GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jan 2018
Posts: 12
The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (02:06) correct 18% (02:36) wrong based on 94 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given by the equation P = –2(S – 4)^2 + 32, where P is the number of passengers and S is the number of stops the bus has made since beginning its route. If the bus begins its route with no passengers, what is the value of S when the bus has its greatest number of passengers?

a) 9
b) 6
c) 4
d) 2
e) 1

Originally posted by nekiwa07 on 14 Feb 2018, 07:07.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Feb 2018, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58312
The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 07:18
nekiwa07 wrote:
The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given by the equation P = –2(S – 4)^2 + 32, where P is the number of passengers and S is the number of stops the bus has made since beginning its route. If the bus begins its route with no passengers, what is the value of S when the bus has its greatest number of passengers?

a) 9
b) 6
c) 4
d) 2
e) 1


\(P = –2(S – 4)^2 + 32\):

\(–2(S – 4)^2 = (-2)*(square \ of \ a \ number)= (negative)*(non-negative) = (non-positive)\). So, this term is negative or 0.

Therefore, P, the number of passengers, will be maximized when \(–2(S – 4)^2\) is 0. In this case \(P_{max} = –2(S – 4)^2 + 32= 0+32=32\). For, \(–2(S – 4)^2\) to be 0, S should be 4.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58312
Re: The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 08:08
Bunuel wrote:
nekiwa07 wrote:
The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given by the equation P = –2(S – 4)^2 + 32, where P is the number of passengers and S is the number of stops the bus has made since beginning its route. If the bus begins its route with no passengers, what is the value of S when the bus has its greatest number of passengers?

a) 9
b) 6
c) 4
d) 2
e) 1


\(P = –2(S – 4)^2 + 32\):

\(–2(S – 4)^2 = (-2)*(square \ of \ a \ number)= (negative)*(non-negative) = (non-positive)\). So, this term is negative or 0.

Therefore, P, the number of passengers, will be maximized when \(–2(S – 4)^2\) is 0. In this case \(P_{max} = –2(S – 4)^2 + 32= 0+32=32\). For, \(–2(S – 4)^2\) to be 0, S should be 4.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.


Similar question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-number-o ... 87963.html
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 6
The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2018, 22:39
substitute the value of S so we get no of passengers from the equation

A) p= -2(9-4)*2 +32 = -18
B) p= -2(6-4)*2 +32 = 24
c) p= -2(4-4)*2 + 32 = 32
D)p= -2(1-4)*2 +32 = 14

ans is option C because it has highst number of pasngrs


in gmat we start substituting from option C which makes this problem much easier
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Posts: 49
Location: India
GPA: 2.85
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 21:50
The negetive sign in the first part of the equation indicates that P will be the largest when (S-4)^2 =0

-> S-4 = 0
S = 4

Therefore Option C
_________________
Regards ,
Dhruv
_________________
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.

Please Give +1 Kudos if you liked the post!!

Thanks :-D
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Posts: 49
Location: India
GPA: 2.85
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 23:22
Prasanna675 wrote:
substitute the value of S so we get no of passengers from the equation

A) p= -2(9-4)*2 +32 = -18
B) p= -2(6-4)*2 +32 = 24
c) p= -2(4-4)*2 + 32 = 32
D)p= -2(1-4)*2 +32 = 14

ans is option C because it has highst number of pasngrs


in gmat we start substituting from option C which makes this problem much easier


How does it make it any easier if we start substituting from Option C ? Won't you still need to substitute in all the OCs ?
Let me know if there is a way. it would be really helpful to minimize time.
_________________
Regards ,
Dhruv
_________________
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.

Please Give +1 Kudos if you liked the post!!

Thanks :-D
Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done.
Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 737
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 00:07
DhruvPatelD10 wrote:
Prasanna675 wrote:
substitute the value of S so we get no of passengers from the equation

A) p= -2(9-4)*2 +32 = -18
B) p= -2(6-4)*2 +32 = 24
c) p= -2(4-4)*2 + 32 = 32
D)p= -2(1-4)*2 +32 = 14

ans is option C because it has highst number of pasngrs


in gmat we start substituting from option C which makes this problem much easier


How does it make it any easier if we start substituting from Option C ? Won't you still need to substitute in all the OCs ?
Let me know if there is a way. it would be really helpful to minimize time.


I've been told the same many times by people. I think the logic behind this rule of thumb for substitution is " most tricky substitution questions have the answer hidden in the bottom 2-3"

It is natural tendency to begin with first option and hence people would burn up their time wasting effort. But again, it's just a theory! I never use substitution ( which can be another drawback - precise solutions can be time consuming themselves !)

Best,
Gladi
_________________
Regards,
Gladi



“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 00:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The number of passengers on a certain bus at any given time is given

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne