GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 May 2019, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 12:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:26) correct 45% (01:25) wrong based on 150 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office begins at 1300 hours and, as long as the coffee supplies may last, it continues.

A. begins at 1300 hours and, as long as the coffee supplies may last, it continues
B. will begin at 1300 hours and continue until the coffee supplies lasts
C. begins at 1300 hours, continuing until the coffee supplies last
D. will begin at 1300 hours and, until the coffee supplies lasts, they will continue
E. will begin at 1300 hours and continue as long as the coffee supplies last

V
GPA: 3.12
Re: The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 19:13
The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office begins at 1300 hours and, as long as the coffee supplies may last, it continues.

A. begins at 1300 hours and, as long as the coffee supplies may last, it continues
B. will begin at 1300 hours and continue until the coffee supplies lasts
Coffee supplies is plural, should be followed by plural verb "last"
C. begins at 1300 hours, continuing until the coffee supplies last
Though this choice corrects the subject verb error, continuing until is plain awkward
D. will begin at 1300 hours and, until the coffee supplies lasts, they will continue
Coffee supplies is plural, should be followed by plural verb "last". Also they has no clear logical antecedent
E. will begin at 1300 hours and continue as long as the coffee supplies last
Both the idiom error and the S-V error are corrected in this choice, and is the correct answer.
B
Re: The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 11:26
Can someone please explain in detail? Is it ok to use the future tense here? Aren't we use simple present tense for the scheduled events?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 09:44
arorni

I don't know if the use of future tense is correct but there are other ways to get to the answer:-

Now Parliamentary debates is plural and need to be followed by begin and not begins,

So eliminate A & C.

Coffee Supplies should be followed by Last
Eliminate B & D.

You are left with E.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 10:13
Manat wrote:
arorni

I don't know if the use of future tense is correct but there are other ways to get to the answer:-

Now Parliamentary debates is plural and need to be followed by begin and not begins,

So eliminate A & C.

Eliminate B & D.

You are left with E.

Thanks for the reply.Yes, you are right. Although my answer was correct. I just wanted to know, why we have used will here. Is it ok to do that?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 10:44
arorni wrote:
Manat wrote:
arorni

So eliminate A & C.

Eliminate B & D.

You are left with E.

Thanks for the reply.Yes, you are right. Although my answer was correct. I just wanted to know, why we have used will here. Is it ok to do that?

I don't see anything wrong with using WILL, Also try and eliminate answers choices on other factors, I am not an expert but at the end, you just need to eliminate 4 answer choices. :)
Senior SC Moderator
V
The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 23:17
arorni wrote:
Manat wrote:
arorni

So eliminate A & C.

Eliminate B & D.

You are left with E.

arorni , yes, customarily we use simple present to talk about scheduled events.
Using the simple present tense "will begin," though, is not wrong—
and not something I have ever seen tested in an official question.

The show begins at 9 p.m. is the standard construction.
The show will begin at 9 p.m. is neither standard nor wrong.

I would not worry about the issue. Manat , +1 for a good philosophy and for helping.

All: If you can, pick the answer that uses only the present tense to talk about a scheduled event.
On the other hand, if you have one answer that remains after POE
but that uses "will" to talk about a scheduled event?
Pick that answer; the use of "will" is not ungrammatical, but it is not standard, either.

I doubt that you will ever see this issue tested. :)

Hope that helps.

For practice SC questions go to SC Butler, here.

Please DO NOT write short answers in your verbal posts! Such answers will be deleted.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 07:52
generis wrote:
arorni wrote:
Manat wrote:
arorni

So eliminate A & C.

Eliminate B & D.

You are left with E.

arorni , yes, customarily we use simple present to talk about scheduled events.
Using the simple present tense "will begin," though, is not wrong—
and not something I have ever seen tested in an official question.

The show begins at 9 p.m. is the standard construction.
The show will begin at 9 p.m. is neither standard nor wrong.

I would not worry about the issue. Manat , +1 for a good philosophy and for helping.

All: If you can, pick the answer that uses only the present tense to talk about a scheduled event.
On the other hand, if you have one answer that remains after POE
but that uses "will" to talk about a scheduled event?
Pick that answer; the use of "will" is not ungrammatical, but it is not standard, either.

I doubt that you will ever see this issue tested. :)

Hope that helps.

Even I have not seen the use of future tense for scheduled events, I guess you are right. If there is no other choice left then it's ok to select the one with simple future tense..

Thanks Manat and Edmund Burke for helping me with this...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2019, 07:52

The customary daily heated parliamentary debates in the society office

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap