Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6041 [166]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [25]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [12]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: The rare bird, considered extinct for over fifty years and actually [#permalink]
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
The rare bird, considered extinct for over fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.

1 The rare bird, considered extinct for fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
2 The rare bird, which had been considered extinct for over fifty years but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
3 The rare bird, which was considered extinct for over fifty years and had actually been thriving in a remote part of the Andes, made a remarkable comeback over the past decade
4 The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made a remarkable comeback.
5 The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made an remarkable comeback.

How would you split this sentence into its clauses?

Concept tested : Proper use of Co-coordinating conjunction
but is the correct conjunction to be used here as we intent to express contrast. This leaves us with B and D. In B past perfect tense is used , however we don't intend to express any sequence in time. Notice that the non underlined part of the sentence use present perfect correctly as we want to establish a time line from the past to the present. Hence D wins. Also don't worry too much about comma placement in D as GMAT doesn't judge an answer on that basis.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [2]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The rare bird, considered extinct for over fifty years and actually [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The rare bird, considered extinct for over fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.

1 The rare bird, considered extinct for fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
2 The rare bird, which had been considered extinct for over fifty years but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
3 The rare bird, which was considered extinct for over fifty years and had actually been thriving in a remote part of the Andes, made a remarkable comeback over the past decade
4 The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made a remarkable comeback.
5 The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made an remarkable comeback.

A conditional clause is required, hence choices not containing but can be removed, so ACE can be removed.
between B and D, D wins due to parallelism. In B "it" is not required.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:

How would you split this sentence into its clauses?

I am gonna split the correct answer only:

The rare bird (subject)was considered extinct for over fifty years(first), was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes(second), and[, over the past decade, MODIFIER] has made an remarkable comeback(third).

Hope this is what you were looking for
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
A. The rare bird, considered extinct for fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
B. The rare bird, which had been considered extinct for over fifty years but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
C. The rare bird, which was considered extinct for over fifty years and had actually been thriving in a remote part of the Andes, made a remarkable comeback over the past decade
D. The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made a remarkable comeback.
E. The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made a remarkable comeback.

The bird was considered extinct, but was still thriving somewhere. To show contrast, a contrasting conjunction is required; hence A and C are out.

E has a list of clauses joined by ',' and 'and'. The option does not highlight the contrast. The three clauses are not even parallel as is required because of the list structure. The bird: was considered, was thriving, has made - all three clauses need to start with 'was', but this will make the sentence nonsensical.

That leaves B and D. The conjunction 'but' requires the two clauses it joins to start with the same word.
B. The bird: which had been considered, but it was thriving. which.., but it was... - Incorrect
D. The bird: was considered extinct, it was thriving - was considered..., but it was thriving... - Correct

I think the 'it' after but, in both B and D, is unnecessary.
Experts, please correct me if I am wrong anywhere in the above explanation. Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
D it is: The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made a remarkable comeback.

faults in bold:
a)The rare bird, considered extinct for fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
b)The rare bird, which had been considered extinct for over fifty years but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
c)The rare bird, which was considered extinct for over fifty years and had actually been thriving in a remote part of the Andes, made a remarkable comeback over the past decade
d)The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, has made a remarkable comeback.---->correct
e)The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, w ----->strange option !! it is not a complete sentence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Kudos
I think option B ("The rare bird, which had been considered extinct for over fifty years but it was actually ") can be eliminated
for the following reason -
we do not have an independent clause before 'but'.
if we use 'but' we should have this structure -- independent clause, BUT independent clause.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [3]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
The bolded comma is not an isolated one but is a part of a pairas follows:

...and, over the last decade, has made a remarkable comeback.

Notice the second comma after the word decade.

Pair of commas are sometimes used to enclose the non essential modifiers in a sentence. Here we have a non essential prepositional modifier "over the last decade" enclosed inside a pair of commas.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Whenever I am assured I have learnt something absolute in sentence correction, some gmat question creates ambiguity yet again.

As per my understanding, whenever we have a comma+conjunction form, it indicates the beginning of a new clause, meaning the noun/pronoun+verb form must exist.

In the correct answer choice, we find that after 'part of the Andes' comma+conjunction form is present, indicating that there should be clause following the conjunction. However we find no clause but rather "........., and, over the past decade, has made a remarkable comeback." Where is the subject/noun/pronoun ? For D to be correct, there must be no comma prior to 'and'.

I request an expert to help me with this predicament.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OreoShake, while I agree that the commas are overdone in D, it's also true that there are very few absolute rules in English grammar! Like it or not, sometimes writers--even GMAT writers!--will insert a comma that doesn't seem necessary. Remember that commas can serve to indicate a pause in speaking and are sometimes used to break up a sentence for greater clarity. Honestly, I was tempted to put a comma before "and are sometimes" in that last sentence, even though it's not the standard! (What do you think? Would it have made the sentence easier to read?) For a good example of a "stray" comma in an official question, see this post (including my comments): https://gmatclub.com/forum/covering-71- ... 06346.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
DmitryFarber wrote:
OreoShake, while I agree that the commas are overdone in D, it's also true that there are very few absolute rules in English grammar! Like it or not, sometimes writers--even GMAT writers!--will insert a comma that doesn't seem necessary. Remember that commas can serve to indicate a pause in speaking and are sometimes used to break up a sentence for greater clarity. Honestly, I was tempted to put a comma before "and are sometimes" in that last sentence, even though it's not the standard! (What do you think? Would it have made the sentence easier to read?) For a good example of a "stray" comma in an official question, see this post (including my comments): https://gmatclub.com/forum/covering-71- ... 06346.html

While, I picked D cuz the meaning in (a) the better grammatical sentence was poor. I have a bit of an issue with putting a conjunction (and) changing the verb tense and having no subject before it.

Is this allowed in English? I always thought when you do parallelism you had to keep the same tense. So normally, in English when I change tense I would have put an "IT" before has made.

https://webapps.towson.edu/ows/shifts.htm

My corrected sentence would be:

The rare bird was considered extinct for over fifty years, but it was actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, and, over the past decade, it has made a remarkable comeback.
Attachments

Sentence.png
Sentence.png [ 144.53 KiB | Viewed 8941 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Kudos
This question hinges on the trick: VERB tense isn't an ISSUE.

The real hidden issues are:

* (1) essential vs non-essential modifier. (If you don't know these, Google is your friend)
* (2) parallelism within (1), preferrably showing contrast

Here it is obvious that the modifier "considered extinct for over fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes" is ESSENTIAL as to explain the "remarkable comeback". "Extinct for over fifty years" and "actually thriving in a remote part of Andes" are contrasting points. It's preferred here to use a contrasting conjunction such as "yet", but", "however", "despite x, y" and etc..

1 The rare bird, considered extinct for over fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade.
=> Essential Modifier
No preferred contrast => Eliminate
=> ", which" is an Non-Essential modifier => Eliminate
Shows contrast
=> ", which" is an Non-Essential modifier => Eliminate
Modifier went into the actual sentence, by definition ESSENTIAL
Shows contrast
Modifier went into the actual sentence, by definition ESSENTIAL
Bonus Mistake: "remarkable comback" is a consequence of "actually thriving" thus those cannot be stated in equal priority - parallel.

Answer:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Could someone please explain why option c is wrong.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Leonaann wrote:
Could someone please explain why option c is wrong.

C is a great example of the emphasis the GMAT places on meaning. From a purely grammatical perspective I don't think you can say that anything is wrong with it, but when you note the contrast between "was considered extinct" and "had actually been thriving in the Andes" those two things don't go together. So joining them with "and" doesn't produce a valid, logical meaning. You wouldn't just say "I've been eating healthier and gaining weight" - those two things seem to be very incompatible...the only reason to write that sentence is to demonstrate that the input (eating healthier) is NOT leading to the predicted output (losing weight, not gaining it). The purpose of this sentence is to show that contrast between "we thought it was extinct" and "but actually it was thriving...it was just living somewhere we hadn't looked."

So phrased this way - which was considered extinct for over fifty years and had actually been thriving in a remote part of the Andes - the sentence has a meaning error. Change that "and" to a "but" and it would work. But as it's written it has a meaning problem.

Check out this official problem that tests the need for contrast the same way:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/with-only-5-percent-of-the-world-s-population-united-states-citizens-80619.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21
Send PM
We can eliminate E for "an remarkable comeback" as well right?

Also is the usage of Had in second option incorrect?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Manat

Yes, “an remarkable” is certainly wrong (if it’s not just a typo).

As for “had been” in C, it’s not necessarily wrong. We thought that the bird was extinct when it had actually been hiding out, and now it is more widespread. C is not the best meaning-wise (as discussed above), but we can’t rule it out on this tense issue.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian
Hello Brian, could you please explain what is wrong with the tense in answer choice B ? In the Official explanation it is just written that "the tense is somewhat illogical ".
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 Unlike C, B fails the test for the usage of past perfect ("had been"). To use past perfect, we need another past event (in simple past tense) that follows the event we're describing. However, B uses the present perfect ("has made"), so we can't use past perfect. It needs to be "X had been happening until/before Y happened."

However, it's easier to cut B for parallelism reasons: "which HAD BEEN but IT WAS." That's the kind of error that you cut without looking back.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts