal sections
2) I took them at a quiet cafe near home
3) i took them a few days prior
4) no breaks or pauses - the only difference was psychological, i cared less and spent less time on each question
5) they each were taken once

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 19:27
Hi akayali,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections during your CATs, you were taking shorter, easier Exams that required less effort. Thus, you weren't properly prepared for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' If you've been consistently taking your CATs in this way, then that would help to explain why you haven't scored above 650 on Test Day.

Beyond that point, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking multiple CATs right before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' and were too tired to perform at your best on Test Day.

Your post implies that you've taken the GMAT 4 times now. On what dates did you take each of these Official GMATs and what were your scores on each (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 03:49
Hi,

have you taken your GMAT? Still facing the same issue?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: stuck on 650 GMAT   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2017, 03:49

stuck on 650 GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap