It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sunject verb agreement basics

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1134 [1], given: 100

Sunject verb agreement basics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 02:30
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:29) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 5 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hey... I am working on my basics of sub-verb agreement. Can someone explain the answers. Thanks!

1) Her partner and business associate, Jan Holder, distribute/ distributes the daily mail.

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
distributes

2) The staff is/are eating at their desks to make Tuesday's news deadline.

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
is

3) The group of store managers have/ has begun to arrive, one by one.

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
have

4) Both -- either a second or a subsequent call -- are/is considered to be a follow-up call.

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
are

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Kudos [?]: 1134 [1], given: 100

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 843 [2], given: 18

Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: Sunject verb agreement basics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
1. Only one person called JH is involved, so verb is singular. 'partner' and 'business associate' are only two attributes assigned to JH.

2. Collective nouns are singular, e.g. team, staff

3. This can be tricky. Normally for 'one of' constructions it always helps to see the context. 'one by one' means there are multiple entities, however we already have 'group' as singular. So the sentence is referring to people within the group.

4. 'both' is the subject...plural verb needed.

Kudos [?]: 843 [2], given: 18

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1134 [0], given: 100

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 03:55
For 1) "AND" signifies plural??
For 3)"of" is a middleman so we concentrate on "group" which iis singular...really didn't get this on!

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Kudos [?]: 1134 [0], given: 100

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 348 [1], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
For 3)"of" is a middleman so we concentrate on "group" which iis singular...really didn't get this on!

The “and” is part of the modifier which is not the main subject. The modifier modifies the main subject “Jan Holder”, who is singular. The verb associated to the main subject must also be singular then.

I haven’t contributed a lot to the SC forum so not sure if “middleman” is commonly used, but if you are referring to middleman in the way that MGMAT does than “of” is not a middleman here. The main subject is “group of managers”, not just “group”. I agree with Economists explanation above on why verb is plural but didn’t pick that up straightaway.

Kudos [?]: 348 [1], given: 20

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 345 [3], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:

AND is not used as a "additive phrase" in this sentence. Lets see why not:

Her partner and business associate, Jan Holder, [strike]distribute[/strike]/distributes the daily mail. - In this sentence, the part underlined plays a role of a modifier, which modifies the (singular) subject Jan Holder. Here word AND is not connecting two different subject, but is connecting two different qualities or roles of the singular subject Jan Holder. This is the reason we need to use singular form of the verb.

Now consider this example:
Her partner, Jan Holder and her business associate distribute/[strike]distributes[/strike] the daily mail. - Again, in this sentence, the part underlined plays a role of a modifier, which modifies the (singular) subject Jan Holder. But now word AND is connecting two different subjects, Jan Holder and one other business associate. This is the reason we need to use plural form of the verb.

tejal777 wrote:

As Economist has already said correctly in his previous post, the sentence is referring to people within the group. The subject of the sentence here is not the group itself, but the people of group who arrived one by one.
Lets rephrase the sentence to make is more clear.

Original sentence: The group of store managers have/has begun to arrive, one by one.
Rephrased sentence: One by one (the members of) the group of store managers have/[strike]has[/strike] begun to arrive. - The subject of the sentence here is clear now :). So we need to use plural form of the verb, have.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Kudos [?]: 345 [3], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2013, 00:26
hgp2k wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

AND is not used as a "additive phrase" in this sentence. Lets see why not:

Her partner and business associate, Jan Holder, distribute/distributes the daily mail. - In this sentence, the part underlined plays a role of a modifier, which modifies the (singular) subject Jan Holder. Here word AND is not connecting two different subject, but is connecting two different qualities or roles of the singular subject Jan Holder. This is the reason we need to use singular form of the verb.

Now consider this example:
Her partner, Jan Holder and her business associate distribute/distributes the daily mail. - Again, in this sentence, the part underlined plays a role of a modifier, which modifies the (singular) subject Jan Holder. But now word AND is connecting two different subjects, Jan Holder and one other business associate. This is the reason we need to use plural form of the verb.

tejal777 wrote:

As Economist has already said correctly in his previous post, the sentence is referring to people within the group. The subject of the sentence here is not the group itself, but the people of group who arrived one by one.
Lets rephrase the sentence to make is more clear.

Original sentence: The group of store managers have/has begun to arrive, one by one.
Rephrased sentence: One by one (the members of) the group of store managers have/has begun to arrive. - The subject of the sentence here is clear now :). So we need to use plural form of the verb, have.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

In the Second Question

" The staff is/are eating at their desks to make Tuesday's news deadline. "
Unquote

The Staff is singular. However the pronoun "their" is plural. So I believe, it will not be correct to conclude that "is" will be used.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 20:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Sunject verb agreement basics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 10:19
Can someone please explain why 3. is plural and not singular? I thought "Group" is a Collective Noun, for instance "Our army of a hundred thousand soldiers is attacking the enemy. BTW I have this example from the MGMAT Guide.

Thanks a lot.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 478

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 07:57
TheKern1337 wrote:
Can someone please explain why 3. is plural and not singular? I thought "Group" is a Collective Noun, for instance "Our army of a hundred thousand soldiers is attacking the enemy. BTW I have this example from the MGMAT Guide.

Thanks a lot.

Correct for question 3 answer should be singular " has ".

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 478

Re: Sunject verb agreement basics   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2017, 07:57

Sunject verb agreement basics

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap