GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

     December 09, 2018

     December 09, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 47
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 03:45
3
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:40) correct 40% (01:47) wrong based on 660 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work
E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work
Most Helpful Community Reply
Queens MBA Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 170
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 03:04
3
4
megatron13 wrote:
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work
E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work


Explanation ,
"But Working ... 20 %" - No SV pair.

POE
A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
Independent clause followed by but does not have any Subject or verb. - Incorrect

B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
GMAT - Double verb error. Double verb error is very common among the wrong answer choices.
"The Lazy Bees" single subject with two verb "Account" and "contribute", without any proper connection word (Such as and)

C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
Independent clause followed by but does not have any Subject or verb. - Incorrect

D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work
Correct -
Modifier "accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population"correctly modifies Bees
SV pair is proper - Lazy Bees (subject) Contribute (verb)
IC followed by But contains subject "they" and Verb "work


E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work[/quote]
Independent clause followed by but does not have any Subject . - Incorrect
"That "refers to population , this introduces change in meaning
General Discussion
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 47
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 03:49
If we add a "that" before option B, would it also become correct?
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2625
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 14:31
megatron13 wrote:
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work
E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work



it is a clear D for me...
but introduces a new clause, but it doesn't have an active verb, therefore A is out.
B has a new verb - account. it is not properly connected to contribute. the semicolon is ok though here...
C makes the same mistake as A.
D - corrects the only error in A.
E - same mistake as in B.

D is the answer.
Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1376
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 18:29
megatron13 wrote:
If we add a "that" before option B, would it also become correct?


I think "those" should be placed before option B because "bees" is a plural noun
_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Posts: 225
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 05:43
1
+1 D
In my 2 cents,
A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working

B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
-- double vert without proper conjunction

C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working

D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work


E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work
-- population doesn't contribute anything;the doers are "the lazy bees"
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 532
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 23:15
Top Contributor
2
Let us look at the answer options -

A - Incorrect.
Note that coordinating conjunctions such as and/but require parallelism.

"The ‘lazy’ bees ... usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining"
"working" is not parallel to anything on the left-hand-side of "but".

Also, note that we generally do not use commas to separate two phrases separated by a coordinating conjunction. We use commas to separate two clauses.
For example -
she is smart but lazy.
In many nations, criminal law does not apply to corporations, but in the United Stated today, a corporation commits a crime whenever one of its employees commits a crime.

B - Incorrect.
there are two main verbs in the clause -
"The ‘lazy’ bees account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive".

C - Incorrect.

"The ‘lazy’ bees ... usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining"
"working" is not parallel to anything on the left-hand-side of "but".

D - Correct.
Note that a comma is used to separate two main clauses along with a conjunction.

"The ‘lazy’ bees ... usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work ..."

E - Incorrect.
Meaning Error.

"account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive"
this refers to 80% of those bees that contribute little, not 80% of the beehive population.
_________________

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4271
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 02:27
megatron13 wrote:
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work
E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work



The ‘lazy’ bees accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

Correct answer must be (D) for the highlighted errors in the other options...

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 May 2017
Posts: 39
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 07:56
megatron13 wrote:
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work
E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work


CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN ME HOW ACCOUNT HERE IS WRONG IN IN OPTION B. if there is a rule then please explain.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4553
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 01:26
Top Contributor
1. Many have said that E is wrong because it lacks a subject in the second independent clause. Why should there be an IC every time after fanboys such as 'and' or 'but'? After all, fanboys can also connect two verbs as in E namely the lazy bees 'account for' but 'work hard'. All that is said in the relative clause starting with 'that usually contributes' is no more than a modifier of 80 percent of the hive population. Essentially, therefore, E is not a sentence with two ICs but one with a single subject and two conjugated verbs.
I wouldn't think E is wrong. Any opinions?
2. saarthak299 wrote
Quote:
CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN ME HOW ACCOUNT HERE IS WRONG IN IN OPTION B. if there is a rule then please explain.


B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
The 'lazy bees' is the subject. 'Account for' is the first verb and 'usually contribute' is the second verb. This is thus a fused sentence and type of run-on with double verbing without appropriate conjugation.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 10:10
I understand the reasoning that D is the most correct. But shouldn't there be a comma after 'lazy' bees because "accounting for ...." is an -ing modifier? Is this a mistake or does the rule not apply here? Or is it a case of which answer is BEST?

CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Let us look at the answer options -

A - Incorrect.
Note that coordinating conjunctions such as and/but require parallelism.

"The ‘lazy’ bees ... usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining"
"working" is not parallel to anything on the left-hand-side of "but".

Also, note that we generally do not use commas to separate two phrases separated by a coordinating conjunction. We use commas to separate two clauses.
For example -
she is smart but lazy.
In many nations, criminal law does not apply to corporations, but in the United Stated today, a corporation commits a crime whenever one of its employees commits a crime.

B - Incorrect.
there are two main verbs in the clause -
"The ‘lazy’ bees account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive".

C - Incorrect.

"The ‘lazy’ bees ... usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining"
"working" is not parallel to anything on the left-hand-side of "but".

D - Correct.
Note that a comma is used to separate two main clauses along with a conjunction.

"The ‘lazy’ bees ... usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work ..."

E - Incorrect.
Meaning Error.

"account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive"
this refers to 80% of those bees that contribute little, not 80% of the beehive population.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 218
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 03:41
daagh wrote:
1. Many have said that E is wrong because it lacks a subject in the second independent clause. Why should there be an IC every time after fanboys such as 'and' or 'but'? After all, fanboys can also connect two verbs as in E namely the lazy bees 'account for' but 'work hard'. All that is said in the relative clause starting with 'that usually contributes' is no more than a modifier of 80 percent of the hive population. Essentially, therefore, E is not a sentence with two ICs but one with a single subject and two conjugated verbs.
I wouldn't think E is wrong. Any opinions?
2. saarthak299 wrote
Quote:
CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN ME HOW ACCOUNT HERE IS WRONG IN IN OPTION B. if there is a rule then please explain.


B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
The 'lazy bees' is the subject. 'Account for' is the first verb and 'usually contribute' is the second verb. This is thus a fused sentence and type of run-on with double verbing without appropriate conjugation.


daagh Sir,

With all due respect,E is wrong because of the meaning.Bee hive population does not contribute little to the activities of the hive but lazy bees do.But I think E is grammatically correct.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4553
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 05:17
Top Contributor
Quote:
Techiesam wrote
With all due respect, E is wrong because of the meaning. Beehive population does not contribute little to the activities of the hive but lazy bees do. But I think E is grammatically correct.


Hi techie,

E) The ‘lazy’ bees account for almost 80 percent of the beehive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees if the latter disappear from the hive.

1. This is E. Now according to you ---that usually contributes (singular) little to the activities of the hive -- modifies the (plural) the lazy bees. Am I right? How can the singular verb 'contributes' stand for a plural subject 'bees'? If it is the bees that are contributing little to the activities of the hive, then shouldn't the verb be 'contribute'?

2. What does the second verb after but namely ' work' stand for? In a parallel feature, wherein we have the same common subject namely the bees for both clauses, can we use a singular verb (contributes) for the first part and a plural verb ( (work as hard) for the second part?
Is the problem with E only in the meaning or in the grammar too?
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 218
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 05:39
daagh wrote:
Quote:
Techiesam wrote
With all due respect, E is wrong because of the meaning. Beehive population does not contribute little to the activities of the hive but lazy bees do. But I think E is grammatically correct.


Hi techie,

E) The ‘lazy’ bees account for almost 80 percent of the beehive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees if the latter disappear from the hive.

1. This is E. Now according to you ---that usually contributes (singular) little to the activities of the hive -- modifies the (plural) the lazy bees. Am I right? How can the singular verb 'contributes' stand for a plural subject 'bees'? If it is the bees that are contributing little to the activities of the hive, then shouldn't the verb be 'contribute'?

2. What does the second verb after but namely ' work' stand for? In a parallel feature, wherein we have the same common subject namely the bees for both clauses, can we use a singular verb (contributes) for the first part and a plural verb ( (work as hard) for the second part?
Is the problem with E only in the meaning or in the grammar too?


Sir,

I think in E,because of the unnecessary subordinate clause" that" after beehive population,verb contributes account for the subject beehive population which is singular and that is the reason for E being wrong.But I may be wrong also.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4553
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 06:21
Top Contributor
No issue, as long as you understand something is wrong in grammar too in E, that will good enough.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1653
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 23:51
megatron13 wrote:
If we add a "that" before option B, would it also become correct?


yes, "that" will make B correct; nevertheless, B is still not an answer b/c such similar situation appears in one gmat question, and the answer is still D b/c D is shorter.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jan 2018
Posts: 50
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 04:56
megatron13 wrote:
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contributelittle to the activities of the hive, but they work
E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but workchange in meaning


D for me. :-D Both independent clauses have verb tense agreement - contribute & work. "They" refers correctly to the subject "the lazy bees".

Kudos friends :thumbup:
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1069
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 10:15
megatron13 wrote:
The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working as hard as the remaining 20 percent, the foraging bees, if the latter disappear from the hive.

A) that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
B) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive; however, they work
C) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but working
D) accounting for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population usually contribute little to the activities of the hive, but they work
E) account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive population that usually contributes little to the activities of the hive but work


Imo D

A two independent clauses are connected by but so we need to have subject in the sentence after but .
B there is no conjunction between two verbs account and contribute .
C again we need subject after but to make sense .
D correct
E use of that is wrong and we need and to joint to verbs.There is no subject for the second clause .
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive &nbs [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 10:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The ‘lazy’ bees that account for almost 80 percent of the bee hive

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.