GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 02:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The rise in sea level cyclones and storms and high temperatures in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The rise in sea level cyclones and storms and high temperatures in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Mar 2019, 18:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:18) correct 11% (01:39) wrong based on 166 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The rise in sea level, cyclones and storms, and high temperatures can destroy hundreds of species of marine turtles, which has been existing for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; it will be a complete tragedy if they had become extinct due to human actions and lack in care.

A) which has been existing for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; it will be a complete tragedy if they had become extinct due to human actions and lack in care

B) which existed for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; it can be a complete tragedy if it became extinct because of human actions and lack in care

C) which have existed for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; it would be a complete tragedy if they were to become extinct as a result of human actions and lack of care

D) which have existed for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; it could be a complete tragedy if they have to become extinct as a result of human actions and lack in care

E) which has been existing for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; it would be a complete tragedy if it must become extinct due to human actions and lack of care

Originally posted by anvesh004 on 05 Dec 2018, 10:48.
Last edited by generis on 22 Mar 2019, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.
Edited and formatted the question
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The rise in sea level cyclones and storms and high temperatures in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 11:05
anvesh004 wrote:
The rise in sea level, cyclones and storms, and high temperatures can destory hundreds of species of marine turtles, which has been existing for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; It will be a complete tragedy if they had become extinct due to human actions and lack in care.

A.) which has been existing for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; It will be a complete tragedy if they had become extinct due to human actions and lack in care

B.) which existed for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; It can be a complete tragedy if it became extinct because of human actions and lack in care

C.) which have existed for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; It would be a complete tragedy if they were to become extinct as a result of human actions and lack of care

D.) which have existed for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; It could be a complete tragedy if they have to become extinct as a result of human actions and lack in care

E.) which has been existing for millions of years in the West Indian Ocean; It would be a complete tragedy if it must become extinct due to human actions and lack of care

With (C) for the highlighted errors in the other options....

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The rise in sea level cyclones and storms and high temperatures in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 11:36
the last art "lack in Care".... is incorrect idiom so eliminate A, B, D.
We need plural "they" which is in C. E has singular-

So keep C
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 19:13
The use of "have" is important here to signify it's agreement with species.

of all the options using this, C is the most appropriate one
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 11:58
I have a Doubt , in option C , We are stating that the Species have existed which means they are not existing anymore.This is a illogical meaning.
V
The rise in sea level cyclones and storms and high temperatures in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 19:28
LoneSurvivor wrote:
I have a Doubt , in option C , We are stating that the Species have existed which means they are not existing anymore.This is a illogical meaning.

LoneSurvivor (great movie, though I am not sure whether that is the reference of the handle :) )

I can understand why you think that "have existed" means that the hundreds of species no longer exist.
I suspect that you are looking at the participle existED.

The participle existed and the past tense of the verb exist are identical.

But participles do not have tense, even though we name them present participle (verbING) and past participle (verbED).

The tense used in (C) is called present perfect.
Generally, present perfect signals that previous actions, events, or their effects are still happening.

Present perfect is constructed this way:
HAS/HAVE [which are present tense verbs] + past participle [verbED]

The helping verbs has and have determine the tense of the verb phrase.
Has and have are present tense.
The past participle does not determine the verb tense. Participles, full stop, do not determine verb tense.

A participle of either kind takes the tense of the helping verb.
(If the participle is not attached to a helping verb, the participle takes its tense from another verb in the sentence.)

English verbs can be very confusing.

Present perfect is used (blue = most common on the GMAT):

when the exact time of an action is unknown or unimportant
-- They have learned to cope with emergencies.

to talk about actions that were repeated between some first time in the past and now
(the interval is not specified)

-- He has traveled to Mexico a few times.
-- She has helped her neighbors frequently.

with JUST, to describe an event or action completed in the very recent past
-- I have just tasted the German pastry you described, and it is indeed delicious. (For Sir Charles. :grin: )
-- Have you just learned how to code?

for actions that started in the past and continue into the present
-- I have read insatiably since I was a child. (I still read constantly.)
-- They have owned that house for more than twenty years. (They still live in that house.)

for actions or events whose time period has not finished
-- She has exercised a lot this week. (She may exercise even more in this week that is not over.)
-- It has been unusually cold this month. (The month is not over.)

In English, present perfect often is used as a bridge from past to present.
The construction in answer (C) is appropriate.

(C) correctly uses have existed:
Hundreds of marine turtle species that are endangered by climate change have existed
for millions of years [and continue to exist, albeit in danger];
IF human action were to result in the species' extinction, that extinction WOULD be a terrible tragedy.

The second part of the sentence is speculation about the future.
The species are not yet extinct. If they were to become extinct, it would be a tragedy.

I hope that analysis clears your doubt.

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
GMAT Club Bot
The rise in sea level cyclones and storms and high temperatures in   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2019, 19:28

The rise in sea level cyclones and storms and high temperatures in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics