It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1095 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 07:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (00:46) correct 36% (01:05) wrong based on 169 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, and with sewage sludge, from being labeled “organic.”

A. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, and with sewage sludge,
B. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, or the use of sewage sludge,
C. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, as well as the use of sewage sludge,
D. genetic engineering, ionizing radiation, and sewage sludge
E. genetic engineering, ionizing radiation, or sewage sludge
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1095 [0], given: 62

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Re: The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 08:38
Option E looks the best out of all.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 98

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 09:43
broall wrote:
The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, and with sewage sludge, from being labeled “organic.”

C. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, as well as the use of sewage sludge,

"grown using " is common for the items in the list ,,,
E is the best,,,maintains parallelism

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 562

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 11:05
broall wrote:

Hi experts what is the difference between "or "and" and " in choices D and E

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 562

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 14:14
I think E is the best option USDA prohibits a, b or c from being labeled "organic"

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 158 [2], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS

- AND changes the original intent since such use means that vegetable would be prohibited only if it is grown using all the 3 methods. Moreover, use of WITH breaks the parallelism. Hence Incorrect.

- Use of THE USE OF breaks the parallelism. Hence Incorrect.

- AS WELL AS changes the original intent. Use of THE USE OF breaks the parallelism. Hence Incorrect.

- AND changes the original intent since such use means that vegetable would be prohibited only if it is grown using all the 3 methods. Hence Incorrect.

CORRECT

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 158 [2], given: 12

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 187

Schools: Haas '20
GPA: 2.99
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 20:48
E looks best.

When providing a list that is independent of each of the other referenced items, OR is used instead of AND. Using AND changes the meaning of the intended sentence.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 187

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Ivey '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 03:45
Hi,
Can anybody please explain how "ionizing radiation" is parallel with "genetic engineering and sewage sludge."?

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 07:07
arvind910619, the difference between 'or' and 'and' is as follows:
-- In baseball, you will be suspended for taking drugs X, Y, or Z -- This means if you take ANY of them, you are suspended.
-- In baseball, you will be suspended for taking drugs X, Y, and Z-- This means you have to take ALL of them to be suspended.

Kevinjoshi,
The three items are parallel because the use of any of them discounts the ability to be labeled 'organic'.

A. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, and with sewage sludge, -- This is saying we can use genetic engineering or radiation and as long as we don't use sewage sludge, then it is organic. I don't think that is what the question is saying.
B. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, or the use of sewage sludge, -- 'using the use of' makes this sentence incorrect
C. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, as well as the use of sewage sludge, -- same as B
D. genetic engineering, ionizing radiation, and sewage sludge -- See my explanation to Arvind above
E. genetic engineering, ionizing radiation, or sewage sludge -- Winner

Does this help?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Ivey '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 20:14
nightblade354 wrote:
-- In baseball, you will be suspended for taking drugs X, Y, or Z -- This means if you take ANY of them, you are suspended.
-- In baseball, you will be suspended for taking drugs X, Y, and Z-- This means you have to take ALL of them to be suspended.

Kevinjoshi,
The three items are parallel because the use of any of them discounts the ability to be labeled 'organic'.

A. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, and with sewage sludge, -- This is saying we can use genetic engineering or radiation and as long as we don't use sewage sludge, then it is organic. I don't think that is what the question is saying.
B. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, or the use of sewage sludge, -- 'using the use of' makes this sentence incorrect
C. genetic engineering or ionizing radiation, as well as the use of sewage sludge, -- same as B
D. genetic engineering, ionizing radiation, and sewage sludge -- See my explanation to Arvind above

Does this help?

nightblade354

Thanks for your detailed explanation. But, I still have a doubt. In the given sentence three items are parallel so if we break the whole sentence into three parts it must make sense.
i.e.

1. The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic engineering from being labeled “organic.”
2. The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using sewage sludge from being labeled “organic.”
3. The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using ionizing radiation from being labeled “organic.”

In the above sentences 1st & 2nd make sense, but the red colored part in the 3rd sentence seems odd to me.
Is my understanding correct or I am missing some basics here??

However, I do agree that out of D & E, E is logical and perhaps the correct answer.

Director
Director
S

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 00:46
broall wrote:

E maintains parallelism in a right way
usage of OR is right,, AND is not correct

Manager
Manager
G

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 05:09
Kevinjoshi wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Kevinjoshi,

Does this help?

nightblade354

Thanks for your detailed explanation. But, I still have a doubt. In the given sentence three items are parallel so if we break the whole sentence into three parts it must make sense.
i.e.

1. The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic engineering from being labeled “organic.”
2. The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using sewage sludge from being labeled “organic.”
3. The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using ionizing radiation from being labeled “organic.”

In the above sentences 1st & 2nd make sense, but the red colored part in the 3rd sentence seems odd to me.
Is my understanding correct or I am missing some basics here??

However, I do agree that out of D & E, E is logical and perhaps the correct answer.

Kevinjoshi,

Are you a native speaker? If so, don't let your ear dictate what is the correct answer. That will trip you up a lot of the time. You have to think logically about each statement and its meaning.

Glad you came around on the correct answer! As long as you understand why, which I think you are getting close to, this was a positive exercise!

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2017, 05:09

The USDA strictly prohibits vegetables that are grown using genetic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap