GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2018, 08:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:02) correct 53% (01:24) wrong based on 609 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in Chinese and English, has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does.

(A) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does

(B) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager

(C) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just like the main character in the story does

(D) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and, she, like the main character in the story does, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager

(E) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and, she, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager

Solution: B

Explanation: When a series begins like this: “she is fluent, has reported, and…….” the “she” is understood before each verb, and the last component (s) in the sentence must match this (be only verbs).

For instance, you cannot say: he has lived in New York, worked in Japan, and he has gone to school in China.

All of the answer choices except (B) incorrectly insert the “she,” creating what is called a “bungled series”.

Because there is so much garbage in the sentence, you can lose track of that series – don’t forget to use the slash and burn strategy to simplify sentences and see core structures and series.

Answer is (B).

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Originally posted by fozzzy on 11 Jun 2013, 01:33.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 Apr 2018, 08:42, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2013, 01:46
The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in Chinese and English, has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does.

Focus on the parallelism:
she is fluent, has reported from Beijing ...

1 and she emigrated
2 and, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager.
3 and she emigrated
4 and, she, like the main character in the story does, emigrated
5 and, she, like the main character in the story, emigrated

There are three actions that the subject does. All those have to be parallel.
In a parallel structure of this kind there is no need to repet the subject: since all actions are parallel the subject is the same.

"My brother lives (...), plays (...) and hetravels (...)

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Re: The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2013, 01:57
The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in Chinese and English, has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does.
1 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does. - This option changes the intended meaning of the sentence. This option conveys that the both the author & character migrated when they were teenager rather than both just migrated.

2 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager. - CORRECT

3 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just like the main character in the story does - LIKE must be followed by a Phrase & not by a clause.

4 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, she, like the main character in the story does, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager. - LIKE must be followed by a Phrase & not by a clause. Moreover this option introduces modifier error

5 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, she, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager. - Changes the intended meaning of the sentence. This option means that the Author is similar to the main character of the story

Hope this helps.
Express appreciation by pressing KUDOS button.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2013, 05:28

1 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does.
there should be a "comma" after the and, as the list contains more than two items
2 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager.
Correct
3 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just like the main character in the story does.
there should be a "comma" after the and, as the list contains more than two items
4 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, she, like the main character in the story does, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager.
like compares nouns, hence like the main character in the story does is wrong as it is comparing action, as should be used instead
5 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, she, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager.
and, she, like the main character in the story - the subject is not required again as it breaks the parallelism

Hope it helps!

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 06:15
Hi Experts,

In Option B, is the usage of "Like" Correct ?

As per my understanding, "Like" Should not be followed by a verb.
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 08:11
fozzzy wrote:

1 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does.

2 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager.

3 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just like the main character in the story does.

4 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, she, like the main character in the story does, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager.

5 has reported from Beijing – where most of the story takes place – and, she, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager.

Please explain! Thanks

Answer should be D

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 09:16
gmatexam439 wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Please explain! Thanks

Answer should be D

D have two main issue :

1---like should not be followed clause
2--parallelism issue
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 11:38
Hi gmatexam439

Quote:

kunal1608

Quote:
Answer should be D

Incorrect Parallelism:
She is fluent.... has reported.... ,and she emigrated -- incorrect - structure of choice (A, C, D & E)

Correct Parallelism:
She is fluent........has reported.... ,and emigrated ------ correct
She is fluent....she has reported.... ,and she emigrated -- correct

Correct Idioms/Pairs:
Same______As____
As________As____
Just As___So____
So Much___As____

Incorrect Idioms/Pairs:
Just Like (Choice A)
Such Like (Choice C)
Just As

Like Vs As:

Like A, B
1. Here A should be a NOUN perhaps with modifiers but NOT clause. That is A should not be Subject + verb construction
2. Here B should be a comparable NOUN (compare with NOUN in A). B should be an independent clause.

As A, B
1. Here A could be a CLAUSE or Prepositional Phrase
2. Here B should be an independent clause.

Choice D incorrectly uses Like + Clause construction (Like + character + Does).

Now the correct Choice B and a little doubt:

It maintains the paralleism.
She is fluent........has reported.... ,and ,like ......, emigrated

Hi, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Is this correct construction because "and" & "emigrated" are set off by TWO commas and so the parallelism is maintained. I am thinking of an official correct choice like this one.

She is fluent........has reported.... ,and like ......, emigrated (Notice only ONE comma) --- this construction will be wrong for sure. Right?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 11:39
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 11:48
HKD1710 wrote:
Hi gmatexam439

Quote:

kunal1608

Quote:
Answer should be D

Incorrect Parallelism:
She is fluent.... has reported.... ,and she emigrated -- incorrect - structure of choice (A, C, D & E)

Correct Parallelism:
She is fluent........has reported.... ,and emigrated ------ correct
She is fluent....she has reported.... ,and she emigrated -- correct

Correct Idioms/Pairs:
Same______As____
As________As____
Just As___So____
So Much___As____

Incorrect Idioms/Pairs:
Just Like (Choice A)
Such Like (Choice C)
Just As

Like Vs As:

Like A, B
1. Here A should be a NOUN perhaps with modifiers but NOT clause. That is A should not be Subject + verb construction
2. Here B should be a comparable NOUN (compare with NOUN in A). B should be an independent clause.

As A, B
1. Here A could be a CLAUSE or Prepositional Phrase
2. Here B should be an independent clause.

Choice D incorrectly uses Like + Clause construction (Like + character + Does).

Now the correct Choice B and a little doubt:

It maintains the paralleism.

Hi, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Is this correct construction because "and" & "emigrated" are set off by TWO commas and so the parallelism is maintained. I am thinking of an official correct choice like this one.
She is fluent........has reported.... ,and like ......, emigrated (Notice only ONE comma) --- this construction will be wrong for sure. Right?

Hi Let me help you with this one.

Remember a simple rule:

You never say that "I ate ice cream, chocolate, tea". This is wrong. While typing a list of items/things a "and" is always used before the last thing. So the correct version will be that " I ate ice cream, chocolate AND tea."

When in the highlighted part you type " ..... , and like ..... , the sentence becomes nonsensical. You are specifically saying that "She is fluent ... has reported .... and like". You are basically toppling "emigrated" out of the list of things. "like ..." modifies "she" and should not become the part of the list, that's why it is put between the two commas. So the correct version is "she is fluent .. has reported ... and emigrated", correctly depicting the 3 things that she does.

Hope that helps !!
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 00:08
Quote:
The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in Chinese and English, has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does

Sentence analysis:
The first clause before the colon(:) is a complete sentence on its own. The colon (:) provides further explanation for what comes before it.
For example, one can use a colon to equate a list with its components. One should be able to insert the word namely or the phrase that is after the colon.
What comes before the colon must be able to stand alone as a sentence. What comes after the colon does not have to be able to stand alone.

Further the sentence starts telling about the author.
1. she is fluent in Chinese and English
2. has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—
Parallelism Marker "and"
3. she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does
Hence it clearly shows that the qualities of the author have been placed in a parallel structure.
So If we see the non-underlined portion, the first piece of parallelism i.e. 1. The Pronoun She is followed by verb to be "is". SHE in itself is in a once out, twice/thrice in structure. Hence it would come only once as the second parallel piece i.e. 2 though underlined, but is same in all the answer options. which completes itself as "SHE has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—"

Just as is used to give an example, but here the comparison is made between the author and the main character, so Just as is incorrect in the main sentence.
Let's see in other answer options.
Quote:
(A) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does
This A goes out because its a gift pack of errors as mentioned above.

Quote:
(B) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager
This answer option maintains the parallelism of the sentence. Pieces 1, 2 and the 3rd (emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager) in this answer option are parallel. as they all start with verb.
2 modifiers are placed side by side. First, like the main character in the story, and Second emigrated to the New York area when; Both modify "She". Comparison between the main character and she looks fine.
This answer options seems good enough to be kept.

Quote:
(C) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just like the main character in the story does
Parallelism is an issue clearly. Whenever there is do or does, not literally but they act as pronoun for the verb in the sentence. If we replace does with the verb it refers to, the sentence looks like this: "she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just like the main character in the story emigrated" Complete non-sensical. Like compares nouns not phrases. As does that.

Quote:
(D) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and, she, like the main character in the story does, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager
Similar to C.
Issues:
1. Parallelism.
2. Comparison
Refer to C for the details.

Quote:
(E) has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and, she, like the main character in the story, emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager
Comparison is fine. She is being compared to the main character.
Parallelism takes this answer option for a toll. Goes Out.
B is the best answer option available.

Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 00:32
GMATYoda wrote:
Quote:
The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in Chinese and English, has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—and she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does

Sentence analysis:
The first clause before the colon(:) is a complete sentence on its own. The colon (:) provides further explanation for what comes before it.
For example, one can use a colon to equate a list with its components. One should be able to insert the word namely or the phrase that is after the colon.
What comes before the colon must be able to stand alone as a sentence. What comes after the colon does not have to be able to stand alone.

Further the sentence starts telling about the author.
1. she is fluent in Chinese and English
2. has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—
Parallelism Marker "and"
3. she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just as the main character in the story does
Hence it clearly shows that the qualities of the author have been placed in a parallel structure.
So If we see the non-underlined portion, the first piece of parallelism i.e. 1. The Pronoun She is followed by verb to be "is". SHE in itself is in a once out, twice/thrice in structure. Hence it would come only once as the second parallel piece i.e. 2 though underlined, but is same in all the answer options. which completes itself as "SHE has reported from Beijing—where most of the story takes place—"

Just as is used to give an example, but here the comparison is made between the author and the main character, so Just as is incorrect in the main sentence.
Let's see in other answer options.
Quote:
This A goes out because its a gift pack of errors as mentioned above.

Quote:
This answer option maintains the parallelism of the sentence. Pieces 1, 2 and the 3rd (emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager) in this answer option are parallel. as they all start with verb.
2 modifiers are placed side by side. First, like the main character in the story, and Second emigrated to the New York area when; Both modify "She". Comparison between the main character and she looks fine.
This answer options seems good enough to be kept.

Quote:
Parallelism is an issue clearly. Whenever there is do or does, not literally but they act as pronoun for the verb in the sentence. If we replace does with the verb it refers to, the sentence looks like this: "she emigrated to the New York area when she was a teenager, just like the main character in the story emigrated" Complete non-sensical. Like compares nouns not phrases. As does that.

Quote:
Similar to C.
Issues:
1. Parallelism.
2. Comparison
Refer to C for the details.

Quote:
Comparison is fine. She is being compared to the main character.
Parallelism takes this answer option for a toll. Goes Out.
B is the best answer option available.

Good analysis of parallelism and comparison .

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 00:32

The author seems well qualified to write the book: she is fluent in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap