It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The importance of first 10 questions and wrong answer in row

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

The importance of first 10 questions and wrong answer in row [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, I mock tested myself four times using prep-Gmat software, and I have to say the myth is true about "The importance of first 10 questions and wrong answer in row"

I used to think if I get better accuracy rate, my score should be higher, but it is not the case at all! Below is my summarized report on 4 tests

Please ignore the first test, it was taken before I started studying (And it has very low accuracy rate). And the recent 3 tests are taken on 6/9/2016 6/13/2016 6/14/2016, after two months of painful study

And as you can tell, the accuracy rate is pretty much the same, not very dramatic difference.
So the only explanation for my declining score is the position of wrong answers as well as whether they are in row or not.

The 2 test is highest, because it only has 3 wrong after first ten questions
The 3 test is the median, but i have two times "wrong in row", which is 4 times and 5 times in verbal section (I was stunned that even making so many mistakes I can still get a 690) But luckily, they are after first 10 questions.
The 4 test, says best about the adaptive software, a higher correct rate than test 3 but lower score, which is caused by my verbal "wrong in row" in the first ten questions.
So the evidence is very clear, it doesn't matter how many right answer I get, what matter is where you make mistakes (before or after first 10) and "wrong in row"

Conclusion: Altough Accuracy rate plays a role, (otherwise my first test should also get closer to 700), but definitely not as important as the "position and wrong in row" factor. I would say 30% 70% ?

My final thought: There is no way for me to significantly increase accuracy rate in short period of time(will have first real test this coming Saturday), and also considering accuracy rate contributes so much less than the "position and wrong in row" factor, I wouldn't want to bother to study more. So the best is just to take as many GMAT as possible until I am LUCKY enough to have questions that not so hard in the first 10? (Very opportunist thought lol but I am kind of desperate now when each mock test results a lower score than before, even with a higher accuracy rate :cry: )

Any thought, advise, comfort guys? :roll: :roll: :cry:
Attachments

report.PNG
report.PNG [ 25.85 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: The importance of first 10 questions and wrong answer in row [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 19:20
soimba0413 wrote:
Yes. Don't read too much into any of this, and don't try to "figure" the GMAT out. Any "tactic" (accuracy? position? sequence?) is not much more than a gamble. It could work for you, but it won't be reliable (at all). Even if a test taker gets a good score trying to "game" the GMAT, he or she will never know whether that score was in fact attributable to the "tactic" used.

Focus on executing the timing strategy you've decided on so that you manage to get through all the questions within the time given to you. You might need to guess a little to do this. Try not to include anything more complicated than that.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 22:49
AjiteshArun wrote:
soimba0413 wrote:
Yes. Don't read too much into any of this, and don't try to "figure" the GMAT out. Any "tactic" (accuracy? position? sequence?) is not much more than a gamble. It could work for you, but it won't be reliable (at all). Even if a test taker gets a good score trying to "game" the GMAT, he or she will never know whether that score was in fact attributable to the "tactic" used.

Focus on executing the timing strategy you've decided on so that you manage to get through all the questions within the time given to you. You might need to guess a little to do this. Try not to include anything more complicated than that.

After practice, I think there is no problem with my timing, I rarely feel rushed, however, when I encounter unsure question, after 2min max, I would just pick one and continue, I guess this hurt my score? But The OG also suggests to do so since if getting stuck on one question for too long, it may hurt the time for answering all questions afterwards

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 18:12
AWESOME analysis! Much appreciated.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 23:18
useful analysis! Much appreciated.

Re: The importance of first 10 questions and wrong answer in row   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2017, 23:18

The importance of first 10 questions and wrong answer in row

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap