It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 09:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (00:42) correct 42% (00:31) wrong based on 92 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.

(A) The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students

(B) For undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a two-year course, being a comprehensive introduction to modern physics

(C) A comprehensive introduction was in a two-year course by the physicist Richard Feynman presenting to undergraduate students an introduction to modern physics

(D) Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students

(E) In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 11 Nov 2017, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 09:17
karlfurt wrote:
The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.

A The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.
B For undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a two-year course, being a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.
C A comprehensive introduction was in a two-year course by the physicist Richard Feynman presenting to undergraduate students an introduction to modern physics.
D Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.
E In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.

Had to decide between D and E.

I think E has modifier problem. Left with D. :wink:

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 09:21
Either D or E, originally went for E, sounded right. But looking at what is being modified D is correct

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 10:07
arjsingh1976 wrote:
For me its A.

I think D distorts the meaning here.

A seems to be the answer. I did nt understand the meaning before. :oops:

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 10:15
I would go with 'A'.

Doesn't D have a redundancy (introduce) by saying "Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics " ?

E definitely has subject modifier problem.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 11:17
Yeah D seems to indicate that he introduced modern physics in the curriculum.

To me A just sounds better than E, but I am not able to pin point the exact problem with E. Why exactly is E wrong?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 11:30
mst wrote:
Yeah D seems to indicate that he introduced modern physics in the curriculum.

To me A just sounds better than E, but I am not able to pin point the exact problem with E. Why exactly is E wrong?

E seems to suggest that Fenyman was designed in a two year course :-)

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 17:16
had to decide between D and A.

Go for A, as I cant find anything wrong with it. Would be hard to choose on gameday though...

OA Please???????????

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2006, 17:20
Hmm, I would still go with E. How is this a subject modifier problem?

E In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.

It's not like it says, "Having designed a two-year course designed for undergraduate students"

Just getting started on verbal, any clarifications would be nice.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2006, 07:35
OA E...

Here is the OE :?: :roll:

The clarity of this sentence depends on the correct placement of the prepositional phrase “in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.â€

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2006, 00:06
E is better than A.

A would mean the modern physics is in the 2 year course, while the in the 2 year course is modifying his teaching action.

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2011, 07:00
modifier prob
E is d correct option

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2011, 09:58
==> E

Presentation was not in the 2 yrs cource. The presentation was for the students

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 16

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2011, 11:20
+1 E

I don;t think it was 700 level question.
May be i'm wrong but this is what I personally feel.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 00:36
Aren't v changing the meaning of the sentence then

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 291

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 06:04
karlfurt wrote:

A The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.
B For undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a two-year course, being a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.
C A comprehensive introduction was in a two-year course by the physicist Richard Feynman presenting to undergraduate students an introduction to modern physics.
D Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.

Can any expert please say what is wrong with option D????

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 48

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 11:37
The OA is E. And this is not a manhattan question. The problem with D is that it separates an idea "a comprehensive introduction to modern physics in a two-year course".

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8988 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 10:59
sagarag wrote:
The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics designed for undergraduate students in a two-year course.

A) The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics designed for undergraduate students in a two-year course
B) For undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a two-year course, being a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.
C) A comprehensive introduction was in a two-year course by the physicist Richard Feynman presenting to undergraduate students an introduction to modern physics.
D) Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.
E) In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.

Kudos if you like the question

Dear sagarag,

My friend, please do not post a brand new thread for a question that has already been posted on GC. Always search GC for the question before you start a new thread. I merged your question into a pre-existent thread about the exact same question. If you have any questions about this SC problem, you may find them on this thread; if not, please feel free to ask me anything.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8988 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 259

MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 20:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
• The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics
designed for undergraduate students in a two-year course.

>The physicist presented introduction to students and not physics. Also physics is not designed for students but the course is.

• For undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a two-year course,
being a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.

>The language is awkward. Moreover usage of being. Read the sentence you'll see it doesn't make sense

• A comprehensive introduction [color=#ff0000]was in a two-year course by the[/color] physicist Richard Feynman
presenting to undergraduate students an introduction to modern physics.

> Passive voice and several other errors.

• Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern
physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.

> Perfect . I'll go with this option

In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman
presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.

> The intended meaning is while presenting the introduction, the physicist introduced physics in the course designed for the students.

Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 259

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 241 [1], given: 49

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
A) The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics designed for undergraduate students in a two-year course.
Is "modern physics" designed for "undergraduate students"? No. "modern physics" is universal not just for them.

B) For undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a two-year course, being a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.
1) "being...physics" seems to modify "the physicist"!
2) "the physicist..presented a two year course" TO "undergraduate students" not "FOR undergraduate students"

C) A comprehensive introduction was in a two-year course by the physicist Richard Feynman presenting to undergraduate students an introduction to modern physics.
How can a "A comprehensive introduction" be in "two year course". Students can be in "two year course" or some body can be in a course, not an "introduction".

D) Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.
"1) Presenting..introduction, ...introduced". How many times do you want to "introduce"? Thus this sentence has a redundant usage.
2) Second half "the physicist...students" is perfectly correct.

E) In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.
"In a two-year...students" is NOT a noun modifier. Please note that GMAT does NOT only test noun modifier. There are adverbial modifiers too!
So ask the question, WHERE did the action of "the physicist presented"? happen
Answer: "In a two year....students".

P.S.: Adverbial modifiers do not touch the verb they modify (in this case: "presented") and thus their placement does NOT follow the "touch rule" (sacred for noun modifiers"). This is acceptable.

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Kudos [?]: 241 [1], given: 49

Re: The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2015, 20:15

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 

The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap