It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking the GMAT now vs. later

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Taking the GMAT now vs. later [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 15:42
Hi mbaMission!

I'm debating whether or not to take the GMAT now or three to four years from now (or somewhere in between) based on what the next few years are looking to hold for me.

To sum things up, my girlfriend and I live in Minneapolis and she is just about to begin dental school at the University of Minnesota in the fall. Dental school lasts four years meaning that we're both planning on living in Minneapolis until she is done with school. At the same time, I'm looking into pursuing an MBA, which would likely take me out of the state so I likely wouldn't matriculate until Fall 2021 at the earliest.

I know that GMAT scores are valid for five years and I'm imagining that my current work schedule will allow me to more easily prep for the GMAT now rather than later, but at the same time I'm wondering if I should hold off on taking the test for a few years so that my score is more current and so that I would have a chance to reapply if need be (since my score would only be valid for one admissions cycle for 2021 entry if I took the exam now). Do MBA Admissions prefer newer scores and are there any stigmas associated with reapplying that could harm my chances of admission if I need to reapply?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 0

Re: Taking the GMAT now vs. later [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 21:59
Hi there,
As long as you are within the 5 years it is fine. AND... statistically the earlier you take it (i.e. closer to college age), the higher average test-takers tend to do.... likely due at least in part to being in 'study mode' sooner after undergrad etc, vs getting so far into work that it's tougher to remember the quant facts and get back to test-prep mode. (I became very familiar with all of these stats when working in test prep for years and years myself). So as long as you think you'd be within the 5 year window I'd go for it. Why bank on re-applying at this point, right. You may need to re-take the actual test 2-3 times to get what you want; these days that is common, but you can do that in the coming months or year as needed. Feel free to check back in with udpates/for advice and good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 0