It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 00:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:00) correct 40% (00:53) wrong based on 143 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly related to shrubs and in fact include the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow to be 10-12 feet long and is well-known for its overpowering aroma.

A. include the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow to be 10-12 feet long and is
B. the plant known as Andromeda, growing to be 10-12 feet long and
C. include the plant known as Andromeda, growing up to 10-12 feet long and is
D. includes the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow as long as 10-12 feet and is
E. includes the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow to be 10-12 feet long and it is

Source: CrackVerbal
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 30 Sep 2017, 02:29, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Re: The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 03:57
Option A for me. Easy one I would say.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 22:48
Please explain why C is wrong here

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 310

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
This is the exact replica of this official question : https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-32-speci ... -9155.html

So, if you can solve the official one, you don't need to much bother about this one.

priyanknema wrote:
Please explain why C is wrong here

Coming to your question: You cannot make a clause parallel to a participle - "growing" is a participle, while "is famous" is a finite verb. Eliminate C

Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 310

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 76

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 05:39
The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly related to shrubs and in fact include the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow to be 10-12 feet long and is well-known for its overpowering aroma.

A. include the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow to be 10-12 feet long and is - Correct. We see a comma before which and it is describing Andromeda.
C. include the plant known as Andromeda, growing up to 10-12 feet long and is - Wrong modification.
D. includes the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow as long as 10-12 feet and is
E. includes the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow to be 10-12 feet long and it is

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 76

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1586 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 11:27
Funny, I was just about to post the exact same thing as godot53. The question is a nearly perfect ripoff of an official one, so you're MUCH better off concentrating on that one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-32-speci ... -9155.html

Kudos for the explanation too, godot53!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1586 [0], given: 400

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 310

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 02:30
GMATNinja wrote:
Funny, I was just about to post the exact same thing as godot53. The question is a nearly perfect ripoff of an official one, so you're MUCH better off concentrating on that one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-32-speci ... -9155.html

Kudos for the explanation too, godot53!

Thank you for the appreciation. Its always awesome to receive feedback from an expert.

I believe most test prep companies, except a few, do this kind of trick - just change the noun or the verb of an official question and create a new question. I don't know how much such questions helps, but it does provide a good marketing claim.[ practice with 1000+ questions.. and so on]

Cheers.. :-)

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 310

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 06:22
devikeerthansr wrote:

A. include the plant known as Andromeda, which can grow to be 10-12 feet long and is
C. include the plant known as Andromeda, growing up to 10-12 feet long and is

Source: CrackVerbal

It’s A. The subject here is 40 species so D and E are out. B is in wrong place. C - growing modifies for entire previous clause however we need a modifier that modifies andromeda. So c is out. OA is A

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 28

Re: The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 06:22

The 40 species that make up the Malpighiaceae family are strongly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap