Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [4]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
The increase in the number of American households viewing telecasts of [#permalink]
nycgirl212 wrote:
The increase in the number of American households viewing telecasts of NASCAR races imply that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that the limited number of races each year compared to the NFL's hundreds of games indicates that fans will continue to watch football at a significantly higher rate.

A) imply that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that

B) imply that the motorsport is soon supplanting NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but

C) implies that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that

D) implies that the motorsport is soon supplanting NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that

E) implies that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but

I chose C because I thought "that" was required. However, I know the correct answer is E. Can someone explain why "that" isn't required? Isn't "that" needed to maintain parallelism? i.e. implies that X, but that Y

Official solution from Veritas Prep.

If you’ve been following sound sentence correction strategy, you probably noticed the 3-2 split between “implies” and “imply” and slashed and burned your way to the phrase:

The increase in the number of American households viewing telecasts of NASCAR races implies…

“In the number” modifies “increases”; “of American households” modifies “number”; “viewing telecasts” modifies “households”; and “of NASCAR races” modifies “telecasts.” “The increase” is the subject of the verb, which must be “implies.” That would lead you to eliminate answer choices A and B.

From there, however, there exists quite a bit of reading to do after “implies.” Did you also notice the 3-2 split on the back end? You’re being asked to decide between “but” and “but that”—a classic sentence construction Decision Point. When you need to decide between connectors, it’s helpful to use an offshoot of the slash-and-burn strategy, filling in the details of each portion to be connected with variables to test just that connection:

The increase implies X, but the number of races indicates Y.
vs.
The increase implies X, but that the number of races indicates Y.

The simple “but” is correct and “but that” is wrong. As you can see above, it simply does not provide a parallel connection, so answer choice E is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
The increase in the number of American households viewing telecasts of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The increase in the number of American households viewing telecasts of NASCAR races imply that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that the limited number of races each year compared to the NFL's hundreds of games indicates that fans will continue to watch football at a significantly higher rate.

A) imply that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that

B) imply that the motorsport is soon supplanting NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but

C) implies that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that

D) implies that the motorsport is soon supplanting NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but that

E) implies that the motorsport will soon supplant NFL football as the nation's most popular sport, but

Notwithstanding the unsound and ugly 'motor sport is soon supplanting' in D:

The reason why D is wrong is more that the 'but that' structure gives an absurd twist to the meaning. We normally mean to say that if there are two factors namely X and Y caused by some A factor, then we have to use the 'but that ' structure for both the factors X and Y to maintain parallelism. However, if the Y factor is not relevant or is extraneous to the A factor, then using the 'but that' structure will give an absurd meaning. To wit:

The increase in the number implies that the motorsport is soon supplanting -- Ok this is acceptable because the survey is about NASCAR races and the result is also about the motor race. However, the second factor namely that the NFL viewership will outperform the races viewership is not suggested by the survey; the second part is an extraneous and independent comment and therefore D is wrong.
You might see where but that is going to be relevant to //ism.
A report by GMAC indicates that Asians outperform both Americans and Europeans in Quants, but that the Asians underperform in Verbals.
Here one cannot do away with the 'but that' structure. If you drop the 'but that' phrase in the second factor, then the sentence will be un//.

Originally posted by daagh on 09 Feb 2017, 09:31.
Last edited by daagh on 11 Feb 2017, 02:17, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
Re: The increase in the number of American households viewing telecasts of [#permalink]
Good question. Seems like Official questions.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The increase in the number of American households viewing telecasts of [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts