Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [60]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [18]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The Federal investigators at Stapleton Industries have failed to find [#permalink]
To suggest is really correct? I was between B and D. B seemed awkward where it states "or its officers guilty". D seemed awkward with the "to suggest"
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Re: The Federal investigators at Stapleton Industries have failed to find [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ashish8 wrote:
To suggest is really correct? I was between B and D. B seemed awkward where it states "or its officers guilty". D seemed awkward with the "to suggest"

Dear ashish8,
Yes, the structure "to suggest" is 100% correct, particularly in reference to "evidence" --- "the evidence to suggest that ..." That's a very common phrase in science writing.

My friend, apart from GMAT preparations, how much reading do you do? You develop an ear for more sophisticated structures only by reading high quality material. Here are some suggestions:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-reading-list/

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
D is correct

analyst the original sentence:
1. "that suggested that" is unecessary wordy.
2. The Federal Investigators failed to find evidence t suggest that A or that B. The usage of Nor changes the intended meaning of the sentence. with "nor" the sentence mean that the Investigators failed to find evidence to suggestA but they success in finding evidence to suggest B.
3. suggest that .... or that .... must be used to maintain the parrallelism.

for the 1st reason, A & B go out
For the 2nd and 3rd reasons, C and E go out

Hence D correct

The use of present tense correctly reflex what is going on at the time of the investigation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Nice question. Chose D. Past perfect is wrong because we do not have past tense in the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
2) The Federal investigators at Stapleton Industries have failed to find any evidence that has suggested that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks, nor its officers guilty of improper relations with industry regulators.
(A) that has suggested that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks, nor its officers guilty
(B) that suggests that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks, or its officers guilty
(C) suggesting that the unusually large contributions to its accounts had been derived from government kickbacks, with its officers guilty
(D) to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks or that its officers are guilty
(E) to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts had been derived from government kickbacks, nor were its officers guilty

This questions explores, among other things, issue of Verb Form. For a full discussion of Verb Form on the GMAT SC, as well as a complete explanation of this question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/verb-forms ... orrection/

Hi Mikeyy...could you explain a query of mine...

*Yo-yo Ma, whom according to the classical cellists of the world is perhaps the world’s best, plays in a versatile style which is ever-changing but which also employs aspects of genres as varied as Baroque, American bluegrass, and modern minimalism.

*considered perhaps the world’s best by the classical cellists of the world, plays in a versatile style, which at the same time employs

It's a veritas question and answer mentioned above in greeen. Here , which refers to noun style.

Now a concept which we all knw through E Gmat SC notes :

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

Here which refers to 80 massive planets....

Wat exactly do we have to follow ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mango1banana wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
2) The Federal investigators at Stapleton Industries have failed to find any evidence that has suggested that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks, nor its officers guilty of improper relations with industry regulators.
(A) that has suggested that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks, nor its officers guilty
(B) that suggests that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks, or its officers guilty
(C) suggesting that the unusually large contributions to its accounts had been derived from government kickbacks, with its officers guilty
(D) to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks or that its officers are guilty
(E) to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts had been derived from government kickbacks, nor were its officers guilty

This questions explores, among other things, issue of Verb Form. For a full discussion of Verb Form on the GMAT SC, as well as a complete explanation of this question, see:

*Yo-yo Ma, whom according to the classical cellists of the world is perhaps the world’s best, plays in a versatile style which is ever-changing but which also employs aspects of genres as varied as Baroque, American bluegrass, and modern minimalism.

*considered perhaps the world’s best by the classical cellists of the world, plays in a versatile style, which at the same time employs

It's a veritas question and answer mentioned above in greeen. Here , which refers to noun style.

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

Dear mango1banana
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, my friend, I will urge you to be careful. In your post, you spelled several things incorrectly, including my name. Think about this. Any person reading this forum could one day be your coworker, your boss, your partner, or some other professional relationship. In any relationship, you get only one chance to make a first impression, and first impressions are enduring in their effects. You are an adult in the adult world, and people will judge your words & actions as reflections of who you are. In such a situation, it always makes sense to put forth the highest quality. It is one of the habits of excellence to bring the very best of one's self to each and every task. It is much harder for any student to achieve excellence on the GMAT if that student has not be practicing the habits of excellence consistently throughout his studies.

In particular, when you cite any question, it is a courtesy to quote the entire question, not just the part about which you are making a point.

Now, to your question itself, it appears you are unclear on the distinction of a vital vs. non-vital noun modifier. See these two blogs:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Does all this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
mango1banana wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

Dear mango1banana

First of all, my friend, I will urge you to be careful. In your post, you spelled several things incorrectly, including my name. Think about this. Any person reading this forum could one day be your coworker, your boss, your partner, or some other professional relationship. In any relationship, you get only one chance to make a first impression, and first impressions are enduring in their effects. You are an adult in the adult world, and people will judge your words & actions as reflections of who you are. In such a situation, it always makes sense to put forth the highest quality. It is one of the habits of excellence to bring the very best of one's self to each and every task. It is much harder for any student to achieve excellence on the GMAT if that student has not be practicing the habits of excellence consistently throughout his studies.

In particular, when you cite any question, it is a courtesy to quote the entire question, not just the part about which you are making a point.

Now, to your question itself, it appears you are unclear on the distinction of a vital vs. non-vital noun modifier. See these two blogs:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Sorry Mike
Clearly , I have offended you. My intentions were not the same. Just infected by this bad habit of abbreviations and aliases in today's world
of SMS ,chatting and social forums . Never though about being formal while posting on the forums. I apologize for the same. I would like to assure you
that I pay my respect to people when addressing them in real life. Words might not reflect it but we have huge respect for you and for other moderators who
have come forward to guide us students. However, would request you to take it easy on forums as there are people who can be mean . Just my opinion for a better life
on the internet.

( Btw Mikeyy was not a spelling mistake :-D :-D :-D )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Ergenekon wrote:
Nice question. Chose D. Past perfect is wrong because we do not have past tense in the sentence.

Could anyone please check if my logic about why the past perfect tense doesn't work here?

At first glance, I thought that the past perfect tense(to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts had been derived from government kickbacks) was a better option because we're talking about something that happened in the past, before the investigation started. But we are not simply describing what they used to do so in the past, but it is the "evidence" we are talking about; it is the evidence to suggest something(to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks). So, you could even say that this is like a historical fact, which technically happened in the past, but the influence holds true up to now. So, there is no need to use past perfect tense, which indicates something happened in the past and it ended in the past.

If I am wrong, please correct me or elaborate more on this issue.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
grimbergen wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:

Could anyone please check if my logic about why the past perfect tense doesn't work here?

At first glance, I thought that the past perfect tense(to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts had been derived from government kickbacks) was a better option because we're talking about something that happened in the past, before the investigation started. But we are not simply describing what they used to do so in the past, but it is the "evidence" we are talking about; it is the evidence to suggest something(to suggest that the unusually large contributions to its accounts are derived from government kickbacks). So, you could even say that this is like a historical fact, which technically happened in the past, but the influence holds true up to now. So, there is no need to use past perfect tense, which indicates something happened in the past and it ended in the past.

If I am wrong, please correct me or elaborate more on this issue.

Dear grimbergen,

Remember, first of all, that while the past perfect is used to set one event in the past of another past event, we do not use the past perfect when other indicators of time sequence would make it redundant. For example, if the sentence says, "he did X before he did Y," the adverb "before" already indicates the sequence, so the use of the past perfect would be redundant. See:
Past Perfect on GMAT Sentence Correction

Here, though, the action is not in the past. It's also a little more than the influence of a past historical event. The verb "to derive [from]" means "to obtain something [from]" or "to have one's source [from]." Consider this sentence:
The Fourteenth Amendment is derived from the popular sentiment of the Reconstruction period.
This verb is a present action. It's true that the "Reconstruction period" was over 100 years ago, in the historical past. Nevertheless, the relationship of having one's origin from someplace is a present-moment relationship. Right now, today, the Fourteenth Amendment has its origin from that past event. Much in the same way, the "unusually large contributions to its accounts" mentioned in this question have their origin from someplace, and this relationship of having their origin exists in the present time.

The GMAT SC is all about meaning, and the meaning of this particular verb can create a unique link between past and present. It can refer to something in the past even though it is discussing a present relationship.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM