GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Sep 2012, 23:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:08) correct 42% (01:13) wrong based on 485 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool.

A. The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
B. The ophthalmologists' offices began the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
C. That ophthalmologists have begun the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once Olympic pool the nearby gymnasium had completed adding
D. The ophthalmologists began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
E. That ophthalmologists' offices began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool

Originally posted by sajini on 17 Sep 2012, 07:07.
Last edited by sajini on 17 Sep 2012, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The ophthalmologist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 08:38
A. The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool --- beginning of selling is an one-time affair; Hence, we need a simple past to describe that. Wrong

B. The ophthalmologists' offices began the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool … began the selling is unidiomatic
C. That ophthalmologists have begun the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once Olympic pool the nearby gymnasium had completed adding ---- 1 a fragment 2. Ophthalmologists have not begun; their offices did. --- Distortion of the original meaning

D. The ophthalmologists began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool ….. Distorted version. It is the offices that began selling; not the ophthalmologists themselves

E. That ophthalmologists' offices began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool – best on all counts tense usage and keeping intact the meaning.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 09:06
sajini wrote:
The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool.

A. The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
B. The ophthalmologists' offices began the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
C. That ophthalmologists have begun the selling of prescription goggles to their customers once Olympic pool the nearby gymnasium had completed adding
D. The ophthalmologists began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool
E. That ophthalmologists' offices began selling prescription goggles to their customers once the nearby gymnasium had completed adding an Olympic size outdoor pool

E: Fragment sentence. The 'That' relative clause could constitute a subject. However, the answer choice as a whole is missing a verb.

Past Perfect: We use the past perfect if one action in the past precedes another past action and if we need to clarify the time sequence. In this problem, the earlier past event 'had completed adding...pool' precedes the ophtalmologists' decision to sell prescription googles to their customers. In addition, the past perfect is correctly used to empahsize the order of events.
As a result, we use the past perfect for the earlier past action and a simple past tense verb for the later one. Answers A & C incorrect.

We are left with B and D:
Answer B: Wrong. 'The selling of prescription googles' is redundant in comparison with 'selling prescription googles'. Pure redundancy is always wrong on the GMAT.

Hence, D correct.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 09:42
You are right. I misread that for the

Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 10:28
but what about meaning distortion? D says ophthalmologists instead of offices; I don't think GMAT will tolerate such a wide distortion.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 09:31
daagh wrote:
but what about meaning distortion? D says ophthalmologists instead of offices; I don't think GMAT will tolerate such a wide distortion.

The goggles in question are prescribed by the ophtalmologists and sold in their offices not by their offices.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2013, 10:52
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 20:09
I see a 3/2 split. With A, B and E using a form of "ophthalmologists' offices" selling the goggles. This doesn't make sense and its a bit awkward since the offices are selling the goggles and not the ophthalmologist.

In C, the use of that at the beginning is awkward and unidiomatic. Therefore, we are left with D which is clearer and to the point.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 10:13
daagh wrote:

Meaning wise also D looks good. ophthalmologists having customers - is logical. ophthalmologists' offices having customers - doesn't convey proper meaning.

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '17

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 00:28
12Sums wrote:
Meaning wise also D looks good. ophthalmologists having customers - is logical. ophthalmologists' offices having customers - doesn't convey proper meaning.

Based on a webinar I attended yesterday, I believe that we have to pick an option which is logically in sync with the original sentence. So, ideally we have to pick an answer choice which is logically similar to the original sentence and is grammatically correct.
Is my above statement correct? If it is, saying that ophthalmologists selling the goggles change the logic of original sentence(which conveys that office is selling goggles).
Option B retains the logic of the original sentence. 'began the selling of' might be a bit verbose but it seems to be grammatically correct. Shouldn't this mean that B is the only option which is both logically in sync with the original sentence and grammatically correct as well?

Could someone please comment on it.

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 11:00
tyl3rdurd3n wrote:
12Sums wrote:

Based on a webinar I attended yesterday, I believe that we have to pick an option which is logically in sync with the original sentence. So, ideally we have to pick an answer choice which is logically similar to the original sentence and is grammatically correct.
Is my above statement correct? If it is, saying that ophthalmologists selling the goggles change the logic of original sentence(which conveys that office is selling goggles).
Option B retains the logic of the original sentence. 'began the selling of' might be a bit verbose but it seems to be grammatically correct. Shouldn't this mean that B is the only option which is both logically in sync with the original sentence and grammatically correct as well?

Could someone please comment on it.

The first part (The ophthalmologists' offices began the selling of prescription goggles) looks fine here in option B. In the second part I think 'ophthalmologists' offices having customers' doesn't seem logical. Even in the question its the same. 'ophthalmologists having customers' sounds more better and logical than 'ophthalmologists' offices having customers'. That's why I chose D.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 23:53
I misread That as The in E and opted E. Now i see why D is right answer . :)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 01:01
is the usage of "once" correct in this context?
should once put forward a future statement. eg: he will[ sell the medicine once he gets it.

Shouldn't it be "since" in this context?
Re: The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling   [#permalink] 25 May 2017, 01:01

The ophthalmologists' offices have begun selling

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap