Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [13]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [4]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments [#permalink]
Kudos
optmistic2016 wrote:
Thanks Vyshak for the great explanation.

Now this makes more sense - effect was not causing the cause.

I was looking at the literal meaning and no looking at what causes the effects and vice versa. Its a tricky question - Initially I thought this is negating the correct answer and will weaken the argument so i skipped it and move to next answer choice and saw all other are irrelevant so had to choose A (which I know will make the argument weaker but I thought thats the best available option).

What is the best way to tackle reverse cause and effect questions like this?

Hi,

Even the negation trick works here.

Stated General Truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students. (The argument relies on this stated truth)
Negate B: The decline in the GPA of the exchange student was the reason for the student's arguments with her parents. - If the decline in GPA actually caused the arguments then the argument break down.

Whenever there is a cause and effect relationship we should keep 3 things in mind in order to strengthen an argument:
1) Only the cause leads to the intended effect.
2) Effect does not happen before the cause or Effect does not cause the cause.
3) No other cause leads to the intended effect.

A possible weakener will be the opposite of the 3 stated points.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Re: Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments [#permalink]
Thank you for the tips - I would definitely remember them for future questions!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
using negation test the clear option comes out to be B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
optmistic2016 wrote:
Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments with her parents over the course of the past year. Not surprisingly, her grade point average (GPA) over the same period showed a steep decline. This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students.

The claim by the Student Advisor would be more properly drawn if which of the following were inserted into the argument as an additional premise?

A) Last year, the exchange student reduced the amount of time spent on academic work, resulting in a lower GPA.
B) The decline in the GPA of the exchange student was not the reason for the student's arguments with her parents.
C) School GPA is an accurate measure of a student's intellectual ability.
D) if proper measure are not taken, the decline in the student's academic performance may become irreversible.
E) Fluctuations in academic performance are typical for many students.

Reference: Manhattan Critical Reasoning - fail to understand the correct answer choice explanation.

Claim by student advisor: Problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students.
here the cause is Problematic family relationships
and the effect is significant academic difficulties for our students

we need to find an assumption that will make this linkage strong
In causal conclusion Assumption can be
when cause happens then the effect happens
effect does not cause the cause
here option B does the same (effect does not cause the cause)
hence B ans
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts